How did Naomi get to the island?

15x16x23x42
vickih

How did Naomi get to the island?

Post by vickih »

I am confused. I thought Naomi got to the island via a helicopter. but the helicopter crashed in the water after she landed on the island. In this episode we see Naomi getting ready to go to the island but there is only one helicopter on the deck of the ship.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Savard

Re: How did Naomi get to the island?

Post by Savard »

Mmmh... did the Helicopter really crash the first time it went to the Island? I thought so as well, and I wondered if the freighter would really have enought room for two helicopters (and yes it does). But after seeing just one helicopter in the flashback-freighter, I am pretty ure now, the helicopter didn't crash the first time... can anyone confirm this?

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

I assumed they had 2 helicopters... There were 2 helicopter pads.
Although, the little "plop" Naomi's helicopter made never convinced me.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

I think the idea is that the production crew only rented one helicopter. There are supposed to be two, but since the first one crashed (a cgi shot) they only really need to have one. Of course, the one problem with this plan is that one scene where there should be two. I bet they didn't want to rent another choper for just that shot.

Savard

Post by Savard »

Claude wrote:I think the idea is that the production crew only rented one helicopter.
I hope that is not true. I mean what does renting a helicopter for 4 hours cost? That would be the first time, lost would make me really mad! :(

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Savard wrote:
Claude wrote:I think the idea is that the production crew only rented one helicopter.
I hope that is not true. I mean what does renting a helicopter for 4 hours cost? That would be the first time, lost would make me really mad! :(
In my (limited) experience with production rentals, the charge is usually a day rate. This is partially due to the time it takes to, say, get a helicopter to the set. If it took an hour to get the chopper to and from set (probably an underestimate, unless they really fly it in) plus the four hours they might need it, thats 6 hours. There is no way that rental company can rent out that chopper again that day. That's why a day rate is charged. Plus, who knows what might happen on set? They might have delays and need the chopper for 10 hours.

Now, the job of figuring out what props are needed are first addressed by the line producer (if I remember my film studies correctly). They breakdown the script and list every prop in the script. So, if the writers didn't write "two helicopters are on the ladning pad," then here is an early step that could lead to this sort of production flub.

So there are a lot of factors going on. But I could even see them just forgetting. After all, there is only one chopper in the "present." And they were working again the strike in this episode. I'm surprised there isn't more things that stand out.

Savard

Post by Savard »

Okay, I may have underestimated the costs for a helicopter, but I still find it hard to belive the just "forgot". After all they were smart enough to get a freighter that is actually able to support two helicopters. Wouldn't at least the guy that was in charge of findning a suitable freighter remember "oh, weren't there supposed to be be two helicopters there at one point?!". But you're right, shooting a movie or a TV show is very complex. otoh this isn't just a small continuity error, it's a whole helicoper missing!

Maybe a good question to ask at the official podcast, maybe I can play my "overseas viewer card" and they actually pick my question :)

vickih

Post by vickih »

Savard wrote:Okay, I may have underestimated the costs for a helicopter, but I still find it hard to belive the just "forgot". After all they were smart enough to get a freighter that is actually able to support two helicopters. Wouldn't at least the guy that was in charge of findning a suitable freighter remember "oh, weren't there supposed to be be two helicopters there at one point?!". But you're right, shooting a movie or a TV show is very complex. otoh this isn't just a small continuity error, it's a whole helicoper missing!

Maybe a good question to ask at the official podcast, maybe I can play my "overseas viewer card" and they actually pick my question :)

i hope they pick you to ask a question.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

If you look closely in the Constant, when the helicopter lands on a bit of white pad (presumably for helicopters), you can see another white pad exactly the same above. I think your supposed to believe two copters can land on both of them at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQ7y7dv ... re=related

Return to “4x08: Meet Kevin Johnson”