The new video game Lost: Via Domus

Discuss the show...
Claude
Site Admin

The new video game Lost: Via Domus

Post by Claude »

It's pretty interesting. Anyone else playing it?

The game is setup like the show, with certain parts being the teaser, and certain sections of game play being "episodes." So after you complete the first level, you get a very spot on "Last time on Lost" recap-- showing the very scenes you've just played!

The game makes great strides in making you feel apart of the Lost world. The game starts with you (a character added in the game, not on the show) on Flight 815. It's cool to see the plane break apart from a first-person person perspective. Then, a la Jack, you wake up in the jungle. The game even starts this scene on your character's eye.

The chaos and wreckage on the beach was done fairly well. You can go to different people and see if they need your help. You find Locke laying on the ground, okay, but not moving his legs. I really wish I could someone tell him that I know the wheelchair "over yonder" is his, and urge him to stay on his path. I also want to warn Michael that Walt will be kidnapped, and that no one shows up to his funeral but a very distraught Jack. But alas, the character you play is just as ignorant to what's going to happen as everyone else.

Getting to Jack is the key, as he tells you that you need to stop the fuel line on the fuselage from exploding. He's of course too busy trying to keep someone alive. This is the first puzzle of the game, and I'm sure there are many. Here, you have to insert a series of fuses in the correct order, in order to reroute the fuel line or some other nonsense. It took me forever to figure out exactly what to do, which is good because I don't want the plane to blow up and

The game throws in it's own events, too. You're not just playing the TV show. Your character has amnesia (lame!) and doesn't really know his past. This is where the flashbacks come in. Every so often, the game flashes back to an earlier time in your character's life. You then have to use your camera to take a picture of key subjects, then use that picture to remember the relevant information. This is not my favorite part of the game.

The worst part of the game, thus far, is the voice acting. They didn't get any of the actual Lost actors to do the voice, which is a real low down and quite dirty shame. Especially since so much of the game feels very real. If it were actually Jack and Locke you were talking to, with the real voices, it would be so much better.

An interesting side effect from having watched the show is that I don't really care to ask my fellow Losties "general" questions about what's going. When Kate, Jack, and Charlie come running out of the jungle, fleeing from Smokey, I know asking them "what was that" isn't going to get me any answers. Similar questions like, "What happened to the plane," "Where are we" etc, -- I know none of these people know. So, in terms of game play, it seems useless to ask.

I can't wait to see where the story goes/how far into the show the game gets. I wonder if Ben will show up. Though if they didn't get Michael Emmerson to do the voice, why bother?

Stephen
Site Admin

Re: The new video game Lost: Via Domus

Post by Stephen »

Oh neat, it's available for PC. And it's less than $30. I don't have a fancy computer, just a few year old Compaq with 512 mb of ram. the Lostpedia page says I need a super video card or something. Is this true?

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Yeah, the game is pretty graphics heavy. Actually, the graphics are better than I would expect for a TV show game. 512 ram would be hard pressed to carry this game.

Here's the minimum system requirements. They seem pretty strict, especially the part about which video cards are supported, which will trump the issue of if you have enough ram/etc.

Supported OS: Windows Vista / XP (only)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon MP 2400+ (3.5 GHz Pentium 4/AMD Athlon or 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo/Athlon 64 X2 recommended)
RAM: 1 GB (2 GB recommended)
Video Card: 128 MB DirectX 9.0c–compliant, Shader 3.0–enabled video card (256MB recommended) (see supported list)*
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c–compliant sound card
DirectX Version: 9.0c (included on disc)
DVD-ROM: 4x DVD-ROM drive
Hard Drive Space: 5 GB
Peripherals Supported: Mouse, keyboard, Windows compliant gamepad or joystick

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI RADEON X1300-1950 /HD 2000 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6600-6800 / 7 / 8 series

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported.

These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Wait this is not for mac? Booo.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

You-Know-Who wrote:Wait this is not for mac? Booo.
Macs luck out in the video game department. That's why they look so pretty!

If you have a fairly powerful mac, you could get one of those programs that let you run windows on it. Though that would be a lot of time and money for a Lost video game.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Ya, I have boot camp on my mac that lets me run windows. The problem is I don't know if I have a windows xp/vista disc lying around to install on my mac, and I'm really not going to go out and buy xp/vista just for a Lost game. :)

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

It hasn't gotten great reviews. Someone said the game is only for hard core Lost fans, but that it will simultaneously disappoint them.

I just passed the part when you have to get to the cockpit. It was scary as hell hearing the classic Smokey noises, and actually seeing Smokey prowl in the distance. I even was killed by it once.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Man, Claude you're living the life, traipsing around the jungle getting killed by smokey. Out of curiosity, what happens when Smokey kills you, does the screen fade to black or do you get to live in the belly of smokey and learn all of it's secrets?

Luberian Lustus

Post by Luberian Lustus »

I love adventure games.. but this was not too good. short game, just finished it. the same shitty puzzles over and over and that silly ol' smoke crawling up your ass. watch out for gray matter and a vampire story instead. comming out soon.

Return to “About Lost”