Reality...

CorpsesAndChaos

Reality...

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

post-modern Matrix vs. material universe.... in the podcast.

just as a point, lets remember that the Matrix is a virtual reality thats foundation rests on the larger material universe to exist. i never watched all the movies because II was a serious piece of crap, but im going to assume that no post-modern "programmed" context can exist without a larger material foundation so it has the resources to keep the program running.

their physical "bodies" still exist in the material in pods. the matrix is just secondary. besides, we have to dip into stupid neo-cartesian mind/body splits in order for it to exist at all. usually in sci-fi we let some ridiculous things slide because "technology" is involved and its pop culture scientainment.

yes, this is totally nonsense. but this show wasted 6 years, whats 5 more minutes. haha

JanicM

Re: Reality...

Post by JanicM »

According to Oxford dictionary, "Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be"

Say I was a character in the Lost universe (which is aware of the existence of an afterlife / purgatory) then I would have to say yes, the afterlife does exist / is part of the universe and therefore real. It's not even like you're isolated, you interact with other humans.

An agnostic would probably give this answer: "Given our knowledge of the way the world 'is,' how can we know the way the world 'ought to be'?"
"Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it."

TheRadioTower

Re: Reality...

Post by TheRadioTower »

haha It seemed that Justin was really starting to get pissed during this "reality" debate, you could hear his voice rising and the inflections becoming stronger.

Return to “Podcast #83”