Is Rousseau Dead? Is so: WTF?

15x16x23x42
muttonboy

Is Rousseau Dead? Is so: WTF?

Post by muttonboy »

I'm really perplexed about this final scene. Ok, so you've killed of Karl, fine. I wasn't waiting for a Karl flashback anyway. But you kill off Rousseau with a silencer in the woods? I mean, come on! I thought the Lost writer's were more creative than that....

Anyway, any thoughts? I assume this was a Ben plan - he did eye Karl's hand on Alex's rump and then say, Hey, why don't you guys head to the Temple? Or could it be the Freightiy guys?

Savard

Re: Is Rousseau Dead? Is so: WTF?

Post by Savard »

I am very sure it's the Others, and Ben is behind it. And I am also pretty sure at least Rousseau will make it. Didn't Damon and Carlton promise us a Rousseau flashback? Would be hard to do with her dead in present time... except maybe they tell her story in an Alex flashback, and Alex will become a bigger part of the show... I wouldn't mind, I think she's hot :)

You-Know-Who

Re: Is Rousseau Dead? If so: WTF?

Post by You-Know-Who »

The Others are the obvious choice, if TPTB want to blow our minds, they should use one of the losties, or one of the freighties, remember Frank took the chopper somewhere and we don't know for what yet... for what it's worth heres picture/clip of the shooter behind the bushes http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2008/03/ ... hooter.php
To me it looks like Miles, or Alpert, or my best bet, Keamy (http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Keamy): that guy who was shooting his gun off the boat in Michael's flashback. Every scene has a purpose, and that one was pretty aimless (no pun intended) which makes me think that it connects to something else. I think Frank took the chopper with Keamy and a few other tough guys on board, and they went to start the war for the island, Frank may or may not be aware of the true reason he's flying to the island.

itsMrsB

Post by itsMrsB »

Seeing as Danielle is by far my favorite female on the show (well, Libby was a co-favorite when she was still on the show... odd she showed up on this episode), I am very unhappy with the way the episode ended. Plus, I have been wanting to see her flashback since season one, and I trusted Darlton when they said we'd get her flashback in season 5. They said something else had to happen before they could show her flashback. Then again, I've been waiting for Libby's story since they promised us that one, and,well...

I found Danielle very out of character in the beginning of the episode. Has she, like Kate, become yet another subservient female to Benjamin Linus? Or, back in the season3 finale, when Ben said he wanted to talk to her about getting Alex off the island, has this trek to the temple been planned? There were many closeups on Rousseau during that scene in Ben's Otherville house. When he first told Alex he wanted to speak to her before she left for the evening; when he told Alex that he wanted her to go to the Temple (Karl's demise was set when Ben told Alex that the temple was not meant for "them" only her); when Rousseau told Alex she agreed with Ben (there were long pauses on her face before and after she said that) and again when Ben said to Alex "your mother will protect you." (kind of like when Jack told Kate Sawyer would protect her when he sent her to Othertown earlier this season.)

As she started to follow Alex and Karl to the doorway, Danielle stopped and really looked at Ben with a very strange, questioning look on her face. Yet, still she went out the door. Was that look a realization that Ben was manipulating her into her death, by calling on her status as Alex's reunited mother to protect her daughter even with her life? Or.. Was he releasing her to finally die - like when Micheal might be released by the Island to finally die. I don't want to believe either of those.

Perhaps Rousseau was looking at Ben to see if the Island or Ben would keep her safe, as well as Alex? Or maybe she was just surprised that he entrusted Alex to her? I wonder if she was wearing any kind of bullet proof vest under her outfit in preparation for this trip - which again assumes she knew that she would at some point be called on to get Alex to safety before the "war" began.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else saw those closeups on Danielle and the looks on her face way back in the beginning of the episode? If so, any ideas what might be going on here?
Spoiler
I heard a rumor that the actor who played Karl needed to be released from the show to star in a play on Broadway. Hopefully there was only one death and it was Karl's
- some good mother/daughter bonding opportunities might be coming up if Alex is indeed pregnant with Karl's baby. Plus, Alex will need someone to rescue her if she is held hostage. Who better than Danielle and her nets? And if Danielle is wounded but still alive, there could be some awesome bonding moments as mother and daughter bond to metaphorically tie Dad up. Rosseau has been on the Island for 16 plus years .. surely the Island will heal her (and Alex nurse her).

Looking forward to your Podcast, guys. Alot of things to discuss about in this episode.
6 is the new 4

tanner

Post by tanner »

If we can ignore how completely absurd the thought of it is, the shooter kinda looks like Taller Ghost Walt... :/

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

itsMrsB wrote: Perhaps Rousseau was looking at Ben to see if the Island or Ben would keep her safe, as well as Alex? Or maybe she was just surprised that he entrusted Alex to her? I wonder if she was wearing any kind of bullet proof vest under her outfit in preparation for this trip - which again assumes she knew that she would at some point be called on to get Alex to safety before the "war" began.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else saw those closeups on Danielle and the looks on her face way back in the beginning of the episode? If so, any ideas what might be going on here?
Where would Rousseau find a bullet proof vest? Charlotte having one is believable since she comes from a Freighter that has guns and lots of equipment, but I find hard to see how Rousseau would get access to a bullet proof vest. Plus you can clearly see a wound when she gets shot.Image

And, yes, I did see the close-ups of Danielle in that scene. I was thinking pretty similarly to you, that she was realizing something sinister was going on. But I like your idea that she was just surprised that Ben entrusted Alex's safety to her ("Your mother will protect you").
Last edited by You-Know-Who on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Coconut shell is quite strong.

itsMrsB

Post by itsMrsB »

You-Know-Who wrote: Where would Rousseau find a bullet proof vest? Charlotte having one is believable since she comes from a Freighter that has guns and lots of equipment, but I find hard to see how Rousseau would get access to a bullet proof vest. Plus you can clearly see a wound when she gets shot.
I hand't seen that picture yet when I originally posted. It clearly shows that she was shot . However I found the following picture on Sledgeweb's site.

and there appears to be no exit wound. For those of you who know about these things, does the fact that the bullet did not go through her make her more likely to survive this? I hope so.

