The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Every forum needs a misc section...
vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Fri May 23, 2008 3:47 am

not me either.

does anyone think that listening to their podcast is worth paying for?

You-Know-Who
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:12 am
Location: Not in Portland (it's opposite day)
Contact:

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by You-Know-Who » Fri May 23, 2008 6:57 am

I don't. But I would say that about lots of podcasts I listen too.

TheRadioTower
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:57 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by TheRadioTower » Mon May 26, 2008 6:19 am

Stephen wrote:
You-Know-Who wrote: He's not begging. Begging Is when someone asks for a gift without any goods in return, basically asking you to to help them out of your own good will. Cliff is making content and if people enjoy it and want to show their gratitude the one thing they can do is give a donation out of their own free will.

Radiohead did something similar with the release of their in rainbows album, where you could pay what you wanted or nothing at all. NPR asks for donations. Wikipedia asks for donations. The goverment doesn't, you have to pay taxes whether or not you like what the goverment is doing/does.
It's not like cliff is the only podcaster accepting donations, another one I can think of is Leo laporte who does all the twit (this week in tech) podcasts. Sure, maybe cliff doesn't excactly go about in a nice way, but I repeat, if he wants to do things the way he's doing them let it be. People who do podcasting full time (and there are area out there) need to make a living, some put up ads, some accept donations, some, like the ricky gervais podcast, ask you to buy.
I personally prefer a free will volountary model. For example I like to keep all the Lost episodes on my hard drive so I can watch them again and again (the DVDs come out too late for me), now, I could torrent all those Lost episodes but since I really respect the show I buy them on iTunes, I know probably very little of my 1.99 actually goes to the writers and creators but I like to support the show in any way I can.
And all along I thought it was "Ricky Jarvis". I'm all for donations. I much prefer the donation method to the use of advertising. I just think he should have gotten his financial ducks in a row before quitting his job. If he has a bunch of money saved, maybe his house and cars paid off and the ability of getting his job back easily, i'm perfectly fine with what he is doing. If he jumped off a plane with his entire family by his side just hoping after the fact he'll find a parachute along the way, that is what I have a problem with.

What Cliff needs to do is team up with some other (established) podcasts and bring them under his wing. I'm turned off to his podcasts by he and his wife. If, for example and it will thankfully never happen, C & J became part of the GSPN family, then I would surely become a plus member of GSPN.tv.
I don't get this logic; Why should you or anyone else care how much he has financially planned? It's not like he quit his job to collect welfare from taxpayer money. He is putting out content and asking anyone who thinks it's worth paying for to pay for it. If enough people think his content is worth paying for then his job is done, seems like an honest living if you ask me.

You-Know-Who
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:12 am
Location: Not in Portland (it's opposite day)
Contact:

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by You-Know-Who » Mon May 26, 2008 6:45 am

TheRadioTower wrote:
Stephen wrote:
You-Know-Who wrote: He's not begging. Begging Is when someone asks for a gift without any goods in return, basically asking you to to help them out of your own good will. Cliff is making content and if people enjoy it and want to show their gratitude the one thing they can do is give a donation out of their own free will.

Radiohead did something similar with the release of their in rainbows album, where you could pay what you wanted or nothing at all. NPR asks for donations. Wikipedia asks for donations. The goverment doesn't, you have to pay taxes whether or not you like what the goverment is doing/does.
It's not like cliff is the only podcaster accepting donations, another one I can think of is Leo laporte who does all the twit (this week in tech) podcasts. Sure, maybe cliff doesn't excactly go about in a nice way, but I repeat, if he wants to do things the way he's doing them let it be. People who do podcasting full time (and there are area out there) need to make a living, some put up ads, some accept donations, some, like the ricky gervais podcast, ask you to buy.
I personally prefer a free will volountary model. For example I like to keep all the Lost episodes on my hard drive so I can watch them again and again (the DVDs come out too late for me), now, I could torrent all those Lost episodes but since I really respect the show I buy them on iTunes, I know probably very little of my 1.99 actually goes to the writers and creators but I like to support the show in any way I can.
And all along I thought it was "Ricky Jarvis". I'm all for donations. I much prefer the donation method to the use of advertising. I just think he should have gotten his financial ducks in a row before quitting his job. If he has a bunch of money saved, maybe his house and cars paid off and the ability of getting his job back easily, i'm perfectly fine with what he is doing. If he jumped off a plane with his entire family by his side just hoping after the fact he'll find a parachute along the way, that is what I have a problem with.

