Danielle/Jin Episode History (She has DEFINITELY seen him)

Perry

Danielle/Jin Episode History (She has DEFINITELY seen him)

Post by Perry »

Here is a list of each episode that Danielle was in prior to S5 and what she and Jin were both doing in the episode. Of course she could have seen Jin off camera, but we have to assume not. Did this myself so I've checked with the DVD/BDs to check things that wouldn't be shown in the transcript.

Solitary
Danielle: In her bunker
Jin: Not in episode

Numbers
Danielle: Holds Hurley at gunpoint
Jin: Making raft

Exodus, Part 1
24-25mins into the episode, they are a raft’s length away from each other. Jin is facing the other way pulling up a net. Rousseau waiting around for the group to go to the Black Rock. This would have been the 1st chance for her to see him. Other than this they are separated in this episode, trekking and building.

Exodus, Part 2
Danielle: On Island
Jin: At sea

One of Them
Danielle: Shows Sayid Ben in the net
Jin: Walks by Sawyer looking for the frog

Maternity Leave
Danielle: With Kate & Claire going to medical station

Tricia Tanaka Is Dead
Danielle: Meets group heading to Flame
Jin: Helps fix Dharma van and gets English lessons from Sawyer

Enter 77
Danielle: On Flame expedition
Jin: Finds ping-pong table and then hangs with the ping-pong crew

Par Avion
Danielle: On Barracks expedition
Jin: Helping Claire with the bird trap

The Man from Tallahassee
Danielle: At Barracks

The Brig
Danielle: Collects dynamite from Black Rock
Jin: At camp helping with Naomi

Greatest Hits
This is the episode where Danielle would DEFINITELY have seen Jin directly.
At 00:02:50 on the BD (prob same on DVD), Danielle comes out of the trees to demonstrate how dynamite works (such a waste) and Jin is standing about 5m away from her.
She definitely would have seen him here. So I guess she just doesn't recognise him considering he hasn't aged, or is slightly younger I guess, lol.
Also in this episode:
At the scene starting at 00:20:26, the Losties are discussing about how to deal with the Others' attack and Danielle and Jin are again within a few metres of each other. There are a lot more people around so that she may not have looked at him directly in this scene.
At 33min Rousseau and Jin and within sight of each other and if she looked at him, would be able to recognise him, if she remembered him.

Through the Looking Glass
Danielle: Leads Losties to the Radio Tower
Jin: Stays behind at camp as a shooter

The Beginning of the End
Both groups, Radio and Shooter groups meet at the plane nose section (Scenes start at 00:26:07) and this is another opportunity for her to see him. Though it is dark and there are lots of people and she's probably concentrating on the fact that she has Ben on a leash.

Confirmed Dead
Danielle: With Locke's group on Cabin/Barracks trek

The Economist
Danielle: Barracks fun

Meet Kevin Johnson
Danielle: Rousseau leaves Barracks with Alex and Karl and gets shot

The Shape of Things to Come
Danielle: She's dead
Jin: Does it matter? Danielle is dead.

Something Nice Back Home
Danielle: Still dead
Jin: Finds out that Charlotte speaks Korean, but anyway, Danielle is dead.

And those are all the episodes that Danielle is in before we see them meet in 1988.
So mostly they are not near each other, but in "Greatest Hits", she definitely would have seen him and so it is the case that she just doesn't recognise him after all that time has passed. Can't blame her with everything she went through but he is the man that disappeared in front of her.

whir

Re: Danielle/Jin Episode History (She has DEFINITELY seen him)

Post by whir »

Uh oh spaghetti-o! So let me get this straight. Danielle can recount in specific detail a past incident in which Jin was involved. Yet, she can't remember him. But she is insane right? We all know that Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines insanity as "The state of having total recall of past events, except for disappearing Korean males."

David3

Post by David3 »

I wonder if she thinks Jin is the one that took Alex?

Savard

Post by Savard »

I have no big problem believing in Danielle simply not recognizing Jin. I mean she must be traumatized by the events. And then it's been 16 years or so without her meeting *anyone*, right? And she's seen him only for a few hours, not more. I mean, would you recognize any of the school bus drivers from your childhood after all these years?

