The Coffin

Discuss the show...
David3

The Coffin

Post by David3 »

Assuming that we find out find out who's in the coffin this season, who is everyone's guess as to who is in it?

The only people I think we can rule out are the Oceanic 6, Sawyer, and Jin.

1. Since apparently the Oceanic 6 are celebrities, I find it hard to believe that no one would show up for the funeral.
2. Jack says that Sawyer chose to stay on the island.
3. Jin is supposed to already be dead.

I think Michael or Ben would be too obvious, but I'd say Ben before Michael.

I going to go way out there and say that it's Ricard Alpert. Jack really doesn't know him, so Alpert would be neither friend nor family. Jack may feel Alpert is his only hope of ever finding the island. Kate really wouldn't know or care about Alpert, hence her reaction of "why would I go the funeral". We assume Alpert has lived most, if not all, of his life on the island, therefore no one would know him or come to his funeral.

Of course the big hole in this theory is that they had no idea if they'd ever be able to get Nestor Carbanell back after he joined the cast of Cane, so I'm probably wrong.

What's everyone else's guess?

Justin
Site Admin

Re: The Coffin

Post by Justin »

I'm still going with Michael. I'm not that confident, but, I want to guess something.

tanner

Post by tanner »

My new theory is that it's Claire, and Kate didn't want to go because she came into possession of Aaron in some strange way that she's disappointed or ashamed of. I don't know how to explain no one else going, though, especially Hurley...

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

I don't think Claire made (will make) it off the island.

And if it was Claire in the coffin, Kate should ignore whatever would make her not want to go to Claire's funeral and go for the simple reason of taking Aaron.

And why would Claire's mom (and her aunt) not come to her own daughter's funeral?

vickih

Post by vickih »

last night i couldn't get to sleep because i was thinking about who is in the coffin.
Are we to believe the newspaper obit? If so who has a son and who is from New York City.
This is driving me crazy!
Spoiler below: Spoiler
I looked on Dark UFO spoiler section and Michael was not on the poll of who is in the coffin. So either Dark Ufo is screwing with the readers or Michael is not in the coffin. If this list is not for real then i go with Michael but if I have to guess according to this list then it is either Ben or Locke in the coffin. Though i may change my mind after i watch the season 3 finale again. Why is Jacob on the list?
This is as close to a spoiler as i want to get. I want to guess but i don't want to know for sure who is in the coffin.From the dark ufo spoiler page here is the list. Poll -- "One of these is in the Coffin:"
Ben:
(25%)
Sayid:
(8%)
Desmond:
(22%)
Jacob:
(6%)
Sawyer:
(10%)
Locke:
(18%)
Alpert:
(10%)

Total Votes: 13,451

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

I haven't looked at the spoiler. But I'm 99% sure it's Ben.

He knows where the island is.
He's neither Jack's friend or family.
He has no one who would come to his funeral off of the island.
The obituary had a name we never heard of, this could be because of Ben's many aliases (eg. Dean Moriaty).
Kate would not want to go to his funeral.
Jack would since he wants to go back to the island and Ben is the key to that.

Maybe Ben tried to kill Penny so Desmond killed him in self-defense... Oooohhhhh....

Trust me on this one... I have a feeling... we'll see in 2 weeks...

vickih

Post by vickih »

You-Know-Who wrote:I haven't looked at the spoiler. But I'm 99% sure it's Ben.

He knows where the island is.
He's neither Jack's friend or family.
He has no one who would come to his funeral off of the island.
The obituary had a name we never heard of, this could be because of Ben's many aliases (eg. Dean Moriaty).
Kate would not want to go to his funeral.
Jack would since he wants to go back to the island and Ben is the key to that.

Maybe Ben tried to kill Penny so Desmond killed him in self-defense... Oooohhhhh....

Trust me on this one... I have a feeling... we'll see in 2 weeks...
I think it could be Ben. Maybe Michael died on the freighter or island. then Ben takes Michaels life(not kill him but use his background life as his own). Maybe Ben changes his name and says he has a teenage boy and is from New York. That is his alias.

Perry

Post by Perry »

I'm not sure yet who I think is in the coffin but I think it probably won't be Ben.
His whole battle with Widmore and the island seems too interesting to have him killed. I mean just think of it, how can they do 2 more seasons without Ben, especially if you think he was killed for killing Penny. You would just have Jack trying to get back and save the stragglers and Widmore also wanting the island. That wouldn't be very interesting.
It can't be Ben.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

I guess... But, remember that there's Alpert and Abbadon and Ms. Hawking and Locke and all kinds of other people who could continue the battle against Widmore.

vickih

Post by vickih »

I wonder how we are going to find out who is in the coffin. They already had a scene where Jack visited the funeral home and did not want the coffin top opened.
Any non spoiler thoughts?
Maybe they could have another character come in and set up the funeral.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Maybe we'll see the scene where the character in the coffin dies, and we'll put two and two together. And remeber we only saw Jack and Kate react to the news of the person in the coffin, there's three other people who's reactions we could see, like maybe when we see Hurley's or Sun's reactions we'll get more information (like a name).

Just a quick theory: What if Sayid's in the coffin? I know, I know, he's oceanic 6, all of the media/news people would be at his funeral. But what if Sayid was under an alias since he's working for Ben on top secret assassin missions, i'm pretty sure he would destroy anything that would give anyone a clue to his personal background, he throws phones in the trash after one use for godssake!

What if Sayid killed Penny on Ben's orders, and Desmond filled with revenge killed Sayid. Most of the Oceanic 6 therefore disown Sayid because of what he did to Penny and Desmond, but Jack knows something about Sayid's situation and motivation that the rest of the O6 don't.
So, when Jack says the person in the coffin is neither friend nor family he really feels that way. To Jack, Sayid is no longer a friend because of what he did to Des/Pen.
So, why is Jack the only one at the funeral? Because Sayid was the only one who knew where Ben was... and Ben was Jack's only hope of getting back to the island.

It would definitely be a surprise twist if Sayid was in the coffin. But I'm still betting on Ben... 1 week to go...

Return to “About Lost”