Legal Questions in Eggtown

Discuss the show...
Bruce

Legal Questions in Eggtown

Post by Bruce »

Why was Kate tried in California? Wasn't the capital crime - murder - commited in Iowa?

In a criminal case the plantif (DA) presents their case first. Why would Jack a defense witness be called before Diane Jensen (Kate's mom) who is testifying for the people (plantif)?

She was charged with
  • Fraud
    Arson
    Assault on a Federal Officer
    Assault with a deadly weapon
    Grand larceny
    Grand theft auto
    Murder in the first degree

I wonder why the DA folded so easily. Even if she could not get Kate's mother to testify, she had circumstantial effidence. A good DA would even had sought out her father who called the police on her. She confessed to him. There would also be a ton of witness concerning the other offenses plus the assault on a federal officer would be well documented. She could have even served time on being a fugitive.

Ah the beauty of fiction.

David3

Re: Legal Questions in Eggtown

Post by David3 »

Yeah, it was actually ridiculous. Worst case scenario the murder, arson, and insurane fraud charges are out. Everything else is still there. Oh, but wait, she gave them first aid on the island. The jury will never convict her. Right.

Perry

Post by Perry »

Yeh I really hate the fact that Kate basically got off without anything happening to her. Really annoying.

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I hear Michael will be tried in California for killing Libby and Ana-Lucia. But because his son is a giant and his mom is not going to tesify he will be given 20 years probation and must stay in California.

MekareQ

Post by MekareQ »

Just throwing this out, I could be completely wrong:

Since Kate crossed state lines on all her counts, wouldn't she be charged federally? That would allow her to be tried in any federal court in any state.

???

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

MekareQ wrote:Just throwing this out, I could be completely wrong:

Since Kate crossed state lines on all her counts, wouldn't she be charged federally? That would allow her to be tried in any federal court in any state.

???
That was the set up for twin peaks... The FBI got involved because the other "victim" crossed a state border.

Return to “About Lost”