Post Your General Reactions to "Meet Kevin Johnson"

15x16x23x42
You-Know-Who

Post Your General Reactions to "Meet Kevin Johnson"

Post by You-Know-Who »

This was a beautiful episode. It was very fulfilling and answered a lot of great questions. It reminded me a little bit of "Flashes Before Your Eyes" Since it had one big flashback bookended by scenes on the island, also it was intensely focused on one character.

I love Michael's inner conflict. I love to watch his pain. I thought his flashback was very beautiful and poignant. They found a convenient way not to show too much of Walt, but I really liked it, it made perfect sense.
The driving scene in the beginning was stunningly shot, it reminded of something out of "Death Proof", or "Sin City".

...Which reminds me, we didn't see Zoe Bell as Regina, too bad since I had a pet theory that she and Naomi were lovers, I thought that's why Naomi had the bracelet saying "N (Naomi) I'll always be with you, RG (Regina, whatever her last name).
I guess we already got Tom being gay, remember that line waaay back in the season 3 premiere "Kate, you're not my type", it finally got resolved! Even such a tiny line! That's LOST for you, they have it all planned, but we get to see it over three more years.

- Seeing Libby again was great, but I can't wait to find out the rest of her story. C'mon Darlton give it to us!!! Also why did Michael only see Libby and not Ana Lucia? Did he not feel guilty about Ana or they just couldn't get the actress again?

- So, can Miles only talk to dead people or can he also read the minds of living people. His comment to Michael was deliciously ambiguous, reminds me of the cut sonic fence scene from "The Economist".

- So what is Widmore telling all the people who signed up to be on the Freighter?.. That they're going to search for an island... but is that why the people are there? We know why Frank's there (trust me we're gonna see Widmore and Ben squabbling about who faked the wreckage until at least the end of this season), but why is MInkowski there etc. I guess they're all there for they're own individual reasons, which doesn't bode well for good relationships between the crew members, no wonder the Freighter's in such a mess now.

- The flag thing out of the bomb was kinda lame, but I think Ben's plan is to have Michael sabotage the engine (like he said) and just leave the boat there so that the whole crew will go crazy by the effects of being near the "barrier" and basically self-destruct. That's the way Ben thinks, he let's other forces kill his enemy's (like the tallies killing Goodwin). Now, maybe since Michael can't kill himself, he also can't be affected by the effects of the barrier, maybe his on the "good" side of the island.... doesn't the island sound like a grouchy dad :-).

- I thought that last scene was awesome! It had a really good cliffhanger. Alex said: "My dad doesn't want me to get hurt", Yeah but Karl and Rousseau... not so much. I think it was the Others who were shooting the arrows and I think Ben (showing his knack for letting other forces do the dirty work) communicated with them the same way he communicated with Harper in "The Other Woman". Which way is that? I have no clue.

Now I have to say something... SAYID IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE, HOW CAN HE SELL MICHAEL OUT LIKE THAT!? I KNOW HE KILLED TWO OF THE TALLIES, BUT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE WITH THEM, IT'S NO REASON TO JEOPARDIZE THE ONLY CHANCE THEY HAVE AT STOPPING WIDMORE WHO I BELIEVE WANT'S TO HARM THE ISLAND! I HATE YOU SAYID!!!!..... Whew! Now that that's off my chest...I think that Sayid selling out Michael is the moment Ben refers to in "The Economist" when he said...

"Remember the last time you thought with your heart instead of your gun."

"Yes I remember Ben... I sold out Michael, letting Widmore get to the island, and that's why there are people in danger still there, and that's why I'm working with you to kill all of Widmore's people, so I can save my friends."

It's all coming together...

Oh, I don't really hate Sayid, but it is gonna take me a while to get over my temporary frustration with him... I think 5 weeks should do it... I'll be ready by April 24th. ;)
Last edited by You-Know-Who on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:58 am, edited 11 times in total.

Stephen
Site Admin

Re: Post Your General Reaction to "Meet Kevin johnson"

Post by Stephen »

What a lackluster ending.

I recall hearing a promo saying that somebody will die. Is it Karl or Danielle or both? I really really don't think they'd kill Danielle like that. She has been a big part of the story since season one, I doubt she'd be killed in such a way. Karl... Well I just can't see him dying. The shooter? I was expecting Ben to come tromping out of the bushes, but that's too obvious and unlikely. But Ben does have it out for both Danielle and Karl.

Michael's story was pretty boring. Except for tidbits here and there I didn't get much out of it. Shorter ghost Walt is living with his grandmother, Tom is gay, Michael was ordered to kill everybody on the freighter, Michael is suicidal, etc.

Oh, and according to the map, the Temple is a Dharma station? Come on. What's next, is the forest a Dharma station?

You-Know-Who

Re: Post Your General Reactions to "Meet Kevin Johnson"

Post by You-Know-Who »

Why wouldn't the Temple be a Dharma station? I mean, if there's a station called the Orchid, there can be a station called the Temple.

