Thomas the Apostle

Perry

Thomas the Apostle

Post by Perry »

I started this topic because I need someone to explain to me the point of this seemingly long-winded and practically pointless story.
Though I'm sure Claude and Justin will discuss it in depth...if there is any depth.

David3

Re: Thomas the Apostle

Post by David3 »

I think it's as simple as Locke plays the role of Jesus and Jack plays the role of Doubting Thomas.

Jesus went to Judea knowing that he'd die, but he went to save his followers.

Locke left the island knowing he'd die, but he left so that he could save his friends.

Thomas was famous for doubting the resurrection of Jesus. He refused to believe until he felt the holes in Jesus' hands. Despite often displaying courage, loyalty, and bravery throughout his time Jesus, he's most known for his inability to believe without seeing.

Jack has always lacked faith in both the island and Locke. Even until that night in the church he doubted that any of what they were doing was going to work.

Jack wasn't convinced by anything Ms. Hawking was saying. He didn't have faith in what she was saying or that this plan would work in getting back to the island. Even though Jack has often displayed courage, loyalty, and bravery towards his fellow survivors, he is marred by his lack of faith. Ben was telling him that eventually everyone is convinced. Even though he lacks faith now, once he gets back to the island and sees for himself, he will have faith. He's already starting to show some belief while on the plane.

The other obvious hint, is that Locke will probably be ressurected in some form upon returning to the island.

Perry

Post by Perry »

Oh right, for some reason I seemed to have missed that it was about Locke. Guess I should watch the episode again.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

this scene was strange. jack asked ben who mrs. hawking is, how she knows all this. then ben diverts his attention with a story about a disbeliever. It obviously works on jack, seeming to shame him into believe. but you know what else would have worked? ben answering jack's question, with the truth.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

Claude wrote: but you know what else would have worked? ben answering jack's question, with the truth.
This is Ben we are talking about.

Perry

Post by Perry »

OK I just watched the scene again and it makes sense, but is so out of place in the scene, like Claude said. Way to go Ben with his crazy rambling that gets people fooled.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

TheRadioTower wrote:
Claude wrote: but you know what else would have worked? ben answering jack's question, with the truth.
This is Ben we are talking about.
Of course. But I think there's something to be said for dropping the charade and being honest. Especially at this point in the story. If it's so important Jack come back, shouldn't Ben be willing to be whatever it takes? Even if that means, gasp, telling the truth? Or at least hinting at it.

Jen

Post by Jen »

yeah, i nearly vomited when i saw that painting in the background bc i KNEW KNEW KNEW that it meant we would have to endure a parallel tale about jesus/thomas/islandlockebenlargerpicturewhatever/jack. i have nothing against religious subtexts in media, but i really hate when it is done in a shlock, ham-handed way. the whole scene in the church, which we had been awaiting with baited breath, made me feel like i had been fooled. it was like i was watching Sliders or something, where the writers do whatever the fuck they want and everything is surface and dumb.

of course ben isnt going to tell him "oh, her? well, she used to be on the island, back in the 50s, and, thru circumstances i cannot possibly explain, having to do with dharma, widmore, and me killing my kind, she ended up off the island, trying to find it again. she is also the mother of the following people: dan, charlotte, that woman sayid banged, naomi, kate, me, jack, miles, and penny, who i am going to murder after we're done here"

Jen

Post by Jen »

not to beat a dead horse, but the only thing that didn't disappoint me about that scene was desmond, to whom i want to make desperate, passionate, ben -just -murdered -penny- and -im -immersed- in -a -grief -so -boundless- that- it -can- only- be- abated- by -doing -disgusting-but-beautiful-things- to- you- all- night- long love.

Savard

Post by Savard »

Jen wrote: she is also the mother of the following people: dan, charlotte, that woman sayid banged, naomi, kate, me, jack, miles, and penny, who i am going to murder after we're done here"
L O S T

;)

Perry

Post by Perry »

Jen wrote:not to beat a dead horse, but the only thing that didn't disappoint me about that scene was desmond, to whom i want to make desperate, passionate, ben -just -murdered -penny- and -im -immersed- in -a -grief -so -boundless- that- it -can- only- be- abated- by -doing -disgusting-but-beautiful-things- to- you- all- night- long love.
lol

Return to “5x06: 316”