General reactions?

Stephen
Site Admin

General reactions?

Post by Stephen »

Bravo, Desmond for kicking Ben's ass. Also, Alex.

420brownie

Re: General reactions?

Post by 420brownie »

My favorite episode of the year, and one of my favorites of the series. Awesome character interactions and awesome mythology wrapped into one episode. Ben-centric also makes it tough to beat. Also, for the first time maybe ever, I was loving Locke.

Interesting new arc with Ilena and her crew. My money is on them being Widmore's folks. I wonder if this is the first hint of the war to come?

Ahh, the scene with Ben and Alex was just awesome. The whole scene was dripping in mythology. I want to see the damn Temple though. What we did get to see was great though. Anibus and smokey. Interesting pair.

Jen

Post by Jen »

You know, they pulled another fake revelation with the beginning here-- "I'm Charles, Charles Widmore." Only the most oblivious fan would not have guessed it was him at least as soon as he opened him mouth and released a british accent.
Also, this is the pinnacle of Ben's lying career. My god. Really. Lying left and right. Although I guess it is also his truth telling pinnacle, since he tells so many conflicting things to different people, inevitably he told someone something that was true, which may be unprecedented. ben is a taint.
A-
And Ethan??? Come on.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

I liked it but I still think This Place is Death is the best episode of the season.

Jen

Post by Jen »

I really liked the episode, but I have to point out another couple of groaners: ben's line to danielle about the whispers, and my god, that terrible, terrible smoke monster scene.

But seriously, folks, why is it that the/a place to summon the smoke monster is under a Dharma house, even tho the monster comes out from under the temple, and the whole thing seems to have more to do with the others than with Dharma??

tikkachic

Post by tikkachic »

I agree there were some really *ugh* lines, *duh* moments and bad wigs in this episode, but I liked it. I've been waiting for Locke to return to Season 1 form and it looks like dying did it for him. I did find myself wondering why Sun just seemed to be tagging along with Ben and John while Frank got stomped on.

tikkachic

Post by tikkachic »

I have a feeling that the secret door was just an access point to the CV vent. Maybe the "clever fellow" was responsible for that.

JanicM

Post by JanicM »

Jen wrote:that terrible, terrible smoke monster scene.
If you mean the cheesy looking CG I have to agree. Ben's conversation with "Alex" and the music made up for it though imo, definitely my favourite theme.

Btw, did anyone actually consider for a second that smokey would 've killed Ben? Like Darlton are gonna kill off their favourite this early ;)
"Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it."

Perry

Post by Perry »

Jen wrote:I really liked the episode, but I have to point out another couple of groaners: ben's line to danielle about the whispers, and my god, that terrible, terrible smoke monster scene.

But seriously, folks, why is it that the/a place to summon the smoke monster is under a Dharma house, even tho the monster comes out from under the temple, and the whole thing seems to have more to do with the others than with Dharma??
For some reason i had a feeling we were gonna get a scene where Ben walks over to a sound system to turn on the whispers, lol.

And apart from the slightly awkward cg scenes integrated into the smoke, i liked the scene. n even though i knew Ben wasn"t gonna die, i thought it wouldve been cool if after the "relief" of Ben not being killed and Smokey leaving, Smokey as Alex grabs and shoves him, as she/it actually does, and keeps slamming him into the walls of the temple like it did with eko.

well bens' house summoning point is to summon it to there, wouldnt be good if you wanted smokey at the barracks so you had to travel to the temple to explain that you needed it at the barracks. im sure there'd be multiple summoning points around the island. dunno if we know whos house that was , but i would have a guess that it was pierre's house. thought it was strange though that ben spoke to it. i hope the main thing that gets smokey there is the toilet flush, even if it didnt seem to work.

Perry

Post by Perry »

I also thought it was strange that we saw Ben knock down the dancing ballerina but not step on it. They really seem to be toying with us if we wanted to know how/when the music box was broken. That's the 2nd time theyve done it, with Jin seeing it when he was at her camp.

I also thought it was a bit contrived that the line at the start of the scene was "Shut up!... and stay here, Ethan". I know it's only minor, but it's annoying that just to get him to say "Ethan" last, they structured the phrase this way. It should have been either "Ethan! Shut up!...and stay here" or Shut up Ethan!... and stay here". Doesn't sound natural the way they did it.
Wonder if that bothered Claude, I don't think Justin would've noticed, lol.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Perry wrote: I also thought it was a bit contrived that the line at the start of the scene was "Shut up!... and stay here, Ethan". I know it's only minor, but it's annoying that just to get him to say "Ethan" last, they structured the phrase this way. It should have been either "Ethan! Shut up!...and stay here" or Shut up Ethan!... and stay here". Doesn't sound natural the way they did it.
Wonder if that bothered Claude, I don't think Justin would've noticed, lol.
I did notice how they phrased that. I wasn't bother by it for a few reasons. First, I assumed it was Ethan as soon as I saw a youngish Ben with a boy. So I knew they were probably going to reveal who the boy was through dialogue. That coupled with the fact that characters in TV/film always overuse people's names when they talk to them, and it was no big deal for me.

But I do wish they writers would believe that it's okay to have a line like that be "Ethan, shut up." Maybe they're worried we might miss what comes after the name reveal since we're surprised by the reveal itself. But I think we could handle it :P

Perry

Post by Perry »

yeh i knew it was ethan, but yeh i think it's just another example where they're trying to drag out reveals, although this one is minor, and i get annoyed when they try em.
stupid fevellations.

Return to “5x12: Dead Is Dead”