Initial reaction?

Stephen
Site Admin

Initial reaction?

Post by Stephen »

Maybe I'm just more astute but normally they reveal something and only then in retrospect does it make sense. But this time I saw Christian in the background in the waiting room in the beginning, picked up that Charlotte knows Korean, picked up in the beginning that it was Kate's house, etc.

I don't think we've met Claire's dad before. And at least we saw Miles use his powers... and confirmed Danielle and Karl are dead.

I liked a lot of the lighting in this episode, like when Jack was outside of the mental hospital and when Sawyer was up on the hill.

You-Know-Who

Re: Initial reaction?

Post by You-Know-Who »

This episode was right in the middle for me. It wasn't nearly as exciting or action packed as last weeks masterpiece, but it moved the story along and had some nice tidbits. It's the same kind of episode as "The Other Woman", or "Ji Yeon, or "Eggtown".

- I thought the beginning of the episode was nicely done. We've seen a lot of episodes start with an eye but we don't usually see from the point of view of that eye.

- Stephen, I also knew it was Kate's house. That Star wars toy was a dead giveaway. I also have to say that Kate was extremely sexy in this episode.

- I think the story that Jack reads to Aaron has a lot significance. Here is the story and what I take it to mean:

"Dear, dear, how queer everything is today"
This could be everything turning upside down and queer and strange when flight 815 crashes. The survivors are on this magical island and every thing's so different then the lives they used to have, all they're old problems back in civilized society have been replaced by a life of survival. Most of these people want to go back home, but do they really... once the oceanic 6 are home they realize that everything is queer again.

"And yesterday things went on just as usual"
Yesterday being the prior life that these people had before they crashed on an island... and/or... Yesterday being the life that these people had on the island before they went back to civilization.

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night?"
The oceanic 6 are realizing that during the time that they had been on the island, during that supposed dark and dangerous "night" they have been changed. That they are better people and they actually had better lives then the ones they left behind when 815 crashed. They realize that everything is queer again, they had gotten used to the island lifestyle and really they miss it and the people they knew.

"Let me think... was I the same when I got up this morning? If i'm not the same the next question is: Who in the world am I?"
These people don't who they are... they're "lost" in their purposeless lives, only when they get lost on an island do they find purpose and heroism. Look at Sawyer for example, he's become such a different and better person than before the island, this episode was a great display of that. Albeit he might be a bit TOO overprotective of Claire but at least he now cares about other people and not just himself. Now that they're rescued they know in their hearts that they have to go back to find out who they're truly are.

"Ah... that's the great puzzle"
Darlton have said constantly that "Lost" is like a huge mosaic puzzle. And that you see only one piece at a time, but when you look back you'll see that that's the way it had to be all along. Darlton have also said that "Destiny" is a big word in this show. The destiny of the Losties is to be on the island and by the oceanic 6 leaving they're finding that out fairly quickly.

- Kate saying "I'm so glad you changed your mind, i'm so glad you're here." is very interesting. Did Jack go over to Lockes side and decide he actually wanted to stay on the island? If so why did he change his mind?

- We now know why Miles went with Sawyer instead of Locke, he had to confirm to us that Rousseau was dead! Was he talking to the bodies/souls of karl and rousseau like he did with Naomi? Or does he know where death has been just by standing in the right location?

- Rose is right this island doesn't make people sick it makes people better. The island must not want Jack to leave it so it makes Jack sick as a sign. Ben was also doing something to displease the island, though i'm not sure what right now. Now, Locke is THE island poster child I mean he got shot and the island/jacob healed him. So I think we get a pretty good idea of what the island wants. I wonder if rose and Bernard are gonna start losing faith in jack because of this... it's gonna be interesting to see where this goes.

- I think the Hurley-Jack scene was the best scene of the episode. It was very intense. And I have to give some props to Jorge because his acting was really good, he was subtle but you could still feel the pain in his face.

- Aaron is shaping up to be very important. What happens in his future will be very interesting...

- Keamy's not dead? What?! That smoke monster didn't do such a good job. Bad smokey! :)
The guy who plays Keamy is a really good actor though, so i'm glad we get to see more of him, but I still find hard to believe that he and a few of his men managed to escape that huge freight train of a smoke monster.

- I have to say that Jack proposing to Kate was one of the strangest "will you marry me?" scenes i've ever scene, but it was also refreshing in it's uniqueness. I'm curious to see how they end up getting from that scene to the final scene of "Through the looking glass".

- Jack just can't let go, he always wants to be in control. You see that when he wants to watch himself being cut up and when he obsessively wants to know where kate was. Jack is the kind of guy who can pull himself into a downward spiral very easily, he always wants something to fix and if there's nothing to fix he'll create problems so he can fix them. That's why the island is so good for Jack, there's always problems and weird stuff going on there so Jack always has something to try to fix and control, when he starts living a normal happy family life with Kate and Aaron he just can't hold it together.

- I love how the smoke alarm goes off, I think that proves once and for all that the smoke monster is indeed made of smoke and not nanobots or some other crazy shit.

- TPTB are driving me crazy with all this christian teasing!! First we see him in that mobisode petting vincent, then we see him rocking in Jacobs cabin, then we see him in jacks flashfoward causing a smoke alarm to go off, then we see him holding Aaron and Claire follows him into the jungle.
I feel like in the next episode we will finally see a lot of Christian. And I'm going to predict it right now: Christian is Jacob.

David3

Post by David3 »

Jack made it sound as if Sawyer had a choice to get off the island and he decided to stay. Does he mean that he because he went with Locke he chose to stay? Or will we see a scene where he has a choice to get off the island or stay and he decides to stay at that point. Is it's the latter, then how many other people have this choice? I can't imagine everyone but six deciding to stay.

vickih

Post by vickih »

i thought that Kate keeping the secret regarding Sawyer was very stupid. She is engaged to jack now and she shouldn't be keeping secrets (especially about Sawyer who Jack already knows that Kate slept with). The Writers did this so Jack would start to act like Jack acted with Sarah (re Sarah and Christian).

David3

Post by David3 »

What I thought was dumb was the fact that, in the flash, they've been off the island for over two and a hlaf years now and Kate is just now getting around to doing Sawyer's favor? I'm guessing the favor had something to do with the girl he had a kid with. Kate knew her, so that would explain the friendliness on the phone call.

radiant_redhead

Post by radiant_redhead »

I felt like there was a lot of confusion going on in my brain during this episode!

The whole thing with Christian Shepherd threw me like crazy! What is going on with this guy? I'm assuming he's an island projection concerning both Jack and Claire...right? What does he want? Where is Claire and why does the supposed island want her?

What is up with Hurley and his scene? They revisited this whole this whole purgatory/heaven idea as far as the Oceanic 6 are concerned...but is Hurley really insane or do his words have some merit? He also resurrected the issue of Aaron being "raised by another"...wtf is going on with him?

ugh...so many Qs...!!!

btw, I love how Jin was so kick-ass in this episode...and so full of sacrificial love...!!!

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Omg how did I forget Christian is Claire's dad? Is that who that was in the forest?

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

Ya, I guess there IS something in this episode that only makes sense to you in retrospect, Stephen. :)

David3

Post by David3 »

Stephen wrote:Omg how did I forget Christian is Claire's dad? Is that who that was in the forest?
Yes.

Return to “4x10: Something Nice Back Home”