Other TV Shows

Got ideas you want us to talk about?
Silentbob

Other TV Shows

Post by Silentbob »

What other shows do you guys watch? i know Claude and Justin are fans of 30 rock, B*G, and Dexter, and Mad Men, and I think you mentioned True Blood (or sookie's adventures, as justin calls it) before. what else?

lately, ive been watching Breaking Bad. it's really great. it's about a suburban chemistry teacher who whas been diagnosed with fatal lung cancer, and decides to go into the methamphetamine business. having great knowledge of chemistry, he ends up cooking the best stuff in town, and causes suspicion from his wife and son, his brother in law in the DEA, and rival dealers. it just finished it's second season on AMC. i recommend this over anything else on television today.

i've also been watching some old shows that have been canceled over the years. Freaks and Geeks, which is my favorite show of all time, Undeclared, Carnivale, Twin Peaks...

I was wondering if Claude or Justin are gonna do any other tv show podcasts this summer, other than lost. true blood just started it's second season, but podcasting and theorizing on that might be pointless if you've already read the books, (which i haven't) but it's still a great show. if you guys have any other shows to recommend, that would be great too. and if any of the fellow listeners have suggestions, that would be good too.

Justin
Site Admin

Re: Other TV Shows

Post by Justin »

As far a comedy goes, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Show, and to a lesser extent, of Arrested Development. Not much point in podcasting about those.

My favorite show of all time is still Twin Peaks, I rewatch it at least once a year. It doesn't really make sense because it has so much crap in it, more even than LOST (and it was only 2 seasons), but when it was good, it was mindblowing stuff, it was what I keep wanting LOST to be. I also think Special Agent Dale Cooper is probably my all time favorite TV character, which is saying a lot. I have long wanted to do a podcast about it, but the stars have to align.

Jen

Post by Jen »

See Justin, you should give Breaking Bad another chance.

SB- I'm not caught up, but the last one i saw was the one with The Turtle. yikes...

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

I recently had a Weeds marathon, it was good till the end of season 3 but they stopped being funny in Season 4 and started taking themselves too seriously. First 2 episodes of S5 have been pretty good though. I tried watching twin peaks when the new dvd came out like last year or the year before but since it was made so long ago it looks old and low rent, the production values leave a lot to be desired. I wish it was made more recently with a budget.

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

It doesn't look low rent to me, and aside from some unfortunate fashion choices, it doesn't look old to me either. It was a prime time show on ABC, their budgets may be higher now than they were then, but it wasn't a low budget show, at the time. It is dated in style, I would say, and that may be part of what you don't like about it.

Jen

Post by Jen »

Justin wrote:It doesn't look low rent to me, and aside from some unfortunate fashion choices, it doesn't look old to me either. It was a prime time show on ABC, their budgets may be higher now than they were then, but it wasn't a low budget show, at the time. It is dated in style, I would say, and that may be part of what you don't like about it.
...and the music. Justin, I know you love the music, but to the normal ear, it is unbearably cheesy. And James.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

I recently watched Freaks and Geeks for the first time. I really love it. Really wish I had seen it when it was first on, when I could have identified with the characters more. I decided to see it after noticing so many of the actors that I like now (pretty much the entire main cast) were on the show. It's interesting how they're all pretty big deals now. It's like if you *weren't* on that show, you're probably not acting right now.

Twin Peaks is great. And I agree it looks old. But that's def the style. And I think it adds to the tone of the show. I think if the setting was Manhattan, it would look a lot different, irrespective of the budget.

Breaking Bad is on my list. So is the Wire. Carnivale and Deadwood are on the list, lower, but still on the list.

I like Weeds. It has changed a LOT since season the beginning. I really like how far they've taken the characters. But it is dark and not really funny. It's just good drama now.

All of this talk of good TV makes me upset about the few years were I just gave up on TV and stopped watching. I think seeing Six Feet Under and Arrested Development is what brought me back.

I would recommend Party Down for a really good comedy. It's a very smart show.

