15 - Ford
16 - Jarrah
23 - Shephard
42 - Kwan

Discuss :)

David3

Re: The Numbers!!

Post by David3 »

If Kate is not a candidate, why did Jacob visit, and touch, her?

Goodspeed is on the list. Horace, Amy, or Ethan?

Here are some of the others I could make out.

222 - O'Toole
20 - Rouf
10 - Mattingley
291 - Domingo

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

I thought it was quite wonderful we saw the Numbers in such a context. I'm only confused that everyone who has one of "the Numbers" is "alive" in this timeline except for Locke. Now the list is incomplete.

David3

Post by David3 »

Other familiar names found:

Jones, Cunningham, and Mattingley - Names found on military uniforms worn by others in the 50s.
Burke - Juliet
Littleton - Claire/Aaron
Lewis - Charlotte
Faraday - Daniel
Starume - Miles
Pace - Charlie
Linus - Ben or Roger
Chang - Pierre
Lacombe - French Team
Rutherford - Shannon
Martin - Karl

riothero

Post by riothero »

So what are the questions we should be asking? Some suggestions:

1) Are we to assume that Jacob randomly assigned these numbers to these Losties, so that, in fact, this explains the numbers' 'origin'?

2) What explains the correspondence between the numbers of the Losties and the numbers for the Swan hatch? (Jacob, who wrote the names/numbers on the cave ceiling, was never a member of DHARMA. So how did Dharma (Radzinsky?) choose those numbers as the ones to enter into the computer?)

3) How does one get "eliminated" as a candidate? (Locke's name was crossed out after he died, and the five remaining names refer to "candidates" who are still ALIVE. But Miles and maybe Claire/Aaron are still alive and (according to David3), their names also appeared on the cave -- but I assumed they were crossed out? Also, I think I caught Dogen's name.. crossed out. But he's still alive too!)

4) How do the remaining candidates 'choose' to accept the title of protector of the island? (Why the fuck didn't Jacob ever ask them?) Would they have to 'fight it out', and the last one standing gets the job?

Here's another list:
How were these numbers assigned to begin with? It doesn't seem like Jacob was just adding new candidates as next consecutive numbers so what exactly is his "thing" with numbers? Also once they're assigned why even bother with the other names when those six are the ones corresponding to THE numbers. I mean if Hurley could know they're important somehow surely Jacob must have known as well. Although perhaps 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 are THE numbers because they're the only ones left (so now THE numbers are 8, 15, 16, 23, 42). This of course raises the question of how long ago did Jacob whittle down his list to these six?

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

Vince wrote:
Well, now that they've "gone there" again, they better go all the way back and explain why, if indeed the numbers originate in this fashion (Jacob's order of the MANY people who could possibly be candidates) why the hell were they used by Hurley/on Swan hatch/in the computer etc etc...

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

muttonboy wrote:
Vince wrote:
Well, now that they've "gone there" again, they better go all the way back and explain why, if indeed the numbers originate in this fashion (Jacob's order of the MANY people who could possibly be candidates) why the hell were they used by Hurley/on Swan hatch/in the computer etc etc...
I don't think they are going to explain that. I've read several interviews where they have stated that they're not gonna go back and explain every instance of the numbers

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Hmmm, you guys think maybe the recording at the radio tower (before Danielle changed it) may have been Jacob? Broadcasting the numbers out into the world, beckoning the Losties to come?

Dharma using the numbers on the swan hatch (literally) and as the code for the button is baffling.

It's interesting if Kate is totally not on the list at all. She was only on the plane because she got caught. Though Jacob did visit her, so I do think he wanted her to come.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

We need to keep in mind that Damon and Carlton have confirmed that The Valenzetti Equation is cannon. That explains why the numbers were being broadcast from the radio tower and you can extrapolate from that so as to why that was the code for the computer. I would be very surprised if DHARMA's use of numbers has anything to do with Jacob or the stuff on the wall unless ofcourse the Valenzetti Equation itself has something to do with Jacob

JanicM

Post by JanicM »

I like the explanation but if they're actually gonna try to tie it in with the Valenzetti Equation and all the other stuff, it smells like a retcon to me.
"Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it."

Return to “6x04: The Substitute”