What Cliff needs to do is team up with some other (established) podcasts and bring them under his wing. I'm turned off to his podcasts by he and his wife. If, for example and it will thankfully never happen, C & J became part of the GSPN family, then I would surely become a plus member of GSPN.tv.
I don't get this logic; Why should you or anyone else care how much he has financially planned? It's not like he quit his job to collect welfare from taxpayer money. He is putting out content and asking anyone who thinks it's worth paying for to pay for it. If enough people think his content is worth paying for then his job is done, seems like an honest living if you ask me.
Bravo. I totally agree, radiotower.

Stephen
Site Admin
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Stephen » Mon May 26, 2008 7:08 am

TheRadioTower wrote: I don't get this logic; Why should you or anyone else care how much he has financially planned? It's not like he quit his job to collect welfare from taxpayer money. He is putting out content and asking anyone who thinks it's worth paying for to pay for it. If enough people think his content is worth paying for then his job is done, seems like an honest living if you ask me.
I would tell this to anybody. I am not looking at the situation as a taxpayer, but as a fellow citizen. I don't want people quitting their jobs with no money in the bank hoping to make it in an up-and-coming, unproven industry. Especially with a bunch of kids and a wife. It's a perfectly honest living, but what if there aren't people willing to pay for the content he is creating?

I just want people to be prepared for what lies ahead. I like the analogy I used before: You don't jump out of an airplane without a parachute. I would hope me and everyone else would care if someone was planning on jumping from a plane without a parachute.

You-Know-Who
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:12 am
Location: Not in Portland (it's opposite day)
Contact:

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by You-Know-Who » Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 am

Stephen wrote:
TheRadioTower wrote: I don't get this logic; Why should you or anyone else care how much he has financially planned? It's not like he quit his job to collect welfare from taxpayer money. He is putting out content and asking anyone who thinks it's worth paying for to pay for it. If enough people think his content is worth paying for then his job is done, seems like an honest living if you ask me.
I would tell this to anybody. I am not looking at the situation as a taxpayer, but as a fellow citizen. I don't want people quitting their jobs with no money in the bank hoping to make it in an up-and-coming, unproven industry. Especially with a bunch of kids and a wife. It's a perfectly honest living, but what if there aren't people willing to pay for the content he is creating?

I just want people to be prepared for what lies ahead. I like the analogy I used before: You don't jump out of an airplane without a parachute. I would hope me and everyone else would care if someone was planning on jumping from a plane without a parachute.
Innovation and progress don't happen without risk. Podcasting is a new frontier and no one knows what the hell they're doing, but they're feeling it out as they go, and that makes it fun and exciting. It's thrilling to be the ones to shape a new medium and set it on it's course, just like the early days of radio and tv, we're living in the early days of podcasting right now. To use your parachute analogy: Sure, some people will crash and burn, but some people will find that there is a brand new, amazingly advanced, parachute hidden within their jacket that they never realized before, and it's way better than the one they could have jumped with. And even the people who crash and burn, at least they got to have the time of their lives free-falling.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
"Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently.
They’re not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.
You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.
Because they change things.
They push the human race forward.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones,
We see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world,
Are the ones who do."

Stephen
Site Admin
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Stephen » Mon May 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Again, I'm not saying he shouldm't quit his job and start podcasting full time. I would just want him to have some money in the bank for at least the short term and shouldn't expect to make 10k a month right away.

Image

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Mon May 26, 2008 11:54 pm

Stephen wrote:Again, I'm not saying he shouldm't quit his job and start podcasting full time. I would just want him to have some money in the bank for at least the short term and shouldn't expect to make 10k a month right away.

Image

they must have some money put away. although i am not positive.
i know he makes money putting together podcasts for customers who want their own podcast. he charges $3500 for doing this.

Jen
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Jen » Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 am

i spent a very long time trying to rick roll you all, but it didn't work and then somebody told me it was totally played out anyway.

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Tue May 27, 2008 3:44 am

Jen wrote:i spent a very long time trying to rick roll you all, but it didn't work and then somebody told me it was totally played out anyway.

what do you mean?


vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Wed May 28, 2008 3:54 am

thanks for the site.

