Question about Jack & his pain med.prescription S3 ending

Discuss the show...
vickih

Question about Jack & his pain med.prescription S3 ending

Post by vickih »

didn't jack have a prescription from his father for pain meds. does anyone know, if you are a doctor and die, can a prescription still be used when you have been dead for several years? Dr. Shepherd would have been dead for several years when Jack gets the medicine. :o
Anyone know the answer to this? With computers all pharmacies are up to date..i think :?:

Thanks.

Stephen
Site Admin

Re: Question about Jack & his pain med. prescription S3 ending

Post by Stephen »

Most prescriptions I've had expire 30-90 days after written.

Anyway, the way I interpreted that scene was that Jack used Christian's old prescription pad to write himself a prescription.

vickih

Re: Question about Jack & his pain med. prescription S3 ending

Post by vickih »

Stephen wrote:Most prescriptions I've had expire 30-90 days after written.

Anyway, the way I interpreted that scene was that Jack used Christian's old prescription pad to write himself a prescription.
me too i agree that he used Christian's pad. but can a pharmacy know that a doctor is dead? can people use dead doctors prescriptions pads to fill prescriptions? i am confused.

Perry

Re: Question about Jack & his pain med.prescription S3 ending

Post by Perry »

Well I can't say for 100% certainty about the pharmacy system in the U.S., but in Australia, at least, you could get away with it, if the pharmacy didn't think it was forged, and didn't need to contact the doctor, like the pharmacy assistant told Jack she would need to. However this would definitely not happen even if Jack had done everything perfectly on the script (pharmacies are very picky for controlled drugs) and there is no way it wouldn't be checked considering the way Jack was acting.
Each doctor has their own prescriber number which the pharmacist enters into the computer with each script, but there is no "global" system where come government branch would tick a check box when each doctor dies and somehow tells every pharmacy that they are dead.
Also the drug Jack is trying to get, oxycodone, is a controