Feedback on Commentary Podcasts

Discuss everyones favorite podcast...
Raxivace

Re: Feedback on Commentary Podcasts

Post by Raxivace »

Just heard the newest episode!

I have to say, that is the most reasonable explanation of The Psychic I've heard. I'm not sure it was what Damon and Carlton intended, but dammit, it works!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hey C&J,

Sorry it's taken me a while to comment (busy, busy). Anyway, the last three podcasts ('?,' 'Three Minutes,' & 'Live Together, Die Alone') have been stellar - old school, multi-hour delights, with excellent discussion and actual new & interesting theories. I would call it a Lost Lowdown Renaissance! GF & I were in California a couple weeks ago and flew out of LAX. On our way to the terminal we shamelessly listened to Giacchino soundtrack pieces featured in airport scenes :) and I listened to you guys on the flight home. Anyway, I'm relishing the recent material you guys put out and will happily re-listen while patiently waiting for the next installment in the LLD Renaissance. Keep digging (and be brave - the start of season 3 isn't that bad) Thanks!

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Glass Ballerina

First off, genius insight from you guys - we are all trapped on The Island by watching and struggling to interpret this show repetitively :D One could also make a purgatory connection if they were so inclined... I like the suggestion that the show is just unsatisfying enough to keep us coming back. It calls to mind the recent Vox article about David Chase and The Sopranos ending (http://www.vox.com/2014/8/27/6006139/di ... e-sopranos) - some parallels to the ending of Lost and the audience reaction to both. As for the conspiracy theories on the many loves of Sun (Jin, Jae Lee, and Michael), I always gave my GF a hard time (still do), trying to persuade her that Ji Yeon is, in fact, Michael's baby. Not that I believe it, but it's fun to consider the scenario, and she gets so riled up when i do :). Despite that, I hope I'm not the adamant proponent you referenced, especially since I have no doubts that Sun & Jae Lee slept together. Good points on the complexity, layers, motivations, and awareness of the situation between Sun, Jin, Jae Lee, & Paik - very well conceived, written, and executed. I never really liked Sun (even at her Widmore confrontation) and she became especially lame towards the end - "Have you seen my hahs-band?" (copy & paste to seasons 5 & 6...). Nice reminiscing on the old dropped Claude calls :) Sorry I can't think of a good term for the Lindeloffian Retcon. The closest I can think of is some kind of a sub-category of the ol' bait-and-switch. Lastly, what I want to know is, between Claude & Justin, who breaks the rocks and who hauls the rocks? Thanks guys!

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Hey Vince!

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah Season 3 is not as bad as I remembered for the first viewing. I will pose your rock breaking question to Justin on the podcast. I don't know the answer, but I'd say I'm the rock breaker. Let's see what Justin says ;) We talk about that article and the Sopranos ending on the upcoming Further Instructions podcast.

We're on a bit of a recording run right now and should have the next 4 eps posts soon!!! (don't get used that though)

I'm really curious when we will finish the entire commentary series, and if there will be anything left to say afterwards. I'd call it "Schrodinger's Podcast", in that I hope there's nothing left to say and simultaneously hope we could still keep going! I kind of want my last words on my death bed to be "...what if the Island is..." and go off into the white light...

Vince

Post by Vince »

C&J,

Just dropping a line to say it's been a busy autumn and I've been scolding myself for not making time for the LLD bonanza you dropped TWO MONTHS AGO! Apologies. At long last I started #133 (Further Instructions) today. Full thoughts to come (on it and the rest) but, for now, since you mentioned it in the first 40 of that 'cast, and it's fresh(ish) news that I'm sure we're all ultra-super-uber-dooper-excited about...TWIN PEAKS!!!!!! ...(whew)...wow...(whew)...um...TPLD in 2015? Anyway, looking forward to finally spending multiple hours w/ you and the season 3 Losties!

-Vince

Vince

Post by Vince »

(OK, 2 down..)

Further Instructions & Every Man...

Polar bear = smoke monster? - love it. In rewatching season one I loved the idea that Man in Black was Locke from the "I saw into the eye of the Island' moment - it really works, as you've both commented (at least during the Boone hallucination episode). It's harder to make work after that, though. I'd like to think that was the original idea and D&C stalled it once they realized they had an indefinite number of seasons to fill. Anyway.. Also found the discussion about Man in Black's exploitation of Locke's daddy issues interesting. I had been rallying for 'rewritelost.com,' but now I'm thinking 'tweakthetenpercent.com'...the show's ripe for a thorough overhaul & reboot in, like, ten years :) ..or 25..(like Twin Peaks!!!). You had me cracking up w/ 'Nikki & Paulo discovered the light cave' :D :D :D Lastly, for now - Jacob:Man in Black::either:or v. both:and - applies to the another fundamental question of the show - science:faith::either:or or both:and? One of the reasons I like the finale is that the science:faith thing is compellingly balanced ala the roles & motivations of Locke & Jack (and the rest) in the ultimate path to resolution. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the next 2 (and a half?!)...and beyond!

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Cost of Living & I Do

WOW - 558 hrs 47 min of LLD! (and counting...) Happy 10 yrs to LOST!! I hope you guys are making a list of all the right questions for D&C - would love to hear it happen. My mind boggles at the possible length of a podcast made up of Claude, Justin, Damon, & Carlton discussing LOST... Regardless, if I were them I'd be listening to LLD and mining the perfect rewrite.

Anyway, I'm caught up w/ LLD. Interesting thought, to reboot the show from Nikki & Paolo's perspective :) ... or maybe Bopo's :D If Man in Black can be animals, do they have to be dead animals? As for the episode title, I like to think that the cost of living is dying. Certainly true in Eko's case...

