What do you think of "The Shape of Things to Come"

You-Know-Who

What do you think of "The Shape of Things to Come"

Post by You-Know-Who »

Guns! Blood! Tummy aches!
"The Shape of Things to Come" started the second pod of season 4 with a bang. There was a sense of darkness and foreboding running through this episode like a poisonous snake, from the beginning where the corpse of the doctor from the boat washes to the shore, to the end where the losties turn on each other and split into yet another group, the shape of things to come seems to be a war with revenge and guilt mixed in for good measure.

Oh, Ben, you try to convince yourself that Alex doesn't matter to you but your just denying your own feelings. I wonder if Annie met the same fate as Alex? Because Ben just can't seem to put his feelings before his tactics, and it ends up hurting him in the end.

There are so much delicious quotes in this episode I'm sure everyone will be dissecting for the next week. Widmore's "everything you have, you took from me" and Ben's "he changed the rules" are especially interesting.

That last scene totally kicked ass! Why does Widmore think Ben won't find Penelope? Is she hiding and for what reason?

Ben continues to play mindgames in the future making it SEEM like Sayid asked to kill for Ben. It's the classic sawyer-style con.

Did anyone realize the signals Ben was giving to people in the future? When he was checking into the hotel and showed the lady the passport she seemed to understand something. It was like the passport was a sign to not say anything. Same thing near the end of the episode when the doorman seemed to understand something when Ben moved that thing in his hand. I don't know... strange.

Is Sayid gonna kill Penelope? That would be interesting. If penelope does die I can't wait for the Desmond-Ben showdown.

If Dan and Charlotte aren't there for rescue why did they say that in the beginning? For what purpose? I mean, they had to have suspected that the survivors would wonder what was going on sooner or later. were they just buying time so Keamy and co could come shoot everyone or what?

So can Ben control/call the smoke monster from his secret room? is that what we're supposed to believe? I'm confused...

So many questions, so many answers... I can't wait to see what's going on on the boat!

This was a great episode.
Last edited by You-Know-Who on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Site Admin

Re: What do you think of "The Shape of Things to Come"

Post by Stephen »

I don't have much to say. Here's some thoughts...

I really liked this episode. Only when Jack got angry did I realize that he's a one trick pony.

Danielle: Dead
Karl: Dead
Alex: Dead
Nadia: Dead
Smoke monster: Alive
Doctor: Dead but fine.

I was sure Claire was dead but then she just waltzed out.

Shouldn't Ben have put something on his neck? Is he magic and doesn't get sunburns in the desert?

SylviaJi

Post by SylviaJi »

wow!! great episode!

so there's some sort of transporter thing going on? crazy! that would explain the polar bear? finally! looking forward to the podcast!
-------
<3 Sawyer

paul in vegas

Post by paul in vegas »

SylviaJi wrote:wow!! great episode!

so there's some sort of transporter thing going on? crazy! that would explain the polar bear? finally! looking forward to the podcast!

would that mean that the polar bear squeezed through ben's tiny closet?

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

paul in vegas wrote:
SylviaJi wrote:wow!! great episode!

would that mean that the polar bear squeezed through ben's tiny closet?
No, I think what Sylvia is talking about isn't Ben's closet but The Orchid. when we first see Ben in the future he's on the ground, panting, and looking delirious. So, I think some people are thinking that Ben transported straight to the sahara desert.

AND as you can see Ben is wearing a a jacket with a new Dharma logo on it which is all swirly and teleporter like :). In fact The Orchid station orientation video seems to show some kind of teleporting going on (with bunnies albeit). And if you look closer at Ben's jacket you can see the name "Halliwax" which is the name Marvin Candle went by in the Orchid orientation video "Edgar Halliwax".

So it seems like Ben just transported straight from the Orchid station to the sahara desert.

David3

Post by David3 »

I really liked this episode, but as always, I've got several questions.

Has Ben controlled the smoke monster everytime we've seen it?

Do the rest of the Others know about Ben's ability to controll the smoke monster? The controls are in his secret cave inside his secret closet, after all.

What has happened so that Widmore can no longer find the island in the future? His freighter people have already found it once. It almost seemed as if Widmore was under the impression that neither himself nor Ben could find the island, which leads to...

Now that Ben seems to have teleported off of the island, can he not get back to it?

What does Widmore mean by it was his island? Was he behind Dharma?

What does Ben mean by "he changed the rules"? How long has this war between Ben and Widmore been going on? Since the purge?

This flash was about 10 months into the future, what has happened to Penelope is this 10 month period that makes Widmore believe that Ben will never find her?

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now.

Perry

Post by Perry »

All I can think of at the moment is...

...that was a bad-ass Smokey, and I loved it.

Perry

Post by Perry »

Even though you've probably all read it already I'll post this anyway. According to Wikipedia:
One of the Bedouin points out how Ben does not have a trail. The other replies, "Where did this [guy] come from? Down from the sky?"
So it seems they are suggesting some polar bear/orchid bunny stuff is going on. Errr... reaching but maybe he fell off his horse, got knocked out and a sand storm covered his tracks? Sounds boring but then again they do like simple stuff.

redscarf

Post by redscarf »

I really liked this one. Smokey was badass, Ben was badass, Sayid was badass. Hurley was kind of badass too.

This Ben/Widmore business is messing with my head. What are these rules Ben keeps talking about? Widmore said the island was always his and will be his again...something like that. So how long has he known about the island?

Also, when Ben kept mentioning "rules" that made me think of a game. And that made me think of Risk at the beginning of th episode. Where Hurley said "Australia is the key to the whole game". Hmmm.

Luberian Lustus

Post by Luberian Lustus »

Man this ep was great! Well written, they are setting up for a great storyline with the "war", I think. Much happening. So smonkey is Ben's bitch afterall.. Should be a long and interesting podcast.

Locke is useless. Throwing soaps at babies, he has gone too far!

Return to “4x09: The Shape of Things to Come”