It's All Over

r10th3r0

It's All Over

Post by r10th3r0 »

I think everything was going really well until the scene at the end when Jack meets his father, and we find out they're all in heaven or something! I figured something was going on when we saw them gathering in a church.

It's not disappointing to find out that these characters died. Sad, of course. But I guess I would have preferred the flash-sideways to have just been an alternative timeline. I'm eager to hear other thoughts!

kalista861

Re: It's All Over

Post by kalista861 »

I agree I was loving it until about the last 15 mins. It was like purgatory. I was let down. I really wanted it to be an alt universe and have them all remember each other and go on to live happy lives. The end scene with Jack was amazing. Ending just like it began.

I do have some questions. Why was Aaron a baby and not a toddler or the age he died at? Why did Claire have to give birth to a dead baby? What happens to Jack's son David? Was ever real to begin with? Why does Desmond get to be with Penny in the church but Locke didn't get to have Helen? WHy are some of them allowed to leave but others can stay like Ben, Daniel, Charlotte, ect.

When Ben was outside and Hurley said he was a good number two: all downhill from there for me. As soon as he said that I realised something really weird was happening. I've chosen to mentaly block out the purgatory part. I was really disappointed by that.

Vince

Post by Vince »

It did some things I expected/hoped for. It didn't do other things I expected/hoped for. I loved it. I hope to be up at 2 AM for the LIVE poscast\ but we'll see... Do you remember? Perry? 420 Brownie? vickih? Corpses? Claude? Justin? There is no now here. :)

Perry

Post by Perry »

So sad it's over. I'm actually glad they don't get another timeline to live in, and that it was some sort of limbo.

Perry

Post by Perry »

I am definitely in no way religious, but I liked it how my favourite TV characters were all back together again, with all the memories of the 6 years of the show. Living out in an alternate timeline, for me, would have been EXTREMELY unsatisfying.
I wasn't invested in the sideways characters as they were seemingly different characters all toghether. So when they all started remembering and we find out they're just dead, I was happy.
Again, it's all about the characters being together.
I hope after some sleep and multiple viewings, C&J will be able to appreciate the show for the story that the characters lived before their demise, and take the whole flashsideways to just be the epilogue, where all the characters are together again, as I said in chat on the podcast.

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

The ending was so emotional and I really feel they fulfilled the "it's all about the characters" aspect. I really loved it as I watched it... until I started to really think about it (which is what I have always done with Lost / why I have always loved Lost / what I thought they wanted me to do with Lost / what made Lost so very different from other shows!) My feeling half an hour after catching my breath is that they ended Lost not in the same spirit that they show existed in, that the show was always about the characters in the Lost world (with mysteries and the promise of answers) and that in 'the end', for whatever reason, they picked pure emotion and went with it, leaving behind everything else. I'm not disappointed. I think it works for me as is and I like I said, I loved it. It's scripted TV over six years and maybe they just couldn't pull off what they seemed to have built up. I think the 'average' person will think it great, while those of us who slightly obsess over the show will see, especially in this final season, a bit of a mess made of the plot details and a real disregard for that aspect of the shows greatness.

(This is just my thoughts, until C&J walk me through it...)

Jeri

Post by Jeri »

I posted this on the blog, too.. but:
If you would have told me I was going to love that finale, I would have said you were absolutely crazy, but, I did. As I Tweeted, it feels finished, and at The End, the only thing I could sit and think about was that I felt satisfied.
Can't wait to hear what the LLD community has to say - at least I haven't lost you guys yet!

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

So I just finished watching. IMO this is one of the best episode of the series.
(Stream of consciousness ahead)
I cried more in the last 15 minutes than I've ever since I was a teenager. That Christian-Jack scene will go down in history as probably the most iconic scene of LOST. 6 years in the making that scene did not disappoint one bit. I've heard several people complain that the ending was too "religious", the ending was not religious at all, it was spiritual and as an Athiest I'm perfectly fine with it. That ending man... I was already a mess at that point but when Vincent shows up and sits with Jack to make sure that Jack doesn't die alone it absolutely killed me...oh so good. People praise Terry O' Quinn and Michael Emerson's acting and they deserve it but Mathew Fox is the most underrated actor on the show. Someone give this man an emmy. Everything felt so EARNED. I'm going to miss these characters so much.

bob.m

Post by bob.m »

I enjoyed the ending. I'm glad that the sideways universe was not really an alternate timeline. I couldn't think of any way to resolve the two realities that would have seemed satisfying. I kept imagining people that died in the original timeline crossing over from the sideways timeline (which would have been crappy). The resolution that we had also allowed us to get the scene between Jack and Christian that we all wanted. I know some people are upset with the ending, but I thought it was perfect.

Here's to D&C for giving us 6 years of intelligent television. And here's to C&J for helping to migrate all of us from everyday fans to nit-picking obsessed fanatics.