Jen
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Jen » Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 pm

yeah, it is really absurd and completely played out, but I just found out about it a few days ago when that song came up and I told Justin that I would endeavor to rickroll someone on tlld.

TheRadioTower
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:57 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by TheRadioTower » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:01 pm

I hate to beat up on this guy but I was on their website the other day and saw this podcast where Cliff Ravenscraft was talking to his friend about the election http://media.libsyn.com/media/gspn3/MyC ... Friend.mp3. Ravenscraft voted for McCain, with that being said he came across as fairly reasonable for most of the podcast till he explained why he is such a big fan of Palin, it starts on 1:44:08 mark if anyone wants to hear it for themselves; it was the exact caricature of a dumb republican that Bill Maher presents on his show, amongst other things he says that the fact that Palin was "bumbling and could not answer questions made him like her more"

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:59 am

TheRadioTower wrote:I hate to beat up on this guy but I was on their website the other day and saw this podcast where Cliff Ravenscraft was talking to his friend about the election http://media.libsyn.com/media/gspn3/MyC ... Friend.mp3. Ravenscraft voted for McCain, with that being said he came across as fairly reasonable for most of the podcast till he explained why he is such a big fan of Palin, it starts on 1:44:08 mark if anyone wants to hear it for themselves; it was the exact caricature of a dumb republican that Bill Maher presents on his show, amongst other things he says that the fact that Palin was "bumbling and could not answer questions made him like her more"

I haven't listened to his podcast re: Palin but i guessed he would like her and vote for McCain.
I will have to listen. Love Bill Maher!! Thanks!

TheRadioTower
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:57 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by TheRadioTower » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:14 pm

An update on this topic. They are now apparently up to 230 members http://gspn.tv/plus/ That is 230 @ $10/month = $2300/month = $27,300/year

David3
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by David3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm shocked they're making that much.

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:25 am

TheRadioTower wrote:An update on this topic. They are now apparently up to 230 members http://gspn.tv/plus/ That is 230 @ $10/month = $2300/month = $27,300/year

update to 257 members. $30,840/year

David3
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by David3 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:29 pm

vickih wrote:
TheRadioTower wrote:An update on this topic. They are now apparently up to 230 members http://gspn.tv/plus/ That is 230 @ $10/month = $2300/month = $27,300/year

update to 257 members. $30,840/year

Once Lost ends next year they'll drop to 23 members ($2760/year for those calculating at home).

Stephen
Site Admin
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Stephen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Recently I found myself on their website. My computer started talking to me! Alas, I realized an embedded Flash video player was feeding me a live stream of Cliff and Stephanie recording a podcast. Their discussion was about whether a person can have a best friend of the opposite sex once one is married. Cliff, Stephanie and the listeners in the chat room seemed to agree: it is wrong and unfaithful.

In jest I suggested in the chat whether a personal relationship with "our lord and savior Jesus Christ" was out of the question. This was not addressed during the live broadcast.

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 am

Stephen wrote:Recently I found myself on their website. My computer started talking to me! Alas, I realized an embedded Flash video player was feeding me a live stream of Cliff and Stephanie recording a podcast. Their discussion was about whether a person can have a best friend of the opposite sex once one is married. Cliff, Stephanie and the listeners in the chat room seemed to agree: it is wrong and unfaithful.
They really thought that being friends was unfaithful. I think if you have sex or are intimitate with your friend then that would be unfaithful. just being friends really depends on the person and it is not as cut and dry as they seem to think.

Jen
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Jen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:04 pm

vickih wrote:I think if you have sex or are intimitate with your friend then that would be unfaithful.
hhaha! this reminds me that when i was a freshman in college i had a roommate who would wait until i and our other roommate feel asleep and have sex with her townie bf (Jae). then she started bringing around other guys with whom the same scenario played out and one day she said to me "So, if Jae ever asks about [the other guy] please tell him he doesnt ever stay the night. Jae is really jealous and he just doesnt understand that to me, with my guy friends, it's like they might as well be gay. i just dont see them like that." but, of course, the head of her bed was about 3 feet away from the foot of mine.

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Thu May 21, 2009 3:29 am

i was just wondering someone elses opinion regarding GSPN's Lost podcast for the final season. it was approx. 1 hour.

what i was wondering is ...does anyone think a one hour podcast for a 2 hour finale is a rip off to those who subscribe to their show? I don't subscribe but if i did i would feel ripped off. i listened to it because they released it on the free feed. it didn't seem like they but much (if any) research into it at all.
i think they have the right to do whatever they want with there podcasts. charge money or not but it seems like a rip off to the people who pay. i would think these people are paying for good content.

any thoughts on this?

