Discuss the show...
Jen

lolz

Post by Jen »

Claude
Site Admin

Re: lolz

Post by Claude »

Those things are like Magic Eye Posters to me, I just don't see what everyone else sees.

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

Hmm, I know I'm 'older than my years'...but, ah, I don't even understand what that's all about?!?

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

They're trying too hard.

Jen

Post by Jen »

muttonboy wrote:Hmm, I know I'm 'older than my years'...but, ah, I don't even understand what that's all about?!?
I know what you mean. I have the (mis?)fortune of supervising student employees for a so-called living. One day I came into work and saw that one of them had drawn an 'lol cat' on the sign up sheet; said cat was saying: "Can I Haz Lekter?" I nearly fired every last one of them.
Sometimes I am really surprised by the range of types Lost attracts. Sigh.

paul in vegas

Post by paul in vegas »

Jen wrote:
muttonboy wrote:Hmm, I know I'm 'older than my years'...but, ah, I don't even understand what that's all about?!?
I know what you mean. I have the (mis?)fortune of supervising student employees for a so-called living. One day I came into work and saw that one of them had drawn an 'lol cat' on the sign up sheet; said cat was saying: "Can I Haz Lekter?" I nearly fired every last one of them.
Sometimes I am really surprised by the range of types Lost attracts. Sigh.

i still don't get it

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

The worst thing about lolcatz (besides the lol and the z) is that it's about cats. Cats just aren't jokesters. I could see a dog being playful enough to pull off some of that stuff. Dogs are always up for a good time. But cat's used to be worshiped for the ground the walk on for centuries. They really don't care. I bet they at least think their above lolcatz.

Cat's don't have the personality to be in on the joke, if you ask me. So it just turns into contrived pictures with contrived grammatically incorrect text on top. And like most animal cruelty, it's not funny.

I think it's humor for specific kinds of people. I guess let's be happy they have something to laugh at so they don't start a rampage and start putting their friends/family in lolpeoplez, which would probably get popularized as lolpeepz.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Claude wrote:The worst thing about lolcatz (besides the lol and the z) is that it's about cats. Cats just aren't jokesters. I could see a dog being playful enough to pull off some of that stuff. Dogs are always up for a good time. But cat's used to be worshiped for the ground the walk on for centuries. They really don't care. I bet they at least think their above lolcatz.

Cat's don't have the personality to be in on the joke, if you ask me. So it just turns into contrived pictures with contrived grammatically incorrect text on top. And like most animal cruelty, it's not funny.

I think it's humor for specific kinds of people. I guess let's be happy they have something to laugh at so they don't start a rampage and start putting their friends/family in lolpeoplez, which would probably get popularized as lolpeepz.

Who is this impostor?

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

Jebus!!! I'm educated (that's all a writer is, after all!!!), I do well watching Jeopardy (and the Price is Right), I know what to eat and what not to eat when the apocalypse comes and there's no more corn/cheetos (pine-needle tea avoids scurvy in the wintery north!), I can play street hockey, beer-league soccer, and invisible-ball catch, I can fly a plane (because I get it that pushing down makes you go up and vice versa), and given a week I can finish a New York Time Crossword (though I never check the answer): BUT.... I still don't even know what the heck this whole post is about?!?!?!? PLEASE, it's driving me mad, someone explain it to me!!!!!! (JEN, I FEEL FOR YOUR SO-CALLED LIVING: HELP ME OUT HERE, EH!)

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Jen

Post by Jen »

thank you, stephen. and i apologize to all (especially muttonboy, our resident survivalist and milk boiler) for inciting such confused fervor.
i will certainly think twice before my next post, but at least it gave us something to theorize over during the hiatus.
oh, and i'll be sure to try that pine-needle tea next time i'm sailin' the seven seas. yar.

