So Ben killed Locke what are your thoughts?

vickih

So Ben killed Locke what are your thoughts?

Post by vickih »

So Ben killed Locke what do you think about that?

I have listened to a couple of podcasts about this episode. a few people have said that for Locke to be reincarnated Locke could not kill himself and that is why Ben killed Locke. And Ben knew this and that is why Ben stopped Locke from killing himself and Ben killed him instead. Also I watched this episode again and IMO if Ben knew he had to kill Locke so he would be reincarnated I think Ben would have shed a tear or two but I did not see Ben shed a tear.

Also wouldn't that say that it is okay to kill someone in the name of religion? Lost has touched on religion in the series but I think that this is going way too far into a particular religious view while alienating other religions. I don't know if i believe that the producers would do that. I also don't think that is why Ben killed Locke. I think he killed him because Locke knew about Ms. Hawkings. I am not exactly sure why that turned Ben from stopping Locke's suicide to Ben strangling him to death.
Last edited by vickih on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JanicM

Re: So Ben killed Locke what do you think about that?

Post by JanicM »

I think he simply wanted to get an info out of Locke before he killed him. After Locke mentions Ms. Hawkins, Ben even asks him "Are you sure?"

It makes perfect sense imo, it's not the first time Ben is freaking out over Locke being his potential successor. Good for him he only needs his corpse to increase the chance of getting back to the island. I'm curious about Ben's reaction next episode ;)
"Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it."

vickih

Post by vickih »

JanicM wrote:I think he simply wanted to get an info out of Locke before he killed him. After Locke mentions Ms. Hawkins, Ben even asks him "Are you sure?"

It makes perfect sense imo, it's not the first time Ben is freaking out over Locke being his potential successor. Good for him he only needs his corpse to increase the chance of getting back to the island. I'm curious about Ben's reaction next episode ;)

I totally agree with you.

Also i think they say if you are reincarnated you do not remember your past life or lives. So wouldn't that throw out the idea of reincarnation?

whir

Post by whir »

vickih wrote:Also i think they say if you are reincarnated you do not remember your past life or lives. So wouldn't that throw out the idea of reincarnation?
Who said this? Carlton and Damon on their little podcast? If you are just saying that people say this in general, remember that Cuse and Lindelof are the omniscient despots of the Lost universe. They don't care what 'people' think. They make the rules based on their own whims and predilections. They care not about logical, rational thought, at least not the kind that you or I, their mere subjects can fathom.

ash

Re: So Ben killed Locke what are your thoughts?

Post by ash »

I think Ben killed Locke because of his promise to Gin. I haven't heard this theory anywhere but it makes more sense to me. I first read it at the link below, definitely worth a read.

http://www.tvshark.com/read/?art=arc3173

goodfellow408

Post by goodfellow408 »

I just read that theory on the tvshark.com page posted above. I don't really like it because the whole theory is that Ben wanted to make sure Locke kept his promise to Jin. Ummm why would Ben care about Locke keeping his promise?? That's almost absurd to think that Ben would go to any lengths to make sure Locke didn't break his promise. He's shown himself countless times to be a liar and not really care about keeping his "word", let alone someone else's.

I think the obvious answer is the correct one here: Ben needed to know how to get back to the island... He stopped Locke from killing himself to try and get this info, since he knew Locke was fresh off the island and possibly knew a way to get back... Locke told him Mrs Hawking was the key... then Ben had no more use for him.. buh bye Locke! I think Ben is going to be extreeeemely surprised about Locke being alive on the island..

--Josh--

tikkachic

Post by tikkachic »

I think that Ben killed Locke after he heard about Ms. Hawking because this was one of the pieces of information he needed in his BenQuest to get back on the island. He then went to Ms. Hawking and made a deal with her. He'd get everyone together and in return, he would be allowed to go back to the island as Locke's proxy. Locke returning as Christian's proxy, of course. And Sayid as Kate's. And Hurley as Charlie's. And Kate as Claire's (because she surely is "preggers" after her pity sex with Jack the night before). I think Jack is his own proxy (a sober version).

Return to “5x07: The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham”