General Reactions

Silentbob

General Reactions

Post by Silentbob »

well, it's just my opinion, but this episode was death. but what could we expect from Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz, who brought us such classics as Fire + Water! Dave! and the riveting, Something Nice Back Home! (in their defense, they did do some good ones. the economist, three minutes...)

there were some parts that i really liked, but the writing seemed jagged and cliche, and something about the cinematography bothered me. i hated the new way they did the white flashes, with the camera shaking and whatnot. we were really spoiled with the greatness of the first three.

i'll be the first to call it, but certainly not the last...i think that "i can't have chocolate before dinner" or whatever shit she said will be some kind of codeword, or significant. otherwise, thats a shitty way to go out. but can't say i'll miss her.

i like that she called daniel a strange, creepy man. im sure that made him feel good.

with all my criticism, the last half of the episode was pretty solid. loved christian. loved elouise, loved charlotte (dying!)

jin was kinda anoying, and i wish we saw more of the french team stuff, or learned about the sickness. the time travel stuff still confuses me, still. are we supposed to believe that danielle doesn't remember jin at all? oh, and how gross was monton's arm? and john's compound fracture?

oh well. better luck next week. i can't wait for claude and justin to complain about the episode as much as i did.

David3

Re: General Reactions

Post by David3 »

Silentbob wrote:well, it's just my opinion, but this episode was death. but what could we expect from Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz, who brought us such classics as Fire + Water! Dave! and the riveting, Something Nice Back Home!

Don't forget "Expose."

I actually really liked "This Place Is Death."

I was glad to see that Jin didn't take part in much of Danielle's story, although I would have liked to have seen more of her story. I thought for sure Jin was going to coin the phrases "others," "dark territory," "security system," etc. I was glad to see they didn't go that route.

Robert called the site of the smoke monster hole, "a temple." Are we to believe that this is the site of "The Temple"? Are we supposed to believe going in the hole caused the sickness? Was Montand alive calling them inside the hole, or was that the smoke monster in the form of Montand.

I can forgive that Danielle doesn't recognize Jin in 2004. She only saw him a brief couple of time in 1988. There's planty of people that I met 16 years ago that I can't remember what they looked like. Were the two of them really even around each other much. In season 1, Jin was gone on the raft by the time Danielle showed up. We she came around in other seasons, he really wasn't involved much.

More later...
Last edited by David3 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

Just briefly, I am not completely sure yet but I think this might be my second favorite episode of Lost ever after 'Through the looking glass', definitely a top 10 all time episode though. This episode for some reason had a season finale feel.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

I laughed and cringed a lot of times in this episode. Like when Charlotte said "THIS PLACE IS DEATH!!" and when Montand lost his arm. Lots of predictability. When Christian showed up I swore it was going to be Richard, so they got me on that one. I was glad to see the Temple. I thought the Danielle jazz was kind of a cop-out. They just showed what we already knew, with a little bit of verification and description. I would have liked to see the radio tower again. I'm glad Jin didn't break the music box.

whir

Post by whir »

The episode was alright. It didn't really go anywhere unpredictable, but it moved along the plot very swiftly and felt satisfying, like we are getting somewhere. I guess one thing this episode did was shut up the people that thought that Rousseau had made up her whole story. I wish we would have learned something new about that incident besides how Smokie was involved. Charlotte was the most obvious candidate to die this week as far as I was concerned. Did they expect anyone to really buy that Ben was going to get shot? I hate it when the teasers tell us that someone is going to die. I think I'm going to stop watching them. I watch the show with friends who say they like the coming attractions, so I'll have to close my eyes, cover my ears and hum.

Perry

Post by Perry »

I hope we see more of the Danielle stuff later on, but when Jin jumped that 1st time to another moment in the Danielle timeline, I cringed. The next time they jumped and he didn't come across Danielle in another situation, I was very glad, as I would be really annoyed if they expected us to believe they would coincidentally jump to the major plot points in Danielle's story.
Perhaps seeing Ben take Alex may be a good scene to see, but I can't see how they can make the scene of changing the distress signal on the radio tower any more interesting than her story describes without adding another dimension to that story. Sure it would be nice to see but probably wouldn't do much to advance the story that much, which is why we only saw the 2 scenes we saw. Montand losing his arm showed us the Temple and more of Smokey, and Rousseau shooting the others didn't do much other than have Jin jump in time once more before meeting back with the Island 6.

It did make it seem like it could have been the monster calling out after it took Montand by the mere fact that he called out "I'm hurt! Help me, please!"
I was like "Of course you're hurt! You just got your arm RIPPED OFF! I think you're a little more than hurt! And don't you think they know that??!!"

Plus even though Claude seemed to think they were trying to tell us that Charlotte was OK now, I think most people didn't feel that it was over and I was pleased that she died, not because I didn't like her, I actually didn't mind her, but because it made the stakes real for them all. Plus after she told Dan that he told her to not come back because she was going to die if she did, it was a sure thing that she would die. So now we need to see Dan trecking into the area of Dharma so that he can infiltrate them and observe the Orchid as well as warn Charlotte.
Last edited by Perry on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David3

Post by David3 »

I thought there was a chance Charlotte wasn't really dead, but rather consciously time traveling.

Well...she's dead.

Rebecca Mader confirms it herself here... http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 0770.story

That leaves just Sawyer, Dan, Juliet, Jin, and Miles on the island. Oh, and Rose and Bernard, wherever the hell they are.

Vince

Post by Vince »

My coworkers finally gave me some good post-LOST talk. They actually pulled me into the ping pong room to do some 'splainin'. Here's what they jogged loose from my brain: When Montand was pulled into The Temple (yes, I'm pretty sure it was specifically referred to as a temple) he was dead. The call for help was The Smoke Monster impersonating/possessing Montand (I hesitate to use the term 'clone'). When the team went in to save him they, too, were possessed/impersonated. (thanks, Jin, for savin' Rousseau & Alex) The possessed/impersonated team, including Robert, betrayed Rousseau.

Cut to Locke & Christian. My theory is that the manifestation of Christian (last night & Cabin Fever) is a impersonation/possession/clone created by or, more likely, via The Smoke Monster. It is then manipulating Locke to its purposes. Poor Locke, once again trusting too much - trusting that this Christian is the shepherd of his destiny when, in reality, the Christian manifestation is just another Anthony Cooper to crush Locke's faith with lies and betrayal. Christian/Smokey tells Locke he has to turn the Frozen Donkey Wheel. Poor, poor Locke - made to be an ass, again. They're gonna make us wait until next season for his ultimate redemption.

What are the motivations of Christian/Smokey? We're led to believe it's a "security system to protect the temple." So, what's in The Temple? How is Locke turning The Frozen Donkey Wheel aiding its purposes? How are purposes and allegiances divided among Christian, Jacob, Ben, Alpert, The Island, Ms. Hawking, Widmore, & of course Vincent?

David3

Post by David3 »

Vince wrote:When the team went in to save him they, too, were possessed/impersonated.
I agree with this. I don't think they were sick, as Danielle thought. I think they weren't her team. They were the smoke monster.

Vince

Post by Vince »

I wanna believe that Ben is "good" but my brain says "don't buy it." Ben's motivations regarding moving The Island are unclear. Locke told Ben that Jacob said "we have to move The Island." Actually, it was Christian who told Locke this. Also, Christian claimed he could speak on Jacob's behalf. Is he to be trusted? Ben could have been acting strictly on "Jacob's" direction or he could have been twisting the message to his own benefit.

Also to be reconciled: Christian to Michael, "You can go now." He left Aaron behind but took Claire. Kate had a dream of Claire saying "Don't bring Aaron back." Only to be awakened by a mysterious backwards phone call claimimng The Island needed them (The Oceanic 6). Charlie appeared to Hurley saying they had to go back. The Ana Lucia apparition seems to be leaning that way, too. Christian appeared to Jack but didn't get to speak (smoke detector went off, though). Ms. Hawking, Ben, & Alpert all seem to think that Locke has to bring The Oceanic 6 back. Charlotte tells Jin not to bring "her" back, suggesting Sun.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Maybe Locke dies off-island after succumbing to the injury he gets this episode. I hope not.

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

David3 wrote:I thought there was a chance Charlotte wasn't really dead, but rather consciously time traveling.

Well...she's dead.

Rebecca Mader confirms it herself here... http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 0770.story

That leaves just Sawyer, Dan, Juliet, Jin, and Miles on the island. Oh, and Rose and Bernard, wherever the hell they are.
What a waste. She never had a chance to use her anthropology skills at the Temple or the Foot.

David3

Post by David3 »

Stephen wrote:
David3 wrote:I thought there was a chance Charlotte wasn't really dead, but rather consciously time traveling.

Well...she's dead.

What a waste. She never had a chance to use her anthropology skills at the Temple or the Foot.
Yeah. She was basically around for a few Korean translations and an occasional "oi."

Savard

Post by Savard »

David3 wrote: I agree with this. I don't think they were sick, as Danielle thought. I think they weren't her team. They were the smoke monster.
And you can shoot the smokemonsters? And then flies start to eat the smokemonster? I highly doubt it. If smokey wanted to get her, it wouldn't have to send these vulnerable and inefficient fakes.

Savard

Post by Savard »

Stephen wrote:Maybe Locke dies off-island after succumbing to the injury he gets this episode. I hope not.
Locke (aka Bentham) commited suicide...

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Savard wrote:
Stephen wrote:Maybe Locke dies off-island after succumbing to the injury he gets this episode. I hope not.
Locke (aka Bentham) commited suicide...
I always thought that was just a rumor.

The newspaper that we can see says nothing about suicide.

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Newspaper_clipping

I wasn't really serious about my theory, but as Claude would say, "i'm dead serious if it turns out to be true".

CorpsesAndChaos

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

i actually didnt mind most of this episode compared to last weeks snoozer. one of the worst things ever though on the show was the wheel bouncing around and how it was filmed. it seriously looked like some Universal Studios garbage youd walk by on some "JUNGLE" ride or some crap. its kind of like when you see the Terminator eyeball surgery scene when youre little and even then you have to tell yourself that it looks like crap. illusion - destroyed.

and what about Jin being right by some new building (presumably the Temple) and he didnt even care. "hmm, doors? pictographs? SCREW IT, IM OUT OF HERE."

i also liked Christian telling Ben "no."

and why was Ben making everyone meet at an f-ing pier if he had to take them 30 minutes to a church? what a stupid plan. :D

Return to “5x05: This Place is Death”