The Other 2?

David3

The Other 2?

Post by David3 »

Ever since Eggtown, when we were introduced the the Oceanic 6's story of the crash, I've wondered why the story included two additional people who died after reaching the island. Now, in this past episode that part of the story is brought up again.

First of all, the writers made to mistake. Jack says in this episode that "by the time the current took us in to the island, there were only eight of us left." Seeing that Aaron wasn't born at this time, that would have left three people in addition to Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley, and Sun. During Kate's trial, Jack testifies that Kate tried to save the other two. I'm guessing they want us to think two others survived the crash, and that Aaron is one of the eight that swam to shore, even though he wasn't born yet.

Secondly, why are there two others, and who are they?

The easy answer would be that they felt it would make the story more believable if some were injured enough that they ended up dieing. If this is the case I'd say they would have just names of some people who died on the island. Maybe Boone and Shannon or Nikki and Paolo.

We can rule out four people. Jack says the Marshall died in the crash. Detective "Big Mike" asks Hurley if he met Ana Lucia at the airport, so obviously she's out. Sun says Jin died in the crash. We also know it's not Claire based on the funeral scene with Jack and Claire's mom.

Another possibility is that they had to say certain people died to cover up their story. Penny knows Charlie survived the crash. He spoke to her from the Looking Glass. He mentioned his name and that he was a survivor of 815. They may be worried that she shared this information, and therefore they had to account for him. The problem with that though is if she told anyone, then the world would know that the O6 aren't telling the whole story.

Anyone else have an opinion on the who and why?

vickih

Re: The Other 2?

Post by vickih »

In the Tranmission podcast, that was just released, they tell you of some scenes that were cut. In one of the scenes the mention of the 3 other people who survived where Charlie, Libby and Boone.

David3

Post by David3 »

vickih wrote:In the Tranmission podcast, that was just released, they tell you of some scenes that were cut. In one of the scenes the mention of the 3 other people who survived where Charlie, Libby and Boone.
Maybe they cut that part when they realized that Jack has already said on the show that there were only two other people. I figured use people who actually did die. I guess the only mystery left is the why.

yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Hey guys speaking of the whole Jack's version of the crash -Also interesting on the Transmition podcast - They tell us where the plane went down near Sumba - But later during Kates trial Jack on the stand says that the plane crashed in the South Pacific , So Jack commits purgey on the stand - is that part of the reason Kate jumps up and wants him to stop? - i don't think it was - but Jack sure did make a mistake on sticking to "the story".
Also something i thought was kind of interesting Jack says in the O'6 's press conference that a group of us made it to the emergencey door and got out just as the plane went down - plane doors open in right? or perhaps emergencey doors come right off? - Anyhow if you go to the underwater footage from the remote robots when the plane is discovered (the start of confirmed dead) you can see that the doors at the rear and the front of the plane are still closed- if the water was coming in you couldn't shut the door once opened for that matter why would you shut the doors anyway?

vickih

Post by vickih »

Using people already dead does make sense. I wonder if one of the reason they told the story of extra people is because of the testimony Jack had to say about Kate. How she helped everyone and I think he said she tried to save the lives of the people who died. I guess making her more of a heroin.

vickih

Post by vickih »

yoshi wrote:Hey guys speaking of the whole Jack's version of the crash -Also interesting on the Transmition podcast - They tell us where the plane went down near Sumba - But later during Kates trial Jack on the stand says that the plane crashed in the South Pacific , So Jack commits purgey on the stand - is that part of the reason Kate jumps up and wants him to stop? - i don't think it was - but Jack sure did make a mistake on sticking to "the story".
Also something i thought was kind of interesting Jack says in the O'6 's press conference that a group of us made it to the emergencey door and got out just as the plane went down - plane doors open in right? or perhaps emergencey doors come right off? - Anyhow if you go to the underwater footage from the remote robots when the plane is discovered (the start of confirmed dead) you can see that the doors at the rear and the front of the plane are still closed- if the water was coming in you couldn't shut the door once opened for that matter why would you shut the doors anyway?
I wonder if the press will ever look into this. Some reporter who is very interested in conspiracy theories perhaps. I hope they do something like that. otherwise it would be very disappointing if nothing comes of the lies.

David3

Post by David3 »

There seems to be so many holes in thier story. I find it hard to believe no one would question it.

I think that Oceanic Airlines is defintely part of the cover-up. The hardest part to believe is that the O6 would end up west of Sumba. According to the pilot, they were on course for 6 hours and then turned back for two hours towards Fiji. They should be no where near Sumba. Whoever planted the wreckage there really didn't want people to even come close to accidentely stumbling upon the island. Widmore or Ben plants the plane west of Sumba and the world assumes that the plane tried to head back to Australia after losing contact, eventually crashing northwest of Australia. One day the Oceanic 6 show up somewhere not even close to the crash site, a picture is staged and a story is developed.

Why is Oceanic involved in the cover up? I'm guessing that Widmore plays into that.

One clue why I think the picture may be a hoax is the fact that only only Hurley is wearing the same clothes in the picture that they are now on the most recent episode. It's unlikely that there all going to get a chance to change before leaving the island. In fact, the clothes they are all wearing look very similar to what they were wearing when they originally crashed, but there not the same, just very similar. Jack, Kate, Sayid, and Sun are all wearing dress pants in the picture. Not quite freighter-fighting attire.
Last edited by David3 on Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muttonboy

Post by muttonboy »

I think this should all be lodged in the Lost Complaint Department I started in the general section... ;-) ...(as in: I foresaw this fricken confusion when Jack took the stand in Eggtown!!!) I REALLY hope they explain all this muddleness - for no more reason than if they don't then they (the writers) are nincompoops! It's along the same lines as the 305/325 coordinates. I say, "You're making a lot of moola, your sole focus is on the show - you don't work 9-to-5 and then do your creative stuff on the side, and there are a dozen of you at least working together: inconsistencies are not acceptable!" Agghhhhhhh!!! (Well, maybe next season they'll explain it all and I'll think, "WOW! They confused the shite out of me and then brought it home - brilliant!") BUT: when jack said, "Six of us got off the plane (and Aaron was born on the island) and two died on the island..." I immediately thought: 'WELL, since obviously (as you say in There's No place Like Home P1) the baby was born on the island, then there is one person not accounted for!!' Seems to me the writers - the TEAM of them - goofed on this and are covering their butts. Yeah, I listened to the Transmission, and that cut-scene would help, but it would still feel like a cover-up...I think the only true way out of the numbers mess would be for the writers to blame it on the Jack the character - that HE screwed up in HIS story, which is more realistic that D'arlton making a maths mistake in the Writing Room...

OR...since my creative output is writing (personal and solitary and reflective AND editable) I don't fully understand and appreciate the creative process they are involved in (ie, a pseudo-live TV show on ABC) and maybe the timelines, etc etc, mean some facts get mangled and tangled and LOST through a series of a few episodes.

Hmm.

Err.

Uggh.

Ahhhhh.

vickih

Post by vickih »

from the official lost podcast Darlton said that they are replaying the 1st part of the season finale at 8pm on 5/29. in it they will add extra scenes in the press conference.

You-Know-Who

Post by You-Know-Who »

I wonder which version will be on the dvd. The one that aired last Thursday, or the one that's gonna air with extra press conference questions?

Return to “4x12: There's No Place Like Home, Pt. 1”