Glad to hear you guys got so much out of 'I Do' - solved the motherlovin' cabin ;) I like the theory about Jacob & Man in Black's role in the pregnancy mystery, and looping in Ben and Richard. IMHO, Jack's romantic interest in Kate was piqued until he saw her and Sawyer on the monitor. However, I think Kate's sleeping with Sawyer happened because she thought he was going to die in the AM (since Jack told her he wasn't going to help the Others in order to save Sawyer). So both guys get sensitive for Kate, however, the consistent inconsistency of her actions strongly indicate an inability to commit. She keeps running back and forth, just like running from "TV's Nathan Fillion," and I think that's the relevance of the flashback. Jack's bucking manipulation backfires on him, so agrees to do the surgery and he saves Kate & Sawyer, which allows/forces them to live with a promise of intimacy she didn't anticipate having to follow through on. That's not to say she doesn't love either/both of them, just differently than the guys love her. In the long run, the three of them share a deep friendship bonded by their experience. Truly a character-centric show.

On a side note, I re-watched 'Saw' around Halloween. Michael Emerson's character has a very pointed delivery of, "It's the rules." Perhaps 'the rules' of 'The Shape of Things to Come' were but a meta reference about which we all made much ado... Cheers, guys!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Not in Portland

Good to have you guys back. You were missed. However, it was an appropriate parallel to the gap between 'I Do' and this one. I haven't got too much to say on this one. Definitely a solid Juliette ep. I'm shocked that in this rewatch you haven't yet, to my recollection, made mention of her famous "one-quarter pucker!" I'd like to think that it was Hurley who was driving the bus...I'm pretty sure it was a VW... ;) Other Mittelos anagrams: MIST L TOE? or SLIME TOT? or TOM'S LITE? Lastly - Persevere! If you guys could solve the cabin then I'm confident that you can also solve the Incident, as well as Jacob's motivations. Cheers!

ps. X-Files returning!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Flashes Before Your Eyes

'Des-ja vu' had to have been a working title at some point - I think you guys nailed it! Overall, I like the episode, even if it introduces lots of new time travelly complications. One of the things I appreciate most is the concept of 'consciousness time traveling,' since I haven't seen that twist on the device done anywhere else. (I seem to remember hearing D&C say they were inspired by some book that does it) I also love 'The Constant' (although Justin clearly places it with 'Fire+Water' and 'Further Instructions' in his personal ranking...). Though it has less impact on the greater LOST mythology it's an amazing example of a self-contained love story w/ sci-fi twist, pulled off with great editing, solid performances, and that Giacchino magic. Back to 'Flashes' - I still find it frustrating that Desmond's 'terrible shame' that he needs to get over and 'get [his] honor back' is always pretty vague. As you guys said, it's all a bit 'wankered' :p Oh well. Cheers!

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

No!! I like The Constant, I just think it's horribly overrated. In my ratings it would probably be a top 20 episode, but towards the bottom of that 20. I actually think that Flashes... is more interesting in a lot of ways. But maybe I'll change my mind when we get to it.

Vince

Post by Vince »

Whoa! - a quintuple dose of LLD :) Tempted to tear through them but might spread out... Anyway -

Stranger in a Strange Land

Pretty bad episode. Too bad you guys weren't in the writers' room with your ideas on how to make it better. The Ursa Theodoris that Carl mentioned is a terrible pun - Teddy Bear (ugh, I cringe just writing it). I love the thought that Nicki & Paolo spitefully, territorially licked every mysterious item/place they found before our heroes discovered them :D Lastly, I was thrilled to hear the new guest podcaster - who's got a puppy dog?! I'd like to know more of the canine perspective, especially on all things Vincent :)

Vince

Post by Vince »

Tricia Tanaka is Dead

Thank you for clarifying this episode's odd concurrent timeline with Numbers. Most importantly, I'm glad you and the show were able to remind me that this is the episode with Sawyer stepping on the dart! Do we all remember the ridiculous speculation that this injury might become infected, requiring a toe amputation, and Sawyer would be the inspiration for the four toed statue?! :D Seriously, though - is it just foreshadowing about the Others and their stun darts? I really do love the connection between the VW and Roger Workman Linus - cheers to Skeletor! I'm also very glad to be reminded by Cheech Marin that all anybody needs is a little hope :)

Vince

Post by Vince »

Enter 77

Given Locke's chess playing, I think it's worth recalling the flashback to his toy store phase - he loves games (mousetrap, backgammon, etc.). I'll propose that The Others/Ben knew this from reading his file ;) and set the chess up as a trap (is he a mouse?). John also has a well known problem w/ computers and button pushing (what else has buttons & computers in common? a mouse!). Maybe he was tricked him into blowing up The Flame, just like he was tricked into blowing up the submarine. Reason for blowing up The Flame - Ben's desire to cut off communication, like with The Looking Glass (why was that again? did Ben know the Freighties were coming? or was it to have an excuse to keep J&J from leaving The Island?...could it have been The Man in Black manipulating Locke this early? - of course it could cuz Taller Ghost Walt's only a few eps away..head starting to hurt..). Thank you for remembering Aaron's crib as one of Locke's peak moments :)

Of course the cow is Smokey. Mikhail! - "Why are we continuing with this little game when we all know it has moved to the next stage?" LOVE IT. Nadia the Cat!! Adios, Ms. Klugh. You guys really went far out, man, with all the Incident/Jacob/Man-in-Black speculation regarding alternate, yet finite timelines. I think for the first time the LLD melted my brain and all words ceased making sense. I felt like Minkowski's final flashes, mind scrambled by the relentless back & forth between complicated LOST speculative theory and my real world existence. I was able to snap out of it...barely.

(Justin - you said you had a Game of Thrones cat story and you never got to it (on podcast at least). Was it Spoiler
Ser Pounce
? If you guys are watching that show a GOTLD would be amazing!)

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

SPOILER ALERT!! Spoiler
that's it!

Vince

Post by Vince »

(holy schnikes, you guys are on a hot streak! I gotta keep up...)

Par Avion

Yes, the French title - not sure if you mentioned, but Claude is a pretty French soundin' name..and Justin sounds pretty legit in a French accent... The fact that the title 'Air Mail' makes you think of 'Air Bud' is hilarious. Air Vincent v. Cindy :D (and we get another comment from [either C or J's] canine contingent :) ) As I suspect you noticed, this marks the halfway point in the rewatch (episode 61/121)! Hooray (but it also makes me sad)! Claude's voices (Locke & Sayid) are really coming along nicely :) And more of "Justin's Personal Anecdotes," please! No longer in Switzerland?! That time flew by.

Even pre-episode you guys got to some good stuff. I especially like the idea that people might be brought to The Island to be tested, whether they can transcend their own personal demon (whether it be Locke & Sawyer killing Cooper, Sayid surviving Rousseau's torture, Hurley & Dave, Kate coming to grips with the meaning of her horse, etc. [i might be grasping a bit here...]). OK, for serious now - ever since you two coined a new phrase it's been either bringing a smile to my face or just cracking me up - "Wet Submarine Contest" :D :D :D Priceless. You guys could totally do a faux podcast as D&C (a Fodcast? or a Fauxdcast?)

On to the ep... Claire's mom's car crash certainly is interesting in light of what we saw happen to Juliet's ex in 'NIP.' Could The Others be involved? Wasn't Shannon's mom killed in a car crash (from which Sarah sruvived)? Hmmm... The advent of 'We'll talk about this later!' Sawyer + Fountainhead = :) Lest we forget - the goddamned list. If you guys can find a reasonable explanation for the list it would be a testament to human endurance.

I'm so glad you guys remembered my favorite part of the original LLD for Par Avion - the bird, "I got my own problems!" :D :D :D Justin might be more right than he knows about the sensation you guys could be having flashbacks to comments you made in the original LLD podcast...might even be sideways...or before your eyes...or after your eyes. What if you flash to your other/past/future/sideways selves and give them the LOST insights you've discovered on this rewatch?! No! bad idea - we don't want to accidentally prevent a rewatch...of course, even Claude & Justin with knowledge from the future would still rewatch & podcast :) Seriously, though - you two are really hitting on all cylinders - it's like listening to John Coltrane & Elvin Jones.

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Man from Tallahassee

C: Locke's got legs! J: And he knows how to use them :D

"Ben-anigans" :D (although I also like bananagans)

Agree w/ your assessment that Locke has a sadistic story arc. I think it was Claude who said something like the only thing they didn't do was put him in a Human Centipede. Can you imagine a Human Centipede w/ Locke as the B, and Cooper & Ben as the A & C?!
Last edited by Vince on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vince

Post by Vince »

Expose

The Nicki & Paolo Lick Everything Tour. One unassailable part of this ep = Billy Dee Williams! I'd like to think it was this ep that really elevated "Razzle Dazzle" from an underground counter-culture expression to the ubiquitous linguistic philisophical cornerstone that it is today ;) The fact that Locke says, 'Winter's coming,' is further indication that there should be a Game of Thr-owdown! Is there a deleted scene of Ben and Juliet smoking the "drugs" in the Pearl? Juliet does often have a stoned look about her.... As for the spiders, I'm undecided whether they're Smokey or not. I'd like to think Nicki & Paolo's experience might be part of this theory of people being tested. Seems not totally ridiculous that N&P were tested and failed, hence killed by Smokey as spiders (even though, really, the Losties did the deed). Comparisons to Eko's death, Ben's test, maybe even Sayid's claiming? Who knows.

Lastly, thanks for the shout-out - I'm glad to be "the proof that someone's listening" :)

Vince

Post by Vince »

Bonus Podcast

Locke, the unwitting bad guy - very interesting theory. I can't wait until you hit D&C w/ that one in the LLD interview of D&C...

Vince

Post by Vince »

Left Behind

There's only one thing you need to remember from this ep - Kate & Juliet's handcuffed mud fight. I guess this is the closest we get to Smokey scanning people in a similar way to his scan of Eko. Wish they would have done more with that. Also, I hadn't given much consideration tot the possibility that Smokey could be a distinct entity from Man in Black, almost like a possession or disease. Intriguing! Also, for some reason your guys' discussion of the light cave reminded me of Plato's Allegory of the Cave. Could it be that Man in Black provides the very first vessel for Smokey to escape the cave? And that the last 2,000 years have just been like an exploratory adolescence after millennia of isolation in the cave? Nah, never mind :p

Vince

Post by Vince »

One of Us

I'm starting to buy the idea that when young Ben was brought back to life that it was a parallel to what happened to Sayid. That would explain Ben's fundamentally evil nature. Obviously, very different symptoms from Sayid but the show's certainly not known for consistency. So, yeah, Sawyer was the leader for one episode again, after winning the hearts of the Losties, then Jack returns to retake his position. (it's just like Game of Thrones!) Poor Sawyer. The odds would suggest there can only be one Other named Karl. Therefore the little runt we know as Alex's boyfriend also has skills as an x-ray technician. I'm sure it says so on his business card :D

Vince

Post by Vince »

Catch 22

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard a character's stock plummet so rapidly as Desmond's did with you two over the course of this episode. I knew Justin hated The Constant! (jk) I guess Des is flawed, like everyone else, but the accent, the rugged good looks, and the love story all buy him a a lot of leeway. I guess the idea of course correction is here in the sense that Desmond would meet Penny even if he tried to be a monk for life. I definitely endorse the practice of you guys revisiting the old podcasts for some comparison and perspective - a very cool New Segment of the LLD. You really are flashing back! (some gross wordplay for Justin 'the moist POTUS is preggers!")

