Site Admin

New Mr. Podcast! (#11)

Post by Stephen »

Jen

Re: New Mr. Podcast! (#11)

Post by Jen »

Claude--
re: "agility like this"

This almost exact interchange occurs when buster is back from "army" and walks in on gob in lucille 2's "robe and slippies." they decide that she is 2 timing them both with Stan Sitwell, and gob says that they need to find her, but their going to need to be sleuthful. buster, who is still at the front door talking to gob, disappears for 10 min or so and then appears behind gob with a knife to his neck and says "you mean like this?"
So this was a cumbersome description, but this is exactly the genius of arrested. they were really committed to their long time fans, and when you rewatch (which i have done upwards of 5x per season, 1 and 2 more like 8x), you grab onto things like that. Like in one episode in S3 when George Sr tells michael that he is going to recommit to Lucille, he replies with the same "her?" that everyone always uses from Bland, I mean Ham, I mean Egg, I mean Annhog, I mean Ann.

Best. Comedy. Ever. (S1 and 2, but Justine Bateman in S3 is priceless)

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Her?

I'm surprised C&J Did not mention Firefly. It has a lot of parallels with AD.
  • Canceled by fox
  • Great DVD sales
  • Movie (Serenity) ended up being made.
I always noticed Justice jumping into the trash can.

it's so crazy how well organized AD is. they are either genius at improvising or it was elaborately planned out from day 1.

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

I've never seen firefly, although it is on my "must watch" list.

Jen

Post by Jen »

re: financial crisis

I cannot recommend highly enough the 3 pieces done by NPR News and This American Life. Very accessible and very interesting. Justin, you will have to get over the music beds or whatever you call them.

http://www.thislife.org/Economy.aspx

in chronological order:
The Giant Pool of Money. We explain it all to you. What does the housing crisis have to do with the turmoil on Wall Street? Why did banks make half-million dollar loans to people without jobs or income? And why is everyone talking so much about the 1930s?

Another Frightening Show About the Economy. Alex Blumberg and NPR's Adam Davidson are back. They'll explain what has happened in the news recently, including what regulators could've done to prevent this financial crisis from happening in the first place.

Bad Bank. The collapse of the banking system explained, in just 59 minutes. When we talk about an insolvent bank, what does it actually mean, and why are we giving hundreds of billions of dollars to rich bankers who screwed up their own businesses?

Jen

Post by Jen »

One of the points that comes up in the Bad Banks episode is that the stimulus package is cast as an effort to get banks lending, and that people have gotten very angry that the gvt has given money to illiquid banks, and the banks have kept it instead of lending it. But the banks NEED to keep that money, bc the reason they are illiquid is because they do not have enough capital to cover their liabilities (ie, your savings, tho don't worry, the FDIC has you covered up to 250k) and the assets that they thought 2 years ago more than covered them with a huge profit (mortgages, which, once defaulted, could be flipped and the bank could make $$$--- in a sellers market) are now worth nearly nothing.
Furthermore, getting the banks lending again is the OPPOSITE of what we want to do, bc consumer debt has exceeded GDP, and the las time that happened was in the Great Depression! Lending sounds like a great idea, but it is what got us into this mess.
Everyone is so scared of the idea of nationalizing the banks, but the way that would work is really chill and NECESSARY. The gvt would basically shut down the banks for a weekend, cleanse their assets-- look in their books to see what they are hiding-- and resell the banks to new investors as soon as possible, probably in just a matter of days. The IMF has done this repeatedly in other countries and the US has condoned it in situations almost exactly like ours. We have done it regionally (in the 80s, the REAGAN admin did it in TX and OK) The only reasons we haven't done it yet are A) America still thinks it plays by different rules, and B) Obama is too concerned about his image among Conservatives. SAVE OUR FUCKING COUNTRY, BARRY, AND NATIONALIZE THE BANKS.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Justin wrote:I've never seen firefly, although it is on my "must watch" list.
You should also watch The Prisoner.

Jen

Post by Jen »

Also, can I come on some day and explain what is wrong with Obama's plan for education? Please, please, please???

Jen

Post by Jen »

I think that the reason so many students are so discouraged when a teacher doesnt immediately know an answer is bc of the dominant attitude of learning and teaching.
The conventional understanding of the teacher student exchange is Teacher has Knowledge, Teacher gives Knowledge to Student, Student takes Knowledge and is thus Taught. Paolo Freire called this methodology the “banking” system of education. If teachers recast learning as a lifelong process and teaching as a dialogical action, then there is not that sense of embarrassment/defensiveness/hurt pride in the teacher who doesnt know an answer, or the consequent hopelessness of a student who thinks, "If my teacher doesnt even know...", but rather a really useful demonstration of figuring out something using the tools one has.

Jeri

Post by Jeri »

Jen wrote:re: financial crisis

I cannot recommend highly enough the 3 pieces done by NPR News and This American Life. Very accessible and very interesting. Justin, you will have to get over the music beds or whatever you call them.

http://www.thislife.org/Economy.aspx

in chronological order:
The Giant Pool of Money. We explain it all to you. What does the housing crisis have to do with the turmoil on Wall Street? Why did banks make half-million dollar loans to people without jobs or income? And why is everyone talking so much about the 1930s?

Another Frightening Show About the Economy. Alex Blumberg and NPR's Adam Davidson are back. They'll explain what has happened in the news recently, including what regulators could've done to prevent this financial crisis from happening in the first place.

Bad Bank. The collapse of the banking system explained, in just 59 minutes. When we talk about an insolvent bank, what does it actually mean, and why are we giving hundreds of billions of dollars to rich bankers who screwed up their own businesses?
these were great - I even used them while trying to explain this mess to my kids

Jen

Post by Jen »

I'm glad you found them useful!

Return to “Mr. Podcast”