This whole Cabin business.

Discuss the show...
userpjx

This whole Cabin business.

Post by userpjx »

First of all, Christian is Smokey. Every time we see him after he arrives on the island, it is really Smokey in his form just like every other resurrected body on the island.

Here's how it goes down, chronologically:
  • Initially Jacob lived in the Foot.
    Horace built the Cabin.
    The Purge happens and Horace bites it.
    Jacob moves into the cabin. He puts ash around it to keep Smokey out.
    Somebody breaks the circle of ash. Jacob leaves the piece of tapestry on the wall of the Cabin to tell people he's going to the Foot again.
    Smokey inhabits the Cabin.
    Ben somehow learns that Jacob lived at the cabin but no longer does.
    Ben brings Locke to the Cabin.
    Smokey fucks with them, freaking Ben out telling Locke to help him. Ben interprets this as Jacob talking to Locke.
    Hurley sees the Cabin with Smokey (Christian) inside. The other eye Hurley sees could be Smokey as well or another guy.
    Smokey somehow moves the Cabin to screw with Locke. Because Smokey is a dick.
    Locke, Ben and Hurley look for the Cabin. Locke gets the blueprints from Horace's body.
    While following the map's directions, Hurley finds the cabin.
    Locke enters the Cabin to talk to Smokey (Christian), who is in the company of Claire.
    Illana comes to the island and burns the fucking thing down. RIP Cabin.

Justin
Site Admin

Re: This whole Cabin business.

Post by Justin »

My problems with this story:

1. Even though smokey can have the memories of those he imitates, I don't think he shares their motivations. The smokey version of Locke is different from Locke, and probably wouldn't care about resolving Locke's daddy issues, or proving his worth to "the island".

2. Christian was holding Aaron by the fire. I don't see smokey doing that. Christian was also hanging out with Claire in the cabin, I also don't see smokey doing that.
And then there's "say hello to my son".

3. As you pointed out, Christian was in the cabin with someone else. They shouldn't both be smokey.

4. The Jacob apparition that Hurley saw was definitely not smokey. So every apparition is not smokey. On the other hand, Christian does seem different since everyone can see him
apparently.

None of this means you are wrong, I'm just not quite ready to believe it yet.

userpjx

Post by userpjx »

I agree that Smokey doesn't share motivations with the people he impersonates, but if he wanted to get Claire to follow him into the jungle, then playing the part of her father would make a lot of sense.

As for "Say hello to my son" we know that Smokey wants the Oceanic 6 to come back and a surefire way of getting Jack to come back would be to tell him that his father is alive and well on the island, especially considering the unresolved daddy issues. While it is true that it is possible that Christian would have said it as well, is there any reason that in all the time that Jack was on the island that Christian would not have went up to Jack and apologized for all the stuff they went through? He can appear to Claire when he felt like it, why not Jack?

Furthermore, the way in which Yemi, Christian and Locke get to the island is very similar and both Yemi and Locke are clearly impersonated by Smokie,
so it would follow that Christian too was impersonated.

On a slightly seperate note, I agree that not every dead person we see is Smokey but only in the sense that we see the dead person through the eyes of Hurley (eg. Ana Lucia, Jacob and Charlie). I also agree that it's likely that the second person that Hurley sees in the Cabin (the eye) could be a separate entity from whatever Christian is, but we really can't be sure at this point considering we have no true sense what Smokey's powers really are.

Vince

Post by Vince »

The thing I'm stuck on is the French team.

Smokey seems to operate two different ways: possession and impersonation. So last week it was confirmed that Smokey/Bob Loophole is impersonating Locke, ie. he's a doppleganger and not inhabiting the original corpse of Locke. When Bram shoots him the bullets have no effect, blunted or whatever is the specific he marvels at before gettin' killed.

When Rousseau's team was lured into The Temple it seems that Smokey actually took possession of their bodies then paraded them around to fool Rousseau. As we saw, she was successful in shooting all of them dead. We never saw any type of Smokey spirit leaving the body (like we have in other similar TV/film situations).

So what's The Rules of operation here? Possession or Impersonation? Why and when? Which were Yemi? Kate's horse? Christian? Walr? etc? They got some explainin' to do, dammit!

Important question: Was the ash there to keep Smokey in or out of the cabin?

(ps - I still hope the person whose eye we saw in the cabin with "Jacob" was Mikhail)

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

Justin wrote:My problems with this story:

1. Even though smokey can have the memories of those he imitates, I don't think he shares their motivations. The smokey version of Locke is different from Locke, and probably wouldn't care about resolving Locke's daddy issues, or proving his worth to "the island".

2. Christian was holding Aaron by the fire. I don't see smokey doing that. Christian was also hanging out with Claire in the cabin, I also don't see smokey doing that.
And then there's "say hello to my son".

3. As you pointed out, Christian was in the cabin with someone else. They shouldn't both be smokey.

4. The Jacob apparition that Hurley saw was definitely not smokey. So every apparition is not smokey. On the other hand, Christian does seem different since everyone can see him
apparently.

None of this means you are wrong, I'm just not quite ready to believe it yet.
Wrong wrong wrong.

Return to “About Lost”