Perry

Post by Perry »

Aaaaaah, it's good to hear from others who liked the episode.
The podcast seemed to be hating on it quite a bit, but i'll keep telling myself that people were tired and delusional. :)

David3

Post by David3 »

I'm really sad to see the show end.

I really enjoyed the finale and, after watching it a couple of time, have no problem with the ending.

I know there are many people who are upset by unaswered questions, but I realized two things while watching this season. There weren't a ton of answers coming and even when they did answer questions, the answers were never as good as I imagined they would be. I'd rather have no answer, than a bad answer that was forced into the story.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

Man I've been reading what some other people thought about the episode and it seems to me a lot of those who disliked the episode have completely missed the point- I can't believe how many people actually think that even what happened on the island was "purgatory".

David3

Post by David3 »

TheRadioTower wrote:Man I've been reading what some other people thought about the episode and it seems to me a lot of those who disliked the episode have completely missed the point- I can't believe how many people actually think that even what happened on the island was "purgatory".
That seems to be the big misconception. There are many people who clearly wern't listening to what Christian was saying to Jack. he told Jack that everything was real and that people died before and long after him.

I think the plane wreckage footage that was shown during the credits confused a lot of people. They took that to mean there were no survivors of 815.

420brownie

Post by 420brownie »

Yeah, kinda disappointing that so many seem to have missed the point. I've seen some on-line articles today from some pretty big sites (MSNBC, MTV) that basically reported that the whole 6-season show was about purgatory.

I have to say that the big reveal was maybe not my preferred choice (if D & C had given us a list of possibilities, this may not have been the one I picked), but with that said, I really can't imagine it ending with better finality, and in a way that touched me emotionally as much as this did. I think that's the thing most surprising about the finale for me, I didn't expect to be moved quite like I was. I was prepared for action, suspense, some kinda crazy ending, but the way they worked the relationships and reunions and reawakenings was just something that I had not anticipated.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

420brownie wrote:Yeah, kinda disappointing that so many seem to have missed the point. I've seen some on-line articles today from some pretty big sites (MSNBC, MTV) that basically reported that the whole 6-season show was about purgatory.
Add LA Times to that list http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 9843.story . Epic facepalm at the reviewer. It's annoying that legitimate publications like LA Times are getting something as basic as this wrong. There are lots of things to interpret about the finale but this is not one of them. I don't know how the show could have made it any more clearer that the island stuff was real.

JanicM

Post by JanicM »

Unlike TheRadioTower, I'm not happy with this ending at all as an atheist, the whole idea of an afterlife, no matter which religion, is ridiculous to me but ok. I would 've preferred a more open-ended answer actually that encouraged at least speculation to a certain extend. At least I wouldn't have sat there during the finale moments of Lost cringing, while other moments during the last 6 seasons actually managed to blow me away.

On the other hand, I loved the island part with Jack going back to his old spot to die. He used to be one of my least favorite characters but the character development over the last 6 seasons (in particular: The season 4 finale where he hit rock bottom after being "the hero" on the island and the whole storyline with Locke) made him very likable in the end.
"Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it."

Perry

Post by Perry »

TheRadioTower wrote:
420brownie wrote:Yeah, kinda disappointing that so many seem to have missed the point. I've seen some on-line articles today from some pretty big sites (MSNBC, MTV) that basically reported that the whole 6-season show was about purgatory.
Add LA Times to that list http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 9843.story . Epic facepalm at the reviewer. It's annoying that legitimate publications like LA Times are getting something as basic as this wrong. There are lots of things to interpret about the finale but this is not one of them. I don't know how the show could have made it any more clearer that the island stuff was real.
omg, that is ridiculous that LA Times article. Clearly they only watched the last episode and not any others.

Lostman

Post by Lostman »

When I first saw the finale I was impressed with the action and the emotional remembrance moments throughout...then in the last 20 minutes I was kind like in shock and confusion and trying to fully understand what exactly was happening...i wasn't really feeling it like I should...kinda lost...I let it sink in for an hour and figured out what the hell was going on and rewatched the last half hour and you know what I freaking loved it...because what really got to me, really a slight tear, on the second viewing was that Ben was just sitting outside not being able to join our other Losties inside and asking Locke for forgiveness and getting it...then the Hurley saying that Ben was a great number two just killed me...great moments...the rest was said perfectly by Christian and I just loved it man...Vincent at the end was impactful too...The sideways purgatory answer may be different than what we hoped for but I think for me it worked and it gives me a sense of closure for these characters...im not even religious but this spiritual happy ending for people I've seen for six years was satisfying...a rewatch I think really helps you appreciate the finale and what they did

Perry

Post by Perry »

I liked the finale the 1st time I watched it and it got even better the more I watched it.
Man, I can admit, I welled up the 1st viewing, but broke on the 2nd. So sad it's over. I had to rewatch the Jimmy Kimmel Special to cheer myself up.