MekareQ

Post by MekareQ »

Just a weird theory:
I think the suicides on the frieghter aren't the 'sickness,' per se, but the island skrewin' with people's head as a self-defense measure.

How crazy is that?

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

They could be the same thing. The island defends itself by making people "sick" and act crazy so people start thinking it's a "sickness" they have no other rational explanation. "Sickness" is just a word.

MekareQ

Post by MekareQ »

That's a good point, YKH, I'm wondering if the island has it's own kind of 'immune system,' that works to get rid of things it feels dangerous. Remember Ben saying something along the line of "more deadly than the island has had to deal with in a long time..." We speculated that the island had its own threshold of defense, that would generally repel what it perceived as dangerous.

What else have we seen that could qualify as a self-defense from the island? You pointed out the sickness, the crazy-inducing bubble may be along the same lines or something else, I feel we've seen enough to imply that the island can affect things physically, I don't know what else.

What else has been protecting the island?

MekareQ

Post by MekareQ »

One more thing....

Did Ben arrange the murder of Karl and Danielle, or was it someone else?
and
So are we not going to get the backstory on Danielle now?

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

You-Know-Who wrote:Why wouldn't the Temple be a Dharma station? I mean, if there's a station called the Orchid, there can be a station called the Temple.
It's just that "Temple" alludes to something ancient or... well something John Locke would like. Being a Dharma station is corny and old. "tempest" I can understand, but it's Temple. I can't quite explain it. It's like "Take the people to the barn" and barn refers to the "Barn" Dharma station.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

MekareQ wrote:One more thing....

Did Ben arrange the murder of Karl and Danielle, or was it someone else?
and
So are we not going to get the backstory on Danielle now?

I think we will find out that Frank choppered in Keamy and Omar to track down Ben. Time's ticking and the captain needs to deliver Ben. Though, he says his orders are to fix the engines and head to safer waters. But I think they'd want to nab Ben while they are so close. They might not get a second chance.

I think it's supposed to be a surprise that Alex let's out that she's Ben's daughter. But I can see Ben knowing that if Alex gets into trouble, she'd pull out this ace. And I wouldn't be shocked if we learn that the freighter people already know about Alex. Maybe Ben is using Alex to stall them.

I thought it was strange that Ben would let Danielle go to the Temple. Remember how nice he was all of a sudden. I smell a rat with a receding hairline.

David3

Post by David3 »

Another possible island defense system: the smoke monster.

David3

Post by David3 »

I was a little disappointed that they didn't show us how Michael got back to the mainland and back to the United States. I doubt that little boat could have made it all the way back to the mainland and even if it did, it's not like he could just hop on a plane back to the U.S. It would have went something like: "Passport please?" Michael: "Oh, sorry. I left that on the island that my last plane crashed on.

Savard

Post by Savard »

David3 wrote:I was a little disappointed that they didn't show us how Michael got back to the mainland and back to the United States. I doubt that little boat could have made it all the way back to the mainland and even if it did, it's not like he could just hop on a plane back to the U.S. It would have went something like: "Passport please?" Michael: "Oh, sorry. I left that on the island that my last plane crashed on.
Yeah, right. That is still a *big* question mark that remains. Maybe the Others had someone waiting there who brought them back to the mainland and to the US?

apart from that, great great episode!!! That's what I love so much about lost, the episodes are so unique. You have the love story of sun and jin told in a twisted way, then you have a "sci fi episode" with Desmond travelling through time or the "island story" is told in other episodes. I *really* like this kind of diversity, and this Michael episode was no exception: it explained a lot, and it makes sense! in the "previously on lost" we could clearly see how shocked Walt was when he saw the tied up losties. I had almost forgotten about this, and I definately didn't see Walt hating Michael for that, but it all makes sense. Great!

Oh, and Sayid's behaviour makes perfect sense to me. Michael killed two innocent people to get himself off the island. that alone is a tough thing to excuse. and then he tells Sayid that even today he is still working for Ben! Too much for poor Sayid.

Will be very long five weeks... :(

BTW: did anyone else have a laugh when Michael said "I'll tell you later" and Sayid yells at him "No, we talk about it NOW!". Thought that was funny with C&J making fun of Sayid saying "we'll talk about this later" all the time :P

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

in the "previously on lost" we could clearly see how shocked Walt was when he saw the tied up losties.
Excellent point. Walt may be only 10, but what I never fully realized the first time was that, clearly, he was looking at Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley and thinking, "Why are our friends tied up like that?"...and that probably two minutes after him and Michael were gone he probably said, "Dad, what the hell did you do??"

MekareQ

Post by MekareQ »

I was so overwhelmed by the 'killed Libby and Ana Lucia' thing, that I never even thought about how Walt must have felt about the others tied up and gagged.