Jen

Post by Jen »

Freaks and Geeks is great. I made me love James Franco. I also love that the actor who played Sam Weir is getting married to his boyfriend. Have you watched Undeclared? It isn't as good in my opinion, but it is more of a comedy and it definitely is worth watching. Jason Segel has an amazing secondary role in it.

Silentbob

Post by Silentbob »

yeah. i liked undeclared okay, and jason segal is definitely the best part of it. it's not freaks and geeks, but it's pretty fun. i love mr show and AD. i've watched some of twin peaks, and am a big fan of david lynch. i agree that it's dated-ness makes it a bit hard to watch, but whenever i have the time, i always enjoy watching it. i'm still hooked on breaking bad. almost finished season 2. i love every single actor on freaks and geeks. you guys should give it a watch.

as far as HBO shows, i tried to get into that new show Hung, but i just couldn't. none of the characters seemed very likeable, especially the kids, and the voiceover narration struck me as lazy. i'll give it a few more watches. i've been catching up on last season's eastbound and down. it's vulgar and dumb, but really funny and endearing. danny mcbride, next to zach galifianakis, is my favorite rising star in today's comedy world. that new show coming this fall, bored to death, looks great. i love jason shwartzman, rushmore is one of my favs. zach galifianakis is also involved. i've been a huge fan of his stand up, and he's recently blossomed as a star, what with tim and eric, his internet stuff, and the hangover. did anyone else here see that? i thought it was great. zach totally stole the show. i'm looking forward to anything else that guy does.

JanicM

Post by JanicM »

You brought up Next Generation several times during the podcast. I'd like to propose something like a Top5 Next Gen episodes-podcast. :>
"Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it."

Silentbob

Post by Silentbob »

oh. and bob odenkirk is on breaking bad. he plays their defense attorney

i'd like to watch the next generation more thoroughly some time. i've seen about 10 episodes on g4, and always enjoyed it.

you guys should also check out tim and eric. it's produced by bob odenkirk, and sometimes him and david guest star. it's kinda like an eleven minute long romp of mr show, if mr show fell of the deep end and started abusing drugs. it's not for everyone, most of my friends think it's annoying, but i think it's great.

Silentbob

Post by Silentbob »

oh. i got another one. a couple of years ago, a new york comedy trio got a short lived sketch comedy show, inexplicably called 'Human Giant'. it got poor ratings, but was renewed for a second season based solely on fan support. it still ultimately ended up getting cancelled. the sketches were typically short, clever, and hilarious. certainly more grounded and mature than 'tim and eric' but much faster paced than 'snl'

you may recognize all three of them from TV today. aziz, the most famous one now, was on parks and recreation, and had minor parts in funny people, observe and report, and a bunch of other stuff. paul is most famous for being the head page on 30 rock in the page jacket episode. (season 2, i think) rob was also on human giant, as the host of milf island.

so check it out if you haven't already. many of their best sketches are on youtube, or aziz's website, azizisbored.com. season 1 is available on dvd, so netflix it if you can!

Perry

Post by Perry »

Well may as well add my vote for Breaking Bad.

Vince

Post by Vince »

Claude & Justin - Have you guys got on the 'Breaking Bad' train yet? Fourth season just started last night. I think you would make great Mr. Podcast material of it...

Vince

Post by Vince »

(It feels weird over here in another thread!) Apparently it's been 5 years since I (or anyone) made a suggestion so I guess it's time. Y'all been watchin' Westworld? Cool sci-fi w/ good mystery elements. Would love to hear you guys talk about it :)

ps. Breaking Bad was good

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Hey Vince!

I started watching Westworld and took a pause before all the mysteries started heating up. Planning to finish season 1 when it's over. I told Justin to maybe add it to his watch list depending on how the season unfolds.

I'm actually in the middle of rewatching Twin Peaks for the first time in years. It's soooo good! That show we will definitely be podcasting about. There are more Lost connections that I had previously remembered.

Vince

Post by Vince »

(: (: (:

!!! TPLD '17 !!!

that gum you like is going to come back in style...it is happening again...

:) :) :)

Return to “Topics”