Vince

Post by Vince »

DOC

Another Sun & Jen episode! Hooray for the return of Jen :) This is the episode that put Sun on my shit list. I understand she's put in a tough position by Jin's blackmailing, prostitute mom but Sun's essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul (this post gave me cause to use the internet to make sure I was using that phrase correctly). I wouldn't have an issue with her choice to pay the blackmail money if she personally took responsibility for the debt she was incurring to her father. Instead, she agrees to essentially give Jin into Paik's service. This is the corruptive element that strains their marriage and creates a lot of the friction we see when we meet & get to know the characters in seasons 1&2 (doesn't help that he was working for more money because he thinks Sun wants $100k of furniture - another lie w/ unintended consequences). Of course Paik is to blame, too, but at least he's just a snake being a snake. I don't buy that this is an instance of Badass Sun (like the Widmore scene). Yes, she tries to be tough, but it's not in her nature and it comes off more as bluster, a weak impression of her father. Sun paying the blackmail was intended to protect Jin but it deeply cripples them as a couple for a long way down the road. I've softerned on her with time, cutting her some slack for making a bad decision in a really hard position. Still, for the record, her actions in this ep are why I don't like Sun.

ps.of course it's Michaels' baby ;p

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Brig

I love Justin's LLD Flashback segment. Hearing where your guys heads were at way back on first watch is a lot of fun. This ep is definitely in my top 5. I still get chills just thinking about it, the poetic confluence of Locke, Sawyer, & Cooper. I binge-watched the first three seasons and I wasn't supplementing the experience with any podcasts or speculation so I didn't connect the dots until they did their grand reveal. It was one of the most effective moments of the show, in my experience, right up there with, 'We have to go back!"

You guys had a bunch of sweet insights. Now that you say it, it seems so obvious - Ben's mom dying in childbirth would have been a huge influence on his obsession with fertility. It might even be the final, satisfying explanation for that whole tangent. I like the correlation of Locke killing Cooper (if by proxy) and Ben killing Jacob, the father figures. Really nice connection. Also genius - the idea that Ben became Man in Black's loophole by being eventually converted from a "believer" to one who would turn against Jacob. The more we rewatch the more it seems that Smokey was playing Ben from his childhood, perhaps even cultivating him...

Lastly - LOST: the overflowing toilet from which we can't look away :D

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Man Behind the Curtain

You guys have gone mega-meta with this Inception-esque, multi-level, interpretive microcosmic relativity, through the fourth wall and deep into the our own collective and individual subconscious. I like the new cabin interpretation - that Ben was just bullshitting his way through a farce co-opted by Man in Black to manipulate both him and Locke. Might it truly all boil down to electromagnetism when it comes to MIB's telekinesis, Smokey's brain scanning, the power of the Island, claiming, the ash, Desmond's power, and more? Wow...just, 'wow.' I'm going to need to critically relisten to all these commentary podcasts to synthesize all the insane mystery solving being done by you guys so I can do one true and final rewatch in which I understand every single detail in the context of your comprehensive and exhaustive insights. Either that or you will need to provide your listening audience with a grand summary at the end of this journey, like a doctoral thesis or something...

Lastly - LOST: the wool sweater that does what it's supposed to and still itches like crazy :D

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Yo Vince!

Yeah this part of the rewatch has been surprisingly mind blowing. After all this time of staring into the "magic eye" that is LOST we are finally piecing together what the show really is. That or we are deluding ourselves ;)

Seriously though, what's even more surprising than the consistent theme of LOST being a grand metaphor for life is how, when asked the big mystery questions, Carlton/Damon's answers are consistently things like, and I'm quoting Carlton "I think it's a lot like life. You get answers to certain questions but new ones always pop up". Before this rewatch, that just sounded like something any writer could say. But now we know it's literally the point the show is trying to make. Magritte's painting "This is not a cigar" comes to mind as something similar where the point is obvious yet elusive. It's right in your face but you don't see it. The island isn't a magic box, it's a magic eye!

The plan is to gather our big insights on Lost and compile them in some form, the working title "LOST: Or How We Over Analyzed a TV Show and Lost My Mind". Or, "We Podcasted about LOST for 700+ hours and all we got was this lousy ebook".

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hey Guys - Yeah, I like the Magic Eye analogy. Instead of your eyes, though, to get the "magic" of LOST you need to unfocus your mind! ;p As far as the writerly responses C&D would give re/ answered:unanswered ratio, David Chase said similar things about Sopranos (the Russian, the bear). From personal experience (Google: 'Sopranos Vincent Respect'), I would definitely encourage a book (for the journey, not for the money...) - I'm good for three copies, at least :D

Greatest Hits

Excellent observation right out of the gate: dramatic heirarchy = drugs<dogs<babies. GF Sarah wants to know what you guys think about the theory that D&C changed their mind between season 3 to season 4 about Kate, Claire, Aaron, & the Oceanic 6 - that the original intention may have been for Claire to be rescued (perhaps on Desmond's helicopter) but Aaron be left behind (to be raised by a Other?!) and Kate truly preggers (that one's for you, Justin). Just think, if Walt had stayed/returned those two could have fulfilled the Swan Hatch murial prophecy and perhaps become the new Jacob & Smokey!!?:D?! I do like the hypothesis that Smokey may have been a judge/gatekeeper for membership as an Other (and servant in some respects? mascot?!). I'm not sure it squares up w/ the information they give us...