Jen

Post by Jen »

Claude wrote:Cat's don't have the personality to be in on the joke, if you ask me. So it just turns into contrived pictures with contrived grammatically incorrect text on top..
I like to think that if cats (catz?) did deign us with their speech, they would speak the queen's english.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Some of the cat ones are actually funny, if you relish in stupid humor that is... http://icanhascheezburger.com/

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Claude wrote:I could see a dog being playful enough to pull off some of that stuff. Dogs are always up for a good time.
http://ihasahotdog.com/

Jen

Post by Jen »

You-Know-Who wrote:Some of the cat ones are actually funny, if you relish in stupid humor that is... http://icanhascheezburger.com/
i do sort of this this, grammatically correct and suitably pretentious lol cat
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/01/1 ... interests/

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Jen wrote:
You-Know-Who wrote:Some of the cat ones are actually funny, if you relish in stupid humor that is... http://icanhascheezburger.com/
i do sort of this this, grammatically correct and suitably pretentious lol cat
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/01/1 ... interests/
That one is actually good. Definitely the best lolcat I've ever seen. It's not over the top, and the cat is actually selling it.

That's what's missing from these. What the animal is saying just doesn't match their expression. Even (to my chagrin) the dog ones (which I still think work a bit more than the cat ones) aren't that great.

But in this one, the cat is making a statement, and he seems like he means it. And I like the fact he doesn't tell us what his interests are. It's too much already that he has interests. Great find, Jen. I think we have a model for all of these now.

Maybe "This is relevant to my interests" should go on all of them!

This one could have been funny if they really committed to the premise: http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpre ... sh-cat.jpg

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Claude wrote:This one could have been funny if they really committed to the premise: http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpre ... sh-cat.jpg
I think the cat should have more of a humorous expression. It's just kinda staring at you...

Jen

Post by Jen »

Claude wrote: This one could have been funny if they really committed to the premise: http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpre ... sh-cat.jpg
you know what's great? i had not seen this cat when I said earlier that I felt cats should speak the Queen's English.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Have you seen Disney's The Aristocats? Because those are some high-brow cats that speak very properly (especially the "mama"), I'm not exactly sure what the accent is... It's set in france so maybe it's french britishfied?
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

Whenever I think of cats I think of one thing: my mom had a chubby orange cat when I was kid, and it would sit on the floor in front of the TV, then splay its legs and lick itself while squinting its eyes at me like Clint Eastwood (and this is back when I would watch TV while laying on the floor with my chin in my hands). I never pictured it speaking any kind of proper English...

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

If dogs and cats spoke in british accents I do feel like cats would speak in the higher class accent, they just feel more regal than dogs. Dogs don't mind getting dirty, cats are above that kinda stuff.

Jen

Post by Jen »

You-Know-Who wrote:If dogs and cats spoke in british accents I do feel like cats would speak in the higher class accent, they just feel more regal than dogs. Dogs don't mind getting dirty, cats are above that kinda stuff.
yeah, and dogs would speak like lovable chimney sweeps and newsies. cats snicker at your low-class, yankee ways.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Could that also reflect on people with dogs and/or cats as pets. People who own dogs are more playful, and people who own cats are more reserved?

Jen

Post by Jen »

You-Know-Who wrote:Could that also reflect on people with dogs and/or cats as pets. People who own dogs are more playful, and people who own cats are more reserved?
perhaps, but i own a cat and speak cockney. plus i doubt anyone would call me reserved.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

I think it might be less about being playful/reserved and maybe more about how much you're willing to put into taking care of an animal. Dogs need way more attention than cats. But dogs, I think, are more grateful, and give back more.

When you see homeless guy trekking down the highway, you'll see a bedraggled dog following him wherever he goes. A cat would be like, peace out!

Jen

Post by Jen »

Claude wrote:When you see homeless guy trekking down the highway, you'll see a bedraggled dog following him wherever he goes. A cat would be like, peace out!
Once, my roommate (4 months younger than me) and I were walking out of the train station and there was a homeless man sitting at the top with a box of kittens. I sort of cooed at the kittens and the man turned to my roommate and said "See how happy these kittens make your beautiful daughter? If you could spare some change I'll let her take one home with you."

Return to “About Lost”