Thoughts of Finale

The penultimate finale.
vickih

Thoughts of Finale

Post by vickih »

My mind is still scrambled. I will answer this later. I think Locke might be listeneing to the island and the island is the guy in the black shirt. what should we call him???

420brownie

Re: Thoughts of Finale

Post by 420brownie »

I need to get all my thoughts together, but I thought it was an awesome finale, though I hate Damon and Carlton for leaving us hanging so badly. But to finally get some big picture info on what is going on was great. And I never saw the Locke twist coming. How Jacob, his enemy, and the Losties all tie together is quite a tangled web. Claude and Justin should not have any problems hitting their 20 hour goal.

Silentbob

Post by Silentbob »

i agree. great finale. some parts felt a bit cheesy, but all the jacob stuff was great. i watched it with two die hard lost fans, and a friend who has never seen an episode before, and they all enjoyed it too. i just spent the last 20 minutes writing out a complex theory about mr loophole, and now im kinda burnt out.

i don't think the plane will land next season, but I think things will change, because otherwise, sayid, juliet, and possibly half of the cast is dead, and i think they deserve a better ending. however, i do think that jacob will still be dead, as much as i would like him to stay.

the only other thing i want to say is that we all should feel really dumb right now for not realizing that DEAD really is DEAD. I know i do.

David3

Post by David3 »

I thought the finale was a great episode.

The only complaints I have are...

1. Jack wants to detonate the bomb to get Kate back? Really? Let me know how that works out.

2. Rose and Bernard. Maybe more Bernard's hair than anything. The whole scene was weird. I think that may have been their farewell. The next time we see them, may be a two skeletons with decaying clothing.

I thought everything else was really good and sets up for what will hopefully be a great final season.

Perry

Post by Perry »

I thought it was neat the way they used the same shot for the Locke reveal that they did at the end of Season 4, and that the Fork in the Socket was almost identical to the Frozen Donkey Wheel scene, but no1 picked that as the reveal.

Thought Sawyers uncle or whoever that was was a bit of a dickhead to him. Telling him that what's done is done and they're gone. Cmon, let him down easy.

Anyone else notice that the sub should have got alot further from the island than it did? I'm sure the captain didnt turn around for them.

I think Mikhail was standing near Ilana, when he lost his eye, as she seemed to have a problem when Jacob visited her. j/k

Why do the InB crew have molotov cocktails? Thought that was weird.

Liked that Sun found Charlie's ring.

Thought Jin had a really bad memory if he couldn't remember that 1 line he had as his vows.

Thought when they cut to Jack doing surgery that they were going to say it was Jacob that healed Sarah, which would've sucked, luckily I was wrong.

Found it annoying that Juliet kept changing her mind on Sawyer. Think it might've only happened twice, but I think once in the sub was enough.

Would a jail really keep a fruit rollup?

Jacob said it wasn't his guitar, which suggests that it was a guitar, which goes against Jorge Garcia's statement on Jay and Jack's podcast that he was told it wasn't a guitar. (I could be remembering that wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said)

Liked that they addressed Chang's hand getting squashed.

Thought for a while that Sayid had not wanted Jack to reset time (couldn't see a reason for this) so he just told him he rigged it to detonate on impact when he hadn't.

And found it strange that the crane etc. was just sitting down the bottom of the drilled hole without getting squashed or at least pulled in some direction. Especially considering a magnet's pull is exponentially stronger the closer you are to it.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

David3 wrote: 1. Jack wants to detonate the bomb to get Kate back? Really? Let me know how that works out.
I think he was using that personal example to illustrate a greater point about how they'd be better off if the plane never crashed, he would not have to go through the pain of losing her, in this case showing how detonating the bomb helps him personally which was Sawyer's question. (although I think performing euthanasia, being addicted to drugs would have been better examples). If he was blowing up a hydrogen bomb just for Kate then yeah that's pretty emo.
I think that may have been their farewell. The next time we see them, may be a two skeletons with decaying clothing.
But if the Losties are thrown back into 2007 as a result of the bomb shouldn't R&B be thrown into the future as well? And remember in that outrigger scene we see Vincent's leash at the beach which implies that they came back to the present at some point.

I liked the finale a lot. The action was really well done and the fight and implosion of the swan was awesome. While Jacob did not look anything like I had imagined, he was well cast, the actor did a good job of selling himself as the character and making the audience empathize with him.

The only think I did not like was that I felt there were too many scenes... like we would start to get to a really interesting point in one story and then it would cut to another story. It's not like they don't this often but this was the first time I noticed it and kinda felt frustrated.

Perry

Post by Perry »

TheRadioTower wrote:And remember in that outrigger scene we see Vincent's leash at the beach which implies that they came back to the present at some point.
Although I do think Vincent is going to travel to the present, I don't think that leash can be any sort of indicator since he hasn't worn that in a very very long time.

CorpsesAndChaos

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

at first i thought the beginning scene was going to show us that the overall arc was an archetype of Mythic Time vs. Jacob as Linear Time (history/destiny/Progress)... but the black shirt guy put a kabosh on that by bringing up the same old, boring, inaccurate and stupid thing that every story brings up. "humans are flawed" (cue up your misanthropic Agent Smith "humans are cancer" line, etc, etc). which brings us to Jacob having his "faith" in humanity to change the "cycle" (a fake cycle of human history - just about any anthropologist will tell you) where it only needs to "end once" (a nod towards eschatology) on this linear string of destiny. he weaves his tapestry with this "string" he makes himself - by hand (which he likes to use to subtly influence his pawns).

this reeks of ideas from The Stand with all the binary distinctions of light/dark and good/evil. not too radical. but again, theyd tell you its a "timeless" tale (its only "timeless" when youre eliminate 200,000 years of human prehistory where the consciousness wasnt historically based like all the demythologizers the writers borrow from: the old testament, the greeks, etc). Locke proceeds to tell us in the pilot that the oldest game is light vs. dark because archaeologists found backgammon sets in 5000 year old sites - "thats older than Jesus Christ." its telling that the writers spend so much time on physics and fake time travel studying but take a complete dump when it comes to encompassing humanity's entire past, origins and the mythic mind in favor of thinking the world began 5,000 years ago "when History began" and everyone else was too stupid to realize it before that. thats kindergarten level philosophy.

i dont know, im just not that impressed with where theyre going so far with the overall arc if any of this crap is telling.
its tired and boring story wrapped in a new, confusing package.

The Stand - two sides - two avatars - one good - one evil - who stands in the middle? man. oooo.
is Lost just a re-telling of the same thing? or can they take us somewhere else?

"Backgammon is the oldest game in the world. Archaeologists found sets when they excavated the ruins of ancient Mesopotamia. Five thousand years old. That's older than Jesus Christ... Two players. Two sides. One is light. One is dark."

Return to “5x16: The Incident”