CorpsesAndChaos

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

all after life / dominant religious story lines can fuck off.
so weak.
to go from the Pilot to this lame ending seriously just pooped the entire shows diaper. opened (or closed) a huge can of worms too for some of the religious-weirdo watchers.

listen for yourself for laughs. WARNING - Sodomy, Abortion and homophobia are mentioned (Starts about 15 min in) and it is on a local Des Moines sports talk radio show. absolutely brutal:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/ ... he_Morning

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

^^ I skimmed through that link and it's just depressing. It sucks crazy people interpret something you love to fit their crazy worldview. Like with The Dark Knight conservatives interpreted it to mean as George Bush allegory, with Bush being batman and the Joker being the terrorists. They are wrong about one thing, Mr Friendly was gay and there was a strong rumor that Boone was also gay, Darlton refused to confirm or deny it.

JanicM

Post by JanicM »

CorpsesAndChaos wrote:all after life / dominant religious story lines can fuck off.
so weak.
This.

I was a-okay with the characters on the show being religious and with the religious references but this ending is basically a big fuck-you to all atheists or science-oriented viewers (which I would imagine there are quite a lot in the Lost community). I could watch this ending 700 times and I couldn't enjoy it, there's just no way I can make it work for myself. I just wish they would 've at least left some room for interpretation.
"Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it."

folie a deux

Post by folie a deux »

My complaint with how they ended the show really has nothing to do with what they did give us, but my problem is with what they didn't give us.

I thought the ending was really cool and interesting and mysterious. I like that Jack's conversation with his dad at the end of the episode had Jack ask:
JACK: Where we going?
and his dad responded with:
CHRISTIAN: Let's go find out.
Then when they join the others in the church Christian opens the door and everyone is bathed in light.
This leaves the very end open to interpretation and I think this is a very good thing. Because in the real world we all have our own personal opinions about what happens when you die, or conversely what doesn't happen when you die. BUT here is the thing, NOBODY knows for sure. And so, this type of ending really makes you think and wonder about the possibilities. Even if it makes you think, "That is just stupid." Well at least it got you thinking about it on some level. And for the curious, I personally don't believe in an afterlife, and I don't believe in an all powerful all knowing god, but I as I said I do like how they ended LOsT. Religion can be a good thing, but it doesn't have a very good track record IMO. A lot of wars have been fought, a lot of people have died, and a lot of people have been exploited just because some zealot said "Hey my god is better than your god."

Now for the bad.
For such an interesting and intricately written show with a huge cast and multiple plot lines that overlapped in exciting and often brilliant ways, I feel IMO that they really just left too many loose ends. There are so many mysteries just left hanging, heck there are several mysteries that were introduced once and never brought up again. Now when a story does that once or twice it can be interesting and intriguing, but over 6 seasons of LOsT they did this over and over and over again. So without any resolution to these mysteries it comes off as gimmicky, just a writing device to keep you reading (or watching in this case) with no real intention by the writer to pay off this huge debt of mysteries.
I don't expect be given every puzzle piece and the real world logistics of producing a TV show often presents legitimate problems that prevent this from happening. Such as child actors growing up, actors wanting to leave the show, and so on. These types of problems are unfortunate, but can't be blamed on the show runners. However, there are so many mysteries and plot lines that were just abandoned and had nothing to do with the problems mentioned above. These are the loose ends I am talking about. And you know, my real compliant is that the writers could have done a better job of tying up the vast number of loose ends just hanging out there. They could still leave certain things open to interpretation, but I just wanted a little more. Now you might ask, well how much more would have been enough? Fair question. I guess I don't know how much I need to be satisfied, I just know that for the mysteries I was interested in I didn't get enough.

For anyone who likes to say "what do you want to be spoon fed" or "can't you use your imagination" Well... no I don't want to be spoon fed, but I do want the table set and have plenty of food on my plate, and you know what I might want a second helping too. And yes I can use my imagination, but when I read a book, watch a movie or TV show I am doing so because I am interested in the writers imagination and sorry, but I want them to tell me what they are thinking.

LOsT is my all time favorite show. I really enjoyed what they gave us, and I think they did give us a lot. But I call me greedy, I want more.

I posted this on another forum that I frequent, but as a long time LLD listener I thought I would see what everyone here thinks.

LoudonT

Post by LoudonT »

TheRadioeTower wrote:
Sat May 29, 2010 10:21 pm
^^ I skimmed through that supplements for muscle gain link and it's just depressing. It sucks crazy people interpret something you love to fit their crazy worldview. Like with The Dark Knight conservatives interpreted it to mean as George Bush allegory, with Bush being batman and the Joker being the terrorists. They are wrong about one thing, Mr Friendly was gay and there was a strong rumor that Boone was also gay, Darlton refused to confirm or deny it.
I don't get the end, were they all dead or what?
Last edited by LoudonT on Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

LOL

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

LoudonT wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:28 am
I don't get the end, were they all dead or what?
They were definitely all what.

Return to “6x17: The End”