OMG - D&C need to let go! ..to help us let go! ..it's too perfect... And for Walt's sake, if you find that lost LLD #1 (Lords of the Rings discussion) the world at large would be delighted, I am sure. Lastly, I am officially re-asserting my belief & hope in how great a Game of Thrones Lowdown (Game of Throwdown, Mr. Podcast, or whatever) would be!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Through the Looking Glass & LOST: The Answers

Sweet! - the longest LLD podcast of the rewatch/commentary era! I'm loving the Justin's flashback segment, hearing old theories in new light, etc. Interesting hypothesis on Locke's paralysis being psychological. That's the closest I've heard to a satisfying explanation of what was going on when he & Boone found the drug plane. "We have to go back," is such a great moment both in it's relevance to the story, but also in how D&C flipped the fundamental story telling device of the flashback into a flash forward. Even if the long-term execution wasn't always perfect it was a genius idea. You've actually got me debating if S3 might topple S2 as my fave... Love the idea that Man in Black was telling himself what he couldn't do! :D And lastly, when you guys got to the bit about D&C saying the horse was related to Smokey, all I could think of was this Family Guy bit:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
'Oh my gawd - you're a horse?! Keep up the great work, guys!

Vince

Post by Vince »

LOST: The Missing Pieces

I hadn't even thought of these in forever. Nice pull. I'm so glad we finally got to see the Sun & Michael scene of Ji Yeon's conception - puts that mystery to bed ;) Interesting theory that Hanso could have mentored Widmore. Wasn't it suggested at some point that Widmore Industries was responsible for Dharma station construction? Good point on how Widmore's timeline doesn't make much sense. When Juliet burns those muffins and the smoke alarm goes off, is it Smokey?! Genius theory that Vincent's color vision is the result of Island healing magic :D I only listened, so is this where Ethan's wearing a UW-Madison shirt? Go Badgers! You've plussed even your crackpot theory quotient with the suggestion that LOST the TV show is actually a psychological experiment conducted by the CIA. You two must be candidates... I also find it amusing that you (Justin, at least) admit to liking mysteries because of your desire/faith in answers. Since we know the deal w/ LOST (tough odds) it seems rather Locke-esque to keep digging... Regardless, I definitely like this new level of discussion you've elevated to - really embracing the idea that LOST is about the meaning of life and what happens after you die. You've gotten very meta/microcosmic! Even if it's Locke-esque of me, I have faith that you two will solve the puzzle :)

Vince

Post by Vince »

It's now Day 116 that we've been stranded on this island of no LLD :( ...that's officially longer than the Oceanic 6 were stranded on LOST Island! ;)

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Hey Vince!

Yes it's been a long time! Both Justin and I have been super busy, with me being more busy than I've ever been.

We are trying to find a way to keep the LLD train going.

We plan to podcast for our 10 year anniversary coming up soon!! So look forward to that. Also, do you have any ideas of what we should do??

Starting in June we hope to get back to a regular cadence of releasing episodes. We're half way through the show!! Can't stop now!!

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Woohoo!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hmmm, 10 ideas for the 10th anniversary show...

It was cool when Justin revisited old podcasts to reflect on (or ridicule) old theories - maybe something like that

Concisely summarizing the current theories/thinking on big picture concepts such as 'What's the deal with the cabin?' and 'What's the deal with the pregnancies?'

Revisiting Vince's famous unanswered questions list with those new theories in mind

A visit from Jen

Your epic and revelatory interview w/ D&C? Or some random B/C/D level actor from the series (like Tom or Frogurt)

Extended LOST soundtrack dance remix

A Claude v. Justin LOST trivia stump-off

Claude & Justin secret ballot answer questions like 'Favorite/Least Favorite Character,' 'Favorite/Least Favorite Episode,' 'Most Frustrating Unanswered Question,' 'Most Ridiculous Moment,' etc and then try to guess each others' answers

Live show with listener chat

A video/skype show where we actually find out what the hell you guys look like!

Is that enough ideas for a start?

Raxivace

Post by Raxivace »

Vince's ideas are pretty dope IMO.

Vince

Post by Vince »

10th ANNIVERSARY PODCAST

Glad you two are back! Happy 10 years, Claude & Justin! I'm pullin' for you guys to make it to the one month's worth of podcasts. More Game of Thrones discussion, please :D How come we've never thought of it before - a fan podcast about LLD?! - genius. I would like to formally request a dramatic reading by C&J of the lost gem, 'Return to Zork.' The suggestion that The Island is a metaphor for the heart of man is simultaneously interesting and ludicrous. Not sure which direction my scale is tipping... Was I detecting that your reboot bitterness/skepticism was X-Files related (with the exception of the were-creature ep. I hated it)? I also appreciate Claude's pet peeve of Locke being the punching bag - well said. It was nice to hear the Mulholland love. Can we hope for a Twin Peaks Lowdown when it comes back next year? :D :D :D Lastly, perhaps best line of the podcast - "We could talk about {LOST} forever - it's like a merry-go-round that never stops." Love it :) Looking forward to a marathon work session with The Beginning of the End podcast...

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Beginning of the End

Wow, the second, shorter half of the series commentary is underway - truly the beginning of the end...

LOST solved yet again, by Claude & Justin! (re Smokey mobility & telekinesis) Justin: "I hate it when things seem to make sense." Claude: "I swear, this commentary series is just the gift that keeps on giving." YES! Genius connection from the eye in the cabin to to the Eye of Horus/Horace - seems like a no-brainer, now. Justin: "It seems that if we wait long enough, answers come present themselves...It's weird. It's very weird."

