compass in the past

Jug-tastic
tybaltthecannibal

compass in the past

Post by tybaltthecannibal »

I'm sure people have pointed this out before now, but I just realized it thinking about all the new time travel stuff. In Cabin Fever Alpert shows John several objects when John is quite young and asks him which object already belongs to him. One of the objects is the compass which does already belongs to John in a way, since John gave Alpert the compass in this last episode. So I guess in the timeline all of this already happened? I just wanted to point this out in case it hadn't been brought up before.

goodfellow408

Re: compass in the past

Post by goodfellow408 »

i think an explanation for this would be that richard doesn't really understand time travel at this point. in young locke's mind, he has never been to the island and has never seen the compass. richard is hoping there's some conciousness that spans the time-continuum, and that locke would somehow supernaturally recognize the compass. but he doesn't, and richard is annoyed that he doesn't completely understand the rules of time travel.

this is why alpert keeps returning to locke's life; he's waiting until locke shows some signs of being "ready."

i was kind of suprised that richard alpert from the 50s doesn't know anything about time travel, and can't believe locke is from the future. he's not so all-knowing as i once believed!!

--josh--

tybaltthecannibal

Post by tybaltthecannibal »

It does seem odd that Alpert doesn't seem to know a bit more about what's going on when he meets John in the past. He seems to have something to tell John at some point later on about how to get the island stabilized. Alpert has been on the island "always" and I sort of assumed that the island has been moved before and he would know what happens to it if it's moved. Although perhaps the island didn't have the strange time stuff happening if it was moved before? Ben said something about the unpredictability of it if I'm remembering correctly, which is why it's used as a last resort. It seems to me that Alpert should have known more even back in the fifties. I just don't know.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

goodfellow408 wrote:
this is why alpert keeps returning to locke's life; he's waiting until locke shows some signs of being "ready."

I like that idea.

Perry

Post by Perry »

goodfellow408 wrote: ...he's not so all-knowing as i once believed!!
Well he kinda is actually. But he wasn't.
tybaltthecannibal wrote:I'm sure people have pointed this out before now, but I just realized it thinking about all the new time travel stuff. In Cabin Fever Alpert shows John several objects when John is quite young and asks him which object already belongs to him. One of the objects is the compass which does already belongs to John in a way, since John gave Alpert the compass in this last episode. So I guess in the timeline all of this already happened? I just wanted to point this out in case it hadn't been brought up before.
I kind of mentioned it within my carry on about compasses. For more on compasses, see the viewtopic.php?f=45&t=291 post. lol.

Return to “5x03: Jughead”