Comments

The wait begins...
Stephen
Site Admin

Comments

Post by Stephen »

Ben clearly has passport making facilities, so I assumed in the boat was two fake passport and enough cash to get on their feet.

Crashing into a building is a terrible idea. That would cause loads of property and structural damage and possibly hurt anybody who may be inside the building. Plus they probably just wanted to tie in his future employment on a ship with his past suicide attempt.

Justin's backwards. Holland is part of the Netherlands, not the other way around.

Savard

Re: Comments

Post by Savard »

And Holland is also used as a synonym for the Netherlands.

As for your aircraft speed discussion, it may be my job to shed some light here:

A normal long range Airliner like a Boeing 777 or 747 usually cruises at mach .85. The fastest businessjets (out of my head) are the Gulfstream V and the Global Express doing mach .90 at the very max. assuming the aircraft fly at roughly the same altitude (likely) have the same weather conditions (temperature), that's a speed difference of 30knots, which means 30 nautical miles per hour. assuming a ground speed of 500kts for a 747 a trip of 6000nm takes 12 hours. if we take a speed of 530kts for a high performance businessjet, it does the 6000nm in a time of roughly 11 hours 20 minutes. That shows, while there is a speed difference (and btw most business jets are *slower* than an airliner), it's too small to play a role in your plothole discussions...

/smartassmode OFF

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

I really like your theory about Tom switching the gun, Claude, but I'm afraid Lindelof has basically said it's the island. Heres the quote from this EW article http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20185253,00.html

''Yes, you'll find out a lot about Michael. But you'll ALSO learn why bearded Jack was unable to jump. AND where the Others are holed up. AND, according to those silly promos, apparently someone dies, too.''

Also, about the timeline of when Tom could have been in Manhatten, isn't there something funky going on with the time relationship between the island and the real world? So maybe that has something to do with it.

Also, I think they could still do a Rousseau flashback if she's dead. Remember in Ben's flashback we saw him get born, do you really think he remembered that? They're doing flashfowards and all kinds of shit now so I don't think they mind breaking the rules again. It could be like "The Other 48 Days", a "special" episode that's one big Rousseau flashback.

By the way, Justin, you have a surprisingly good late-night radio voice. :)

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

I thought that Jack could have jumped, but chose not to when he saw the car crash. Is the idea supposed to be that the island made the car crash, knowing that it would cause Jack not to jump? I think that's kind of crappy on the island's part, you'd think it could use its magic without so much collateral damage. Kind of like "God" causing the plane to crash so Jack can fix Ben.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

GOD CAN'T SEE THIS PLACE

David3

Post by David3 »

Justin wrote:Is the idea supposed to be that the island made the car crash, knowing that it would cause Jack not to jump?
Unfortunately, based on the quote, I think that's what we're supposed to believe.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

I think the problem with the "Island" is that it might be specifically "Jacob." In that case, I would expect it to be biased and unyielding in its power, since "Jacob" suggest a person of some sort, with a will and perhaps emotions.

If Jacob is the one who caused the car crash, then sadly, he's just as morally-crappy as the people who follow him.

But if on the other hand, the magic is due to the island, some sort of non-human Gaia, then I feel that I wouldn't expect it to do something like hurt innocent people (when it really could have just let Jack jump and not drown or get too hurt from the impact).

The more that I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Jacob and the Island are exactly the same. Think about it, we largely got the word "Island" from the Losties, people who don't know about Jacob or the nature of the forces on the island. When we first hear about Jacob, it's from The Others, people who know what's going on on the Island.

I think it's two interpretations of the same thing. It's like when you're a kid and you tell mommy you saw Santa Claus. Mommy doesn't tell you that Santa Claus is really daddy in a costume. ('Cause mommy's drunk on eggnog)

And the times that The Others uses "The Island" I would guess are only when they're talking to a Lostie-- in their vernacular.

Why do Jacob and Smokey seem eerily analogous to an old man and his dog?

This is almost like if a group of city folk got lost in the wilderness. But a crazy old man lived there, along with people who followed him. And he had a real big dog that roamed the area.

Mix with 2 cups of magic and 3 tablespoons of sci-fi, bake at 9 on Thursdays, and you have Lost.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

I agree 100% with what you said, Claude. I remember vaguely Darlton saying Jacob is a central figure to the overall mythology and story and I think they compared him to the emperor from star wars.

Return to “Podcast #45”