I wanted to say one thing about that whole ordeal, if Michael would have come back and come clean, I think the Losties would have been willing to do anything to help get Walt back. I could see Jack letting Ben go, and the team going to the other side of the island willingly.

I wonder if that ever crossed his mind, or tormented him in retrospect.

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

MekareQ wrote:I was so overwhelmed by the 'killed Libby and Ana Lucia' thing, that I never even thought about how Walt must have felt about the others tied up and gagged.
I said something about that in the s2 finale podcast. I always wanted it to sink in for Walt, I expected him to be more concerned.

Of course, knowing what happens to the group, it wasn't so bad that they were captured. At the time it seemed really frightening.

Luberian Lustus

Post by Luberian Lustus »

great episode indeed. my favorite by far this season. so, baccon's still salt? well, good to see tom again.. love his character! funny how he indulges in gay sex when he's off the island. daddy, can you read me a story? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

Luber

itsMrsB

Post by itsMrsB »

You-Know-Who wrote:- I thought that last scene was awesome! It had a really good cliffhanger. Alex said: "My dad doesn't want me to get hurt", Yeah but Karl and Rousseau... not so much. I think it was the Others who were shooting the arrows and I think Ben (showing his knack for letting other forces do the dirty work) communicated with them the same way he communicated with Harper in "The Other Woman". Which way is that? I have no clue.

Now I have to say something... SAYID IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE, HOW CAN HE SELL MICHAEL OUT LIKE THAT!? I KNOW HE KILLED TWO OF THE TALLIES, BUT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE WITH THEM, IT'S NO REASON TO JEOPARDIZE THE ONLY CHANCE THEY HAVE AT STOPPING WIDMORE WHO I BELIEVE WANT'S TO HARM THE ISLAND! I HATE YOU SAYID!!!!..... Whew! Now that that's off my chest...I think that Sayid selling out Michael is the moment Ben refers to in "The Economist" when he said...

"Yes I remember Ben... I sold out Michael, letting Widmore get to the island, and that's why there are people in danger still there, and that's why I'm working with you to kill all of Widmore's people, so I can save my friends."

Perhaps it was a Sayid from the future who left the note under the medical room's door warning present Sayid and Desmond not to trust the doctor. Or, if not Sayid, then at least Desmond.
6 is the new 4

tanner

Post by tanner »

I loved it. My favorite so far this season. Most of my thoughts have already been touched on by others, but I'd just like to say that I thought Karl and Rousseau getting shot was one of the funniest scenes Lost has ever shown. The "next week on Lost" thing from Ji Yeon intentionally led us to believe it would be a main character being killed and I was so engulfed in the episode that I had completely forgotten that someone was supposed to die. Then in the last 5 minutes, all of a sudden, Karl is out of the game. This initially got me laughing due to how anti-climatic it was, but then Rousseau's whole, "I love you, count to three, blah blah blah" speech was so epic, then she takes half a step and also gets shot. It was just hilarious and I love that it will be the freshest scene of Lost in my head for the next month.

And also, sadly, it took me an entire day of thinking after watching the episode to realize that the Michael-Tom confrontation was before Sawyer shot him... I seriously thought he was still alive!

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Ya, maybe the island wouldn't let Tom die either, JK ;-)

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

itsMrsB wrote:
You-Know-Who wrote:- I thought that last scene was awesome! It had a really good cliffhanger. Alex said: "My dad doesn't want me to get hurt", Yeah but Karl and Rousseau... not so much. I think it was the Others who were shooting the arrows and I think Ben (showing his knack for letting other forces do the dirty work) communicated with them the same way he communicated with Harper in "The Other Woman". Which way is that? I have no clue.

Perhaps it was a Sayid from the future who left the note under the medical room's door warning present Sayid and Desmond not to trust the doctor. Or, if not Sayid, then at least Desmond.
I feel like Lost should really try to have some self will power, and try not to use the "future" and time-warping story elements too much, because the more you do it the more you get tangled up in your own paradoxes and the more the audience stops believing/caring what's going on and they tune out. I remember before the kevin johnson episode aired some people were thinking Michael went to the future and and came back to the past and that would explain why walt was bigger, and all kinds of crazy stuff like that. The problem is after The Constant everyones minds were blown and people started thinking all the answers to lost involved time-travel, but the desmond/constant storyline is one thing they're not gonna start pasting it every else, that would get real boring real fast. It's like "Oh, man, what's the answer to this awesome mystery." "Dude, the same as it always is, time-travel." The crappiest answer that can answer everything.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Luberian Lustus wrote:great episode indeed. my favorite by far this season. so, baccon's still salt? well, good to see tom again.. love his character! funny how he indulges in gay sex when he's off the island. daddy, can you read me a story? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

Luber
Luber, I suggest you look at all three posts you've made and I think you'll recognize a pattern.

Return to “4x08: Meet Kevin Johnson”