Stephen
Site Admin
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Stephen » Thu May 21, 2009 4:51 am

Looks like Cliff is dieting again!

http://pursuingabalancedlife.com/pabl/

If you wear Apple's white headphones, you lose weight!

Image


Good for him though.

David3
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by David3 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:14 am

Stephen wrote:If you wear Apple's white headphones, you lose weight!
...and you can walk through sonic fences.

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Fri May 29, 2009 1:56 am

Stephen wrote:Looks like Cliff is dieting again!

http://pursuingabalancedlife.com/pabl/

If you wear Apple's white headphones, you lose weight!

Image


Good for him though.

do we know when the before photo was taken?

paul in vegas
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:05 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by paul in vegas » Fri May 29, 2009 5:00 am

Stephen wrote:Looks like Cliff is dieting again!

http://pursuingabalancedlife.com/pabl/

If you wear Apple's white headphones, you lose weight!

Image


Good for him though.
i wonder if his wife is on a diet too.

vickih
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by vickih » Sun May 31, 2009 12:57 am

I don't know. Does anyone have any recents photos of her? or has watched them on Ustream?

Paul we have to wait almost a year until Lost... :( :(

michaelkirschner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:58 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by michaelkirschner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:04 pm

And another thing, that Cliff is an asshole, some of you may have heard about Cliff years ago calling Craig and Dylan of the MYOKOMW/SAS guys "A couple of potheads". He was also an ass hole to me, long story short, I had this idea for a podcast so I contacted him to ask if he wanted to be a part of it and he told me that my idea was very good and to go for it. A few months go by and and after Cliff is finishing up one of his lost podcasts he announces a new podcast that he is starting, but guess what its the idea that I told him about, so Im fuming angry and I sent him an email that proves that I came up with the idea first and contains messages from him telling me that its a good idea, Cliffs response is that he was under some kind of Non Disclosure agreement with a podcast company and could not discuss new ideas for podcasts he was starting. That is total bull shit he stole my idea and the worst part of it is that he never went through with the podcast that he stole from me.

TheRadioTower
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:57 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by TheRadioTower » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:13 am

michaelkirschner wrote:And another thing, that Cliff is an asshole, some of you may have heard about Cliff years ago calling Craig and Dylan of the MYOKOMW/SAS guys "A couple of potheads". He was also an ass hole to me, long story short, I had this idea for a podcast so I contacted him to ask if he wanted to be a part of it and he told me that my idea was very good and to go for it. A few months go by and and after Cliff is finishing up one of his lost podcasts he announces a new podcast that he is starting, but guess what its the idea that I told him about, so Im fuming angry and I sent him an email that proves that I came up with the idea first and contains messages from him telling me that its a good idea, Cliffs response is that he was under some kind of Non Disclosure agreement with a podcast company and could not discuss new ideas for podcasts he was starting. That is total bull shit he stole my idea and the worst part of it is that he never went through with the podcast that he stole from me.
Cry me a river

michaelkirschner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:58 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by michaelkirschner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Who's crying?

paul in vegas
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:05 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by paul in vegas » Wed May 19, 2010 5:47 am

looks like they are going to be in a documentary about LOST podcasters...

http://audiblylost.com/movie/trailer

Stephen
Site Admin
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Update, ten years later:

They seem to have stopped podcasting: http://gspn.tv/

Justin
Site Admin
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Justin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:03 pm

LOL. It's hard to keep it up for so long! I slightly regret being so negative about GSPN and Jay and Jack....
But "the spy family" still makes me giggle.

Justin
Site Admin
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Justin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:04 pm

paul in vegas wrote:
Wed May 19, 2010 5:47 am
looks like they are going to be in a documentary about LOST podcasters...

http://audiblylost.com/movie/trailer
This project is clearly never going to happen! Kind of glad we didn't waste our time, though at the time I was disappointed they didn't contact us. Very unfair!

Raxivace
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:54 am

Re: The spy family expects a six figure income from podcasting

Post by Raxivace » Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 pm

I remember looking forward to the idea of a Lost podcast documentary back in the day, sort of a shame that nothing ever came of it.

Post Reply

Return to “About Whatever”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest