Firefly

Every forum needs a misc section...
Stephen
Site Admin

Firefly

Post by Stephen »

Anybody here familiar with this fabulous but short-lived series?

I would highly recommend watching. You can view the pilot (and all the other episodes) legally online at the following address:
http://www.hulu.com/firefly

Pilot: http://www.hulu.com/watch/4569/firefly-serenity

The first five minutes are kinda strange, but it will all make sense later.

The show takes place around 2500. Planets all over are being terraformed to allow for habitation. The characters live on the (space) ship Serenity and is frequently in trouble with the Alliance, or the government that controls pretty much everything everywhere, but is often up to no good itself. There are many wild west type themes too. Sorry, no smoke monsters.

Unlike other sci-fi shows, they don't strive to make everything "futuristic". Six shooters, lawn chairs and t-shirts are not an uncommon sight.

Savard

Re: Firefly

Post by Savard »

is that related to the movie "Serenity"? I think one of the best Sci Fi movies ever... really like it a lot...

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Indeed. Firefly was cancelled and the fans, who refer to themselves as "Browncoats", stirred up enough fuss to get Universal interested in making a movie: Serenity.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

This hulu thing is pretty cool...

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Late December: I stay at my sister's house and she introduces me to Firefly. I watch the first two discs.

I really liked it but for the most part forgot about it until...

March 15th: I babysat my (little) sister at my mother's house. They have the DVDs too. I watched the remaining two discs and the Firefly movie, Serenity.

The following Tuesday I purchased the first (and only) season of Firefly from Amazon, on sale for $25. Soon after I buy the special edition of Serenity for $20. To top it off I bought a fan made documentary about how the fans of Firefly were a key force in getting Serenity made. $20. That one wasn't that great. Then the non special edition widescreen release of Serenity drops down to $14 from its original $20. I buy that too. A few weeks go by and I decide to invest $14 in "Firefly: The Official Companion: Volume One" and just this past week I got "Firefly: The Official Companion: Volume Two" for $17.

$25
$111

I feel like Lost could never come back and I wouldn't notice.

Jen

Post by Jen »

is it as good as bsg?
this may have to be my next show...though i was never a buffy fan.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Jen wrote:is it as good as bsg?
this may have to be my next show...though i was never a buffy fan.
'never seen bsg.

Retcon Killah

Post by Retcon Killah »

What a great show! For all of those who may not know, one of the reason why the show failed is that instead of playing the Pilot, they showed the 2nd episode instead which got the viewers really confused as most of the fundamental story elements where in the Pilot. It's like them showing Tabula Rasa as the first episode of Lost.

Return to “About Whatever”