As to bullet proof vests - coconut shells aside <g> - I think that on an island full of hazmat suits to protect against being gassed, it is quite likely that there are bullet proof vests. Granted they probably belonged to the Others or to Dharma, but Danielle is resourceful enough to find them. (I still don't believe she never met any Others in 16 years although I think she believes it). If not finding it on a body of a dead Other or confiscating something in the woods, there is always the chance that she could have found a bullet proof vest on one of the dead drug dealers from the plane that Yemi was on, or others who may have crashed or floated over the island. Perhaps even Naomi left one around. She could have even had some on the boat she arrived on (if they had guns, they could have protective vests.) Rousseau seems to have a number of things she "shouldn't" have - like all that electrical torture stuff she used on Sayid and all those dolls.

But the point is moot, as the pictures does show she was hit. I bring up these options as I believe there is so much more to Rousseaus's story than we now know. I really really hope she iives.
6 is the new 4

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

itsMrsB wrote:
You-Know-Who wrote:

For those of you who know about these things, does the fact that the bullet did not go through her make her more likely to survive this? I hope so.
I watch a lot of ER, so I think I'm qualified to make a medical diagnosis, for a TV character. The biggest problem about getting shot is what the bullet hits when it's inside the body. From the screen cap, it looks like the bullet could have damaged her liver, kidney, intestines, to name a few. And that's if it's not the kind of bullet that fragments on impact, or if it didn't bounce around once inside of her.

But from the movies and TV I've seen, when people get shot (not counting grazed) and they survive, there is usually no exit would, and probably a scene where they take the bullet out. We clearly saw that Karl had an exit would. He's dead. The fact that Danielle didn't (seem to) have one is a good sign.

Her prognosis for being alive is good.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Yeah, I'm not saying she can't be alive. Just that I think if she suddenly popped up and said "don't worry, Alex, I had a bullet-proof vest on!" it would be a REALLY crappy cop-out.

Silentbob

Post by Silentbob »

the thing that the writers have said, and although, i dont really think it's true 100%, they said that characters will not die until they are redeemed.

supporting evidence
Boone - he got over his sister-banging obsession, and was able to let go. then he died.
shannon - she became independent, rather than a mooching little...well...you know...bleh.
anna lucia - she stopped being a killer, and became a good person, because she no longer had it in her to kill ben
eko - had the chance for redemption, but thought that he had done nothing wrong in life
michael - couldn't kill himself, because he was NOT redeemed (claude, your theory makes sense, but i think its kinda shitty to make the others keep conning and conning forever, and the idea that the island wont let him die is really cool, and interesting.)

non-supporting evidence

scott...or steve...or whatever... - dude straight up got killed for no reason...hmm...
ethan - there might be some kind of redemption he experienced, but i dont really remember...
libby - we don't know shit about her! maybe she was redeemed, but we don't know.
pickett, THE SHERIFF, tom, etc... - none of them were redeemed. maybe it doesn't work for the others
nikki and paulo - paulo redeemed himself...i think...nikki...totally didn't...i dont know what the hell to do with them...
roger "workman" linus, and all the dharma people - maybe the redemption process only applys to those who get stranded on the island. or, those who were brought there by the island, rather than themselves. that would single out most of the others and dharma people.
naomi - she was kinda stranded, and kinda came there on her own will...maybe it doesnt apply to her
karl - is he even an other? i dont have a damn clue. i guess it doesnt really matter now. he's dead.

im sure there are plenty more, but i cant think of them now.

its late at night, and im 3 hours jet lagged. i need to sleep.

what i'm trying to get at is, that danielle hasn't quite redeemed herself for killing robert, and her crew. i think she's extremely close, now that she has been re-united with alex, but she's not quite there. the shot from the end of episode eight could have mortally wounded her, but she needs to, in some way, redeemed herself. otherwise, the writers are just fucking with us.

OR...SHE WAS A SACRIFICE THE ISLAND DEMANDED!!!!

time to go to bed...

Silentbob

Post by Silentbob »

oh, and i totally agree about the bullet proof vest cop out. that would suck. mabye, what they will do, is make next episode be a danielle flashback, and she will die as a result of her wound at the end of the episode. like if libby were to have a flashback around the time of "?" (the episode) or how eko was already delirious and about to die in the cost of living.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

If she's dead, then I think in season 5 (as TPTB have said) we will see her backstory, but it will be a "special" episode like "The Other 48 Days". Or maybe there is someone who was very close to Danielle who's alive and still in the story, and we can learn Danielle's backstory from that person's perspective.
I think the latter one is probably more likely IMO, since Darlton said at comicon that something big had to happen in the story before they could have a Danielle flashback since the flashback revealed a lot of things. So maybe it gets revealed that Danille had a big connection the the Others or Natives and we'll see her story from Ben's or Alpert's Perspective.
But I think she's probably not dead.

Return to “4x08: Meet Kevin Johnson”