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

Perry

Post by Perry »

:S should i b pleased with this approval? lol

CorpsesAndChaos

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

Savard wrote: I mean, would you recognize any of the school bus drivers from your childhood after all these years?
hell yes i could cause they were all characters to me and my friends.
one black biker lady named Queenie.
'Jiffy' George who looked like Mr. McFeely
or the Wrestling dude who would give us WWF tips like 2 weeks in advance cause he must have called some insane hotlines. plus he let us have paper fights every friday. id notce two of the three for sure.

and if Rousseau was REALLY traumatized by the event and didnt have that many eventful things happen since then - wouldnt that amplify the memories as she thought and re-thought about this? you figure if you seen a guy magically disappear, you might remember that for the rest of your life. and the next asian dude you see would trigger something.

whatever, these are total Itchy and Skratchy convention questions.
proceed to the CD-Rom question.

just like the 4,000 mph rocket they launched as the "pay load"

itsMrsB

Post by itsMrsB »

Just like present-day Desmond did not have any memories of present-day Faraday visiting past-Desmond at the Swan station prior to the crash of Flight 815 and telling past Desmond of the urgency of finding his mother to help everyone left behind on the island until the morning after Present-day Faraday told this to past-Desmond (wow, that was confusing to even write. I hope it is clear to everyone who reads it. lol ),the reason 2004-2005 Danielle did not recognize or remember Jin from 1988 was because that version of 1988 had not happened yet. It happens in a future cycle of the drama being played over and over on the island.
6 is the new 4

David3

Post by David3 »

itsMrsB wrote:Just like present-day Desmond did not have any memories of present-day Faraday visiting past-Desmond at the Swan station prior to the crash of Flight 815 and telling past Desmond of the urgency of finding his mother to help everyone left behind on the island until the morning after Present-day Faraday told this to past-Desmond (wow, that was confusing to even write. I hope it is clear to everyone who reads it. lol ),the reason 2004-2005 Danielle did not recognize or remember Jin from 1988 was because that version of 1988 had not happened yet. It happens in a future cycle of the drama being played over and over on the island.
There's two problems...

1. Desmond didn't remember it the morning after "present-day Faraday" told him. He remembered it three years after the helicopter crash. All of the off-island events are taking place three after the on island events we are currently seeing.

One question I have is that when Locke leaves the island, is he only going to go 10 months into the future, as Ben did, or is he magically going to end up three years later, right where we need him.

2. There's been at least two instances where people have knowledge and memories of the time travelers even before the traveler actually made the trip. We have Charlotte's memory of Faraday coming to her as a kid. Faraday hasn't done this yet. We also have Alpert visiting Locke as a kid, long before Locke himself traveled back in time and told Alpert to do it.

As for why Desmond didn't remember for three years...it really doesn't make any sense, yet. Hopefully they'll answer that.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

[quote="David3']
There's two problems...

1. Desmond didn't remember it the morning after "present-day Faraday" told him. He remembered it three years after the helicopter crash. All of the off-island events are taking place three after the on island events we are currently seeing.

One question I have is that when Locke leaves the island, is he only going to go 10 months into the future, as Ben did, or is he magically going to end up three years later, right where we need him.

2. There's been at least two instances where people have knowledge and memories of the time travelers even before the traveler actually made the trip. We have Charlotte's memory of Faraday coming to her as a kid. Faraday hasn't done this yet. We also have Alpert visiting Locke as a kid, long before Locke himself traveled back in time and told Alpert to do it.
[/quote]

I think Locke will end up going closer to the three years in the future time period. I think he needs a bit of time to try and find people, and, of course, die. But I don't think he spent 3 years looking for them.

As for your second point, all of these actions have already happened. The show is using a continuous theory of time. So, Dan has "already" gone back in time to warn little-girl-Charlotte about the island. The proof of this is that she has the memories. Yes, we haven't seen him do it yet. But "yet" has no real meaning when all actions and their consequences are basically instantaneous throughout the entire timeline.

David3

Post by David3 »

Claude wrote:As for your second point, all of these actions have already happened. The show is using a continuous theory of time. So, Dan has "already" gone back in time to warn little-girl-Charlotte about the island. The proof of this is that she has the memories. Yes, we haven't seen him do it yet. But "yet" has no real meaning when all actions and their consequences are basically instantaneous throughout the entire timeline.
I agree completely. My point was that we don't have to wait to see the present time character make that time trip before the people he interacted with will have the memories, because as you said, these events have already happened.

Even before the wheel was turned, Desmond should know about the meeting with Faraday and Charlotte should remember the creepy guy from her childhood. Conviently for the show, neither do until later.

Return to “5x05: This Place is Death”