Claude: "Rose just told [Claire] to give [Charlie} a blow job, at least." :D I still hate the, 'tell my sister I love her,' line and I'll hate it even more when Miles bluntly explains that it's a code in the next episode. It's starting to feel that you guys (Justin, moreso) are just as much anti-Locke as as anti-writers of Locke. When Locke says, 'Everything I've done, I've done for the Island,' I believe him. I think his intentions are good, but he's just deluded. I'm also liking the approach that, when something doesn't make sense, to think of it as an answer to a question we're not asking (like Jacob's "foot house").

If you guys are ever looking for more content I'd be interested to hear you go through the 50 Unanswered Questions you mentioned from Gizmodo... Also, it might be fun to make a game of seeing how many episode titles you two can sneak into your discussion. That always cracks me up :D You started postulating on afterlife magnetic field energy and my brain started to melt again. I do like the idea that the afterlife experience we saw was unique to the LOSTies due to their exposure to Island energy. Is the light cave a storehouse of consciousness? Hmm... You keep hinting at a book.. do it ;)

Please make sure you guys are consultants on the reboot! The show runners would be fools not to tap your extensive consideration & corrections. And, finally, on the sad day that the LLD is done you need to find your own LOST-y way to blow it up, ala the sub/Flame/Swan/Ilana/the Cabin/etc.

Vince

Post by Vince »

Confirmed Dead

The long awaited sequel to 'Confirmed Horse' :D I think that's supposed to be our clue that the picture frames were rearranged by Kate's horse. Glad to finally have the Freighties! ...though Miles' ham-scripted & delivered explanation of Naomi's "my sister" code - UGH! (btw - love Ken Jeong's appearance on The Sopranos) You're right, Justin - the polar bear IS the biggest mystery on LOST ;) Do we think it's the same cow that Frank encounters here as we saw in 'Enter 77?' A Smokey Cow would be a pretty sneaky way for MIB to scan... In consideration of Miles' power in comparison to Hurley's (crackpot theory), maybe Hurley was born on The Island...I don't think we've heard concrete proof to the contrary... I think there are more depths to be plumbed in the "moving on," ~purgatory, afterlife-connection vein. Keep going, C&J!!

ps.I just rewatched 'Psalm 23' and had a couple interesting observations. It's the first appearance of Mikhail (on the monitor, from The Pearl) and it's immediately preceded by Sayid saying he'd do his best to "patch in" the monitors :) So, Patchy would most likely have been at The Flame - in the same episode Juliette serves Jack dinner in his cell - "you people have cheeseburgers here?!" - and there's the connection to Frank running into the cow! This is also the ep. that Locke tells Eko he saw a beautiful light, the "eye of The Island." Any support to the possibility that he actually stumbled on the Light Cave?...

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Hey Vince!

Thanks so much for the feedback. Makes the effort extra worthwhile!

-----
Yeah, figuring out not only big long time mysteries but small strange things years and years later is such a weird, awesome feeling. But a good one! Smokey's telekinesis might be my fav LLD mystery solve. Thinking about that one little action of Locke/MIB uncuffing Ben with his mind from a new angle and discovering it solves things we weren't even questioning is bonkers! Things like that is the reason we are still podcasting. And I just get more and more convinced there will never be another show with this kind of "je ne sais quoi".

The Island is Locke's key to his self-worth, so when he says everything he's done was for The Island, that translates into everything he's done was for himself. Definitely misguided. Classic Locke!

Yeah the LLD tool of a confusing element being the answer to a question you might not even be asking is a game changer. I think there are some of these we might have missed in previous eps. But we'll keep that tool for use going forward!

The book is going to happen!! We've been working on it!!

Being consultants on the reboot would be cool and probably sucky since I think it won't/can't be as good as the original.

Blowing up the LLD is a good idea. I think the thing that translates into is deleting all of the podcasts from the server and our website! But we'd never do that.

Smokey the Cow! Surely that's a thing.

I don't think Locke saw the light cave because it's hidden from regular people. I think Locke saw Smokey and the point of him saying it was beautiful was to contrast with everyone else seeing a monster. The "eye" part could allude to the idea that Smokey clearly is able see/scan and Locke thinks it's connected to the island. Classic Locke!

Stay tuned for the next LLD ep! We are trying to podcast about The Economist this weekend!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hey C, J, & Countless Fans!

Wow, what a drop of four LLD's!!!! :) Taking 'em a bit at a time..OK...

The Economist

Mostly cuz I haven't heard it posed, I'm gonna throw out there that Ben is The Economist per his purported manipulative acumen, punctuated at the end of the ep..for the first time I imagined Sayid's line to be, "I'm a torte-erer," - as in he makes tortes :D (puts a whole new spin on his arc ;) )...anyway, you guys got me thinking that, given Ben's manipulation of Sayid, perhaps it's an archetypical story of the random mercenary violence we see ala Nadia, Keamy, Juliet's ex, etc - that this is how the Island bidness works onshore..but is it strictly business? or good intentions conscripted for ulterior motives (Ben/Widmore)? I feel like I'm giving them more credit than...

I def like the parallel between the sonic fence and the Island barrier. My favorite voice tone from Justin is 'uncontrollably increasing incredulousness, bordering on hysteria due to frustration' :D What if rocket time delay is due to same phenomenon that flashed Losties into the 70s creating a three-year delay for them reuniting with their proper timeline?...Thoughts on the possibility that Widmore intentionally used/lured Desmond to the Island with his solar race? ;) (Desmond's Monk Month :D ) Maybe Mikhail knew Desmond was on the Island because he saw him from The Flame ?...Charlotte decided not to leave because she had more "work to do" (like Locke, & Ben, & Richard, Jacob, and Mother?, and...?!)! Are time loops related to loop holes? Are loop holes related to worm holes? Are worm holes related to donut holes? Are donut holes related to damn good cups of coffee?...(TPLD'17?)

