Time Flashes and Time travel

Discuss the show...
vickih

Time Flashes and Time travel

Post by vickih »

I am very confused.
Can the Oceanic 6 die during Dharma time (1970's)?

Because they are alive on the island in 2004 would killing them create a paradox or some other problem?

Stephen
Site Admin

Re: Time Flashes and Time travel

Post by Stephen »

If it happened, then it always happened.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

vickih wrote:I am very confused.
Can the Oceanic 6 die during Dharma time (1970's)?

Because they are alive on the island in 2004 would killing them create a paradox or some other problem?
Yes they can die in the 70's. For example in case of Jack there are 2 Jack's in the 70's one on the island and the other is a kid in LA. If Dharma Jack dies in 70's, the younger jack would grow up, get on that plane and crash on the island as normal.

David3

Post by David3 »

They themselves can die because even though they exist in 2004, that the past for them. What they can't do is kill a younger version of someone we know exists in 2004. In other words, they can't go track down kid Ben and kill him. Sawyer couldn't have pulled out a gun and killed Alpert. They couldn't track down Widmore and kill him. They could try, but something would happen causing them to fail.

vickih

Post by vickih »

who would have to kill them for one of them to die. sorry still a bit confused.

Could young Ben kill Sawyer (in the 70's)? [because Sawyer exists in 2004]

David3

Post by David3 »

vickih wrote:who would have to kill them for one of them to die. sorry still a bit confused.

Yes, Ben could kill Sawyer, but Sawyer can't kill Ben. The 1977 Ben is younger than the 2004 Ben. Therefore we know that he can't be killed because he will live to be alive in 2004. The 1977 Sawyer is OLDER than the 2004 Sawyer. Sawyer can now be killed at any time because this is the oldest version of him that exists. Another thing they can't do is leave the island and kill the kid version of Sawyer that is alive in 1977. We know that he grows up, so we know he can't die as a kid.

vickih

Post by vickih »

David3 wrote:
vickih wrote:who would have to kill them for one of them to die. sorry still a bit confused.

Yes, Ben could kill Sawyer, but Sawyer can't kill Ben. The 1977 Ben is younger than the 2004 Ben. Therefore we know that he can't be killed because he will live to be alive in 2004. The 1977 Sawyer is OLDER than the 2004 Sawyer. Sawyer can now be killed at any time because this is the oldest version of him that exists. Another thing they can't do is leave the island and kill the kid version of Sawyer that is alive in 1977. We know that he grows up, so we know he can't die as a kid.

Thanks. Okay i think i got it. But it makes my brain hurt. LOL

vickih

Post by vickih »

is the time linear? meaning that in 2004 they lived that before living in 1977. so in 2004 they had not already lived in 1977. did i explain that correctly?

Return to “About Lost”