Who's the Leader Following?

riothero

Who's the Leader Following?

Post by riothero »

We all know that Locke can't do shit without someone telling him what to do. The tragedy is that he recognizes this very fault, and so comes to resent this person ("Don't tell me what I can't do"). Maybe his plan to kill Jacob can be interpreted as Locke's attempt to gain mastery over himself and his destiny.

If this is true, it comes as an incredible surprise. I'm almost suspicious about where Locke got the idea that he should kill Jacob. If Locke is simply following the orders of somebody else, then how can Locke ever become a leader? A clue is provided in this episode, where Locke encounters an earlier version himself. Locke can follow orders and at the same time attain self-mastery because the person who's giving him orders... is himself? Sounds like another Locke is Jacob type theory... Sorry.

TheRadioTower

Re: Who's the Leader Following?

Post by TheRadioTower »

Locke can't be Jacob. It does not make sense even with time travel. Why would he kill himself? There is another flaw in your theory, if Locke is receiving orders from a different version of himself then where are those different versions getting orders from? In other words assuming your theory is correct, 2004 Locke got his orders from 2007 Locke who inturn got his orders from Jacob who is another version of Locke bu that implies the Jacob-Locke is also getting orders from another version of Locke. If Locke is only capable of following orders then where are these orders originating from?

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Darlton have stated that they are big fans of The Prisoner, which happens to be one of my favorite shows.

It's about a secret agent who resigned, who we come to know as Number Six. He is taken to a "village," which is a very pretty outdoor prison where everyone is brainwashed into being happy. They are kept there to keep the secrets they know out of the hands of the enemy. Everybody's names are taken away; they are all known by numbers. Number Two is the head honcho. Number Six wants to know who "Number One" is. Spoiler
Number Six IS Number One.

This scene can be seen at 37 minutes on episode 17, Fall out, on the below AMC link.
The intro explains a lot of it better than I can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AL7npkSXZE

You can watch the entire series here: http://www.amctv.com/videos/the-prisoner-1960s-video/

riothero

Post by riothero »

RadioTower, I'm not advancing this theory with as much confidence as I've advanced theories in the past. I'm looking at it like one of those theories about something that could sorta end up being kinda true though I wish it won't turn out to be the case.... Obviously your concerns are legitimate. In fact, I share them. But that doesn't mean the writers can't come up with some bullshit story in which these concerns are resolved.

I mean, take a look at today's episode. An older Locke instructs Richard on how to help a younger Locke with the bullet in his leg. But assuming that, a younger Locke existed before an older Locke, who gave instructions to Richard in the original iteration? What I'm trying to say is that the paradox I am referring to in my theory is no more complicated than the paradox on display in this episode.

I really don't think Locke could have found his "purpose" so easily without the help of "someone else". If this "someone else" is not Jacob, then the only other person I can think of ... is himself.

riothero

Post by riothero »

Stephen, I am seriously disturbed. There is something eerie about British television programs in general; this one may be the worst.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

riothero wrote: I mean, take a look at today's episode. An older Locke instructs Richard on how to help a younger Locke with the bullet in his leg. But assuming that, a younger Locke existed before an older Locke, who gave instructions to Richard in the original iteration? What I'm trying to say is that the paradox I am referring to in my theory is no more complicated than the paradox on display in this episode.
That is not a paradox. Younger Locke does not exist "before" the older Locke. Younger Locke has just time traveled into 2007 where older Locke also exists. For those 3 minutes there were 2 Locke's existing simultaneously and the 2007 Locke always instructed Richard to help out 2004 Locke. This was never an original iteration where he didn't.
I really don't think Locke could have found his "purpose" so easily without the help of "someone else". If this "someone else" is not Jacob, then the only other person I can think of ... is himself.
I think Locke is now "in" on the island's agenda and is an entity similar to Claire and Christian Shepherd, that's how he knows his mission.

riothero

Post by riothero »

OK. You seem to be better at thinking about this stuff then me, so I'll drop the argument.

So just we're clear: if you're correct that Locke is "in" on the island's agenda, then "the island" and "Jacob" are not equivalent. We've been wondering how connected those two were. Maybe Locke wants to drive a wedge between them... Maybe he's got a stronger connection to the island than Jacob.

Return to “5x15: Follow the Leader”