Eggtown

I don't hate it and I still like the grenade-in-the-mouth bit! I think the larger theme of rules is in evidence, Locke's rules v. Kate/Ben/(Claire?), court of law (some of the best Jack-face you'll find!), etc. Still, loses mystique/intrigue once you have the larger picture...

My new fave personal amusement comes from the LLD tradition of allowing implied explanations of mysteries on Deleted Scenes, and it's a bit meta..what if this entire series, as broadcast, was just the deleted scenes from a much broader, detailed, and sensible story?...

Anwyay, back with more thoughts next time. Thanks, guys!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Eggtown (the greatest mystery of LOST, continued...)

I like Locke's grenade in Miles' mouth and expansion of The Lie (though, of course, it's not nearly as intriguining on subsequent watches). Very important question - who was watching Xanadu?! Seems like it could have been Juliet, although I'd prefer to think that it was Radzinski's favorite movie :) Another great question - how did the lost these keep their teeth so clean? Interesting point by you guys that Locke's story is really just a long series of failures (killing Cooper, Richard's Dalai Lama test, the Walkabout, the Button, getting everyone back to the Island, trusting Ben...) - yikes.

Also, I recently rewatched 'The Brig' and was considering the parallel between the scene where Ben presents Locke with his dad tied up in a chair and the cabin scene in which Ben "presents" Locke with invisible Jacob in a chair. In both, Ben is certainly messing w/ Locke's head and there may or may not being Island magic at play. Anything more you two can tease out of putting those two scenes side-by-side?

The Constant

Claude quote of the ep: "Hate the thing it is, not the thing it tricked you into thinking it was." Even though it's not the direction they went, I found it intriguing your idea that past and present Desmond consciousnesses could have been swapping and remaining conscious in each others' realities. Then the idea of Smokey consciousness-time-traveling is a cool one - lots of potential there. He was certainly around a fair amount of electromagnetism... Awesome bonus-post-podcast-podcast-look-back! It was cool to hear your reactions to yourselves from 8 years ago :) I can't wait until we get to the commentary-on-the-commentary series! Through the looking glass!!

You guys had a moment of uncertainty about which mysteries you've sorted out and which remained unanswered. I rather like the idea that this whole endeavor is like Memento. Over the course of hundreds of hours retreading the details you've actually solved everything..but the circle is so wide and the narrative so convoluted that by the time you come back around to a mystery you've forgotten that you solved it, and we start over again :o

The Other Woman

I never considered that Harper could've been the Smoke Monster - interesting! If I'm remembering correctly, this episode fictionally took place on the day after Christmas, the same day as the Indian Ocean tsunami in the real world. It would have been cool for D&C to somehow incorporate an epic natural disaster like that into the story. Oh well. I guess naming the station the Tempest is kind of a consolation... I love your suggestion that Claire's going to question Miles with Aaron's help in a good-cop-bad-cop interrogation team :D :D :D Lastly, in response to Harper's line about Juliet looking like an important "her" in Ben's life, the two main theories were his mom or Annie. Here's a a crazy theory - what if Annie is Ben's mom via time travel?!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Ji Yeon

Little known fact - Ji Yeon is the Korean equivalent of Justin ;) ...ala Justin, The Transliterator! Thank you - I too love that word :) I've found it very practical when transliterating 'fugghedaboudit,' 's'a'ight,' & most importantly - 'whaddayagonnado' :D I like your theory of Smokey's power/abilities changing once the donkey wheel is turned & I also like the suggestion that MIB in Locke's body is torture for MIB. You two are essential consultants on the imminent reboot, including improved dialog like, 'Shut yer pucker!' Cheers to TLLD in 2017! :D

(don't trust the writers...)

Vince

Post by Vince »

missing you guys...

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

New one is on its way! (Also there's a leftovers podcast, if you like that show...)

Vince

Post by Vince »

Meet Kevin Johnson

Great to hear you guys again! Yes, all the Dreamers die :( :D !! I do like the idea, though, that some of the visions characters see are just in their own mind. That leaves it open to whether it's Smokey using his dream/vision "powers" or whether it's more run-of-the-mill internal guilt complex type thing. I like the similarities of dreams and hallucinations and how they might be two aspects of Smokey's power, but there are just as many (if not more) inconsistencies that drive me crazy. Totally forgot about Ben's fake bomb (dare I say, 'Fomb' ?) - such BS... Tom Friendly's most surreal appearance?! Totally revises the character as we understood him. Ugh - Libby... (I'm feeling it in Justin's tone of disgust) And, yes, it makes absolute sense that, just like the living characters on the show, that ghosts don't know anything either. All the ghosts should take the C&J writerly advice and get together in a purgatory bar and just share all their stories so they can figure some shit out (or just 'move on' :D ala Christian ). Now that I write that, is it worth considering the similarities between vision/hallucination Christian telling Michael he can 'go' and Flash Sideways Christian shepherding the Losties beyond the church door in the finale? Probably just create more headaches, but there might be something there. I hope you guys are taking notes on your evolving and ever more refined & insightful interpretations/explanations on the show. I will buy ten copies of that book! Lastly - fuckin' Widmore...

