Theory on how the two realities are related.

David3

Theory on how the two realities are related.

Post by David3 »

Here's my theory on how the two realities are related.

Jughead did go off, creating a new reality from the moment it went off. The explosion ultimately led to the sinking of the island, but not right away. I believe there was enough time for people like Ben, Widmore, Hawking and others to get off the island. The explosion has led to many changes in the lives of the survivors of Oceanic 815, as we saw on the plane. The problem is that this new reality will ultimately lead to a paradox.

At the moment that the 2007 versions of the Losties don’t go back to 1977 and detonate the bomb, the paradox happens. In other words, the new reality is only able to exist from 1977 through 2007. When they don’t go back in time, and don’t detonate the bomb, reality is snapped back to the original reality we know, and the Losties are sent back to the present time in 2007. From that point, the events play out as we saw on the island.

Throughout the final season we’ll see two stories play out together, but they are not happening at the same time. The alt reality plays out first, followed by the continuation of the original island reality. They may also learn things in the alt reality that help answer question in the regular reality.

Many of the survivors of Oceanic 815 were only kids, or in some cases not even born in the 1970s. The fact that an explosion on an island in the South Pacific in 1977 could have effects on their lives shows us that they have always had connections not only to each other, but also to the island. The island was always their destiny. I’d expect their lives to continue to intertwine in the new reality.

CorpsesAndChaos

Re: Theory on how the two realities are related.

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

thats probably really close to where theyre going with it.

whats even more hilarious is that the writers talk about how arrogant the Losties are for thinking they could set off the bomb with out massive implications - but to take it one step further - its even more arrogant to think the writers could possibly run with this writing device. the organism-environment develops through an almost infinite meshwork of interwoven lines of relations. to think they could possibly come up with a "global" set of implications is what it is - a child's (i mean Sci-fi writers) fantasy. in this sense, the characters we'd be watching shouldnt even be the "same" characters. hell, some of them could/should look extremely different that were born post-1977. does the same sperm make it to the egg for "Kate" and "Hurley"? does their becoming/development run the same course? if so, thats as arrogant as the characters initial assumption.

the writers basically use a form of determinism to deal with this saying that the characters are the same basic "archetypes". kate is still a troublemaker/runner, etc... barf. that basically comes off as some "innate trait" that cannot be subverted (Damon even brings up the concept of nature/nurture in the latest Official podcast - which was been laughed out of academia ages ago. maybe the comic scene needs to catch up on more recent theory).

yeah, its just TV. but for how "intelligent" its suppose to be, it really falls short of writing anything radically outside the box.

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

Yeesh!!! CorpsesAndChaos you need to chill man (and I say this with all the hippie-cool-smarm of our Kurtz-like interpreter): you need to sub-out "hilarious" and "arrogant" and "barf" and find some real meaningful backing for what you have succeeded only at hinting at as an argument. I'll respect your opinion when you can make it concisely, man. Look at what you're looking at. I suspect you're trying too hard to sing out, I could do anything better than you! Well, what we have in LOST is, I suspect, the best in the bag. And gosh, you actually wrote: “Damon even brings up the concept of nature/nurture in the latest Official podcast - which was been laughed out of academia ages ago” without barfing all over yourself? (Unless you did, which might explain why you can’t capitalize new sentences – all that barf being stuck on the SHIFT key and all.) I personally give to you a golden ticket to Academia – contemporary Academia, even – where you can wander and discuss nature versus nurture with the best academics in the land. It is, if you look deep in your self, a truly timeless “child's (i mean Sci-fi writers) fantasy” as you so elegantly pointed-and-cocked-your-gun at.

(Hmm, in reading my post I see I may have come across as a bit of an ass: I don't mean to be. I just really think the post was unfair.)

Perry

Post by Perry »

David3 wrote:Throughout the final season we’ll see two stories play out together, but they are not happening at the same time. The alt reality plays out first, followed by the continuation of the original island reality. They may also learn things in the alt reality that help answer question in the regular reality.
I think I agree with this that the LA storyline probably plays out then the island story. What's also an indicator of this is that the producers are naming them flashsideways and trying to avoid the term alternate reality. Still haven't had enough time to wrap my brain around what events played out in the LAX timeline and what implications they have.
Hopefully, and without a doubt, C&J will have some in depth discussion on this.

Perry

Post by Perry »

David3 wrote:At the moment that the 2007 versions of the Losties don’t go back to 1977 and detonate the bomb, the paradox happens. In other words, the new reality is only able to exist from 1977 through 2007. When they don’t go back in time, and don’t detonate the bomb, reality is snapped back to the original reality we know, and the Losties are sent back to the present time in 2007. From that point, the events play out as we saw on the island.
1 thought I have on this which could confuse things is what if the flashes not only shifted Losties through time but also to the alternate storyline. ie. What if the Losties from the current Island storyline were able to travel and affect the past of the LAX storyline? We've seen multiple versions of people in the 1 timeline before, so why not here? This basically removes the need for the LAX versions of the Losties to do the H-bomb thing themselves.
I'm not joining either side yet, just bringing up some possibilities.

Return to “6x01-02: LA X, Parts 1 and 2”