Time Travel

David3

Time Travel

Post by David3 »

Here's my take on the time travel discussion you guys had towards the end of the podcast.

What ever happened, happened and paradoxes can't go together. The way that LOST is telling the story, paradoxes just aren't possible.

Using the "Sayid the Decapitator" example. Sayid has the full ability to cut off Ben's head and kill him, but we know by Ben's existance in 2007, Sayid won't do this. He could get all the way to the point that he's holding a knife or sword coming downward at his next and something would happen. The thing is, fate or magic WOULDN'T intervene and stop Sayid keeping intact the future, we just know that something must of stopped him because Ben is alive. We know that he will fail. He doesn't fail because he has to, Ben exists in the future because he failed.

I guess the thing to realize is that its not that Sayid can't kill Ben, its that he won't kill Ben. They have the ability to kill whoever they want, we just know certain characters they won't kill, i.e. Ben, Ethan, Horace, Richard, Charlotte.

The future can be affected by attempts at changing the future. There attempts at changing the future could've possible helped shape the future they know. This is probably the case with Ben. Sayid shot Ben to prevent him from being alive in the future. This probably helped turn Ben into the man he is in 2007. If Sayid had instead just run away, Ben would have never been shot and the future as they know it could have been much different. But it's too late for that now (...even though we're in the beginning).

vickih

Re: Time Travel

Post by vickih »

David3 wrote:Here's my take on the time travel discussion you guys had towards the end of the podcast.

What ever happened, happened and paradoxes can't go together. The way that LOST is telling the story, paradoxes just aren't possible.

Using the "Sayid the Decapitator" example. Sayid has the full ability to cut off Ben's head and kill him, but we know by Ben's existance in 2007, Sayid won't do this. He could get all the way to the point that he's holding a knife or sword coming downward at his next and something would happen. The thing is, fate or magic WOULDN'T intervene and stop Sayid keeping intact the future, we just know that something must of stopped him because Ben is alive. We know that he will fail. He doesn't fail because he has to, Ben exists in the future because he failed.

I guess the thing to realize is that its not that Sayid can't kill Ben, its that he won't kill Ben. They have the ability to kill whoever they want, we just know certain characters they won't kill, i.e. Ben, Ethan, Horace, Richard, Charlotte.

The future can be affected by attempts at changing the future. There attempts at changing the future could've possible helped shape the future they know. This is probably the case with Ben. Sayid shot Ben to prevent him from being alive in the future. This probably helped turn Ben into the man he is in 2007. If Sayid had instead just run away, Ben would have never been shot and the future as they know it could have been much different. But it's too late for that now (...even though we're in the beginning).

I agree.
But maybe the Island will have something to do with attempts to change the future...

Perry

Re: Time Travel

Post by Perry »

David3 wrote: There attempts at changing the future could've possible helped shape the future they know. This is probably the case with Ben. Sayid shot Ben to prevent him from being alive in the future. This probably helped turn Ben into the man he is in 2007. If Sayid had instead just run away, Ben would have never been shot and the future as they know it could have been much different. But it's too late for that now (...even though we're in the beginning).
I'm sorry to tell you that that is a paradox.

Return to “Podcast #59”