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Shape of Things to Come

I finally, finally got around to listening to this one! (and now anxiously looking forward to the next, but first...) This is still a fun episode, even with foreknowledge of eventual loose ends. When the hotel desk clerk asks Ben if he's visited before, does his hesitation suggest not only that he knows time travel is a possibility but also that it could be travel backwards into the past?! What would give him that idea? During the Keamy Team assault of heavy artillery and explosives on the Barracks, it still cracks me up every time when Sawyer takes shelter behind a picket fence, a swing set, and a gas grill :D Quote of the commentary belongs to Justin: "I (Ben) just flushed the Smoke Monster toilet!" I still like the parallel to Michael Emerson's character in the movie Saw having a line about The Rules. I'd like to think it was a nod by the LOST writers. I can't believe you guys came up with the intriguing theory of a fake Jakob and neglected to name him...(wait for it)...Fakob! The microcosm of deadbeat daddy issues holds up, at least to moderate scrutiny. Keep going with the word salad theories - they're gold. I'll give it a try... Desmond + Fate + Deus Ex Machina. I think I need to practice to get up to your level. Until next time :)

Vince

Post by Vince »

Something Nice Back Home

Per Justin, "All the shit is hitting the fan!" Interesting theory you guys had that MIB could be the great ancestor of all the characters with special powers. That would also raise the question of how the Island draws them back... I always wished they had explored different eras of the Island, that there have always been people, with a connection or randomly, drawn to it. Every few years or decades there would be a new person or group who had just as much of a story/adventure as our Losties. They hinted at ancient Egyptians, and showed us 2000 year-old Romans, & 19th C. slave traders - there's plenty of uncovered territory that's ripe for the reboot, or spinoffs galore. ..."Taintgate...the story of Ben's taint" :D Also interesting - that the Tempest's poison gas vent system could have been Smokey related. Also seems possible that the Tempest could have been connected to the Cerberus vents (either as a Smokey trap? or delivery method for Purge?) Anyway, as you correctly observed in the podcast - you guys still got it after all these years!

Raxivace

Post by Raxivace »

Listening to the season 5 episodes now. Its great to see you guys have made it this far. :)

Vince

Post by Vince »

Cabin Fever

Best theory from you guys right out of the gate: Smokey was the submarine :D Logically, that fits right in with Inverse Jesus, since Jesus was never a submarine (as far as we know). On listening to your discussion of the Cabin confusion, it occurred to me that Locke really needed Charlie or someone to give him the message, 'Not Jacob's Cabin.' Good sciencing, on your part, that satellite phones transmitting through the time differential would have made voices sound like the chipmunks. A thought on why Ben might have been confused about the Smoke Monster and its power of judgment/forgiveness - could be tied to the fact that he was introduced in the form of his dead mother, and that's been an emotional hindrance/misconception the whole time. Thanks for the suggestion that Hurley's ability to see dead people could explain Dave - I never thought of that (or if I had I forgot). I like your speculation that the electromagnetism surrounding the Donkey Wheel may have been what prevented Smokey from turning it himself. That, plus the theory that the Barrier could have somehow been a Smokey containment method, inspires me to wonder if maybe the Swan Station's electromagnetism was more about Smokey containment. The true security system? Would that mean that the Swan implosion somehow unleashed Smokey in some way? Also, intriguing that Smokey could have been maliciously sending people about in time for his nefarious purposes, compared/contrasted w/ Jacob putting people on paths.

Anyway, you may be right that this all is moot because you solved everything back in the original eight-hour Cabin Fever podcast. Maybe we have to go back...

Vince

Post by Vince »

There's No Place Like Home

Two years to do Season 4?! Wow. (don't get me wrong - I'm sooo glad you did TP :D :D :D) When you inevitably write the perfect reboot you should def use the idea that Locke time travels to be Jack's dad. And I'm liking this idea - it would have been hilarious if it was slowly, gradually revealed that the final member of the Oceanic 6 was...Vincent :) (feel free to use that in the reboot) You got me thinking about Hurley's crackers - it seems there's 3 options: 1) they're kept fresh via Island magic, 2) they time travelled, 3) Jacob made them immortal. Thoughts? Interesting mention of yours - the parallel between the freezing of the donkey wheel and the freezing of the bomb. Boone & Shannon as soul mates?! Sun's screams are still traumatic, even just listening to the audio. Finally, you do posit a logical hypothesis about the likely degree of atrociousness of Desmond's breath, upon reuniting with Penny.. Looking forward to the LLD series commentary's third act!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Because You Left

Season 5 - hold on tight cuz we're heading into the Choo Choo Tunnel! Definitely interesting to be reminded that it's here that Richard prompts Locke to inadvertently create the Loophole. I'm sure it's been brought up before, but is there a chance that we can explain Desmond's Claire/helicopter vision ws a flash from the Sideways? Or were any of Des's premonitions actually new memories, ala Daniel's directive to go to Oxford? Justin's quote of the show - "It's weird that seemingly Locke's legs have Desmond-like powers." :D Also, you posited that, without context, Locke's actions & reasonings have the appearance of those of an insane person. Although I don't think it's an explanation, it's worth pointing out that his mother had a history of mental health issues. Is there any chance that her "ravings" of immaculate conception etc. were actually the result of legitimate supernatural experiences of the Island, perhaps to do with the mysterious "him" her mother warned against in the Cabin Fever flashback? Maybe I'm looking to connect dots that were never intended to be connected... Claude's quote of the show - "The Island has so many pockets of energy it's like cargo shorts!" :D

Vince

Post by Vince »

The Lie

Not much to say about this one... Hot Pocket - another pocket! Is there any chance that Charlotte's memory loss issues are an indication of what caused/causes those of Daniel? Ben's off-Island network is pretty ridiculous. It would have been nice if the Ana Lucia cameo had more significance instead of the very throwaway, obligatory, half-assedness of it. And, another (the last, great?) red shirt culling, with Frogurt first in line! OK, that's all I got :) Thank you, C&J!!

Return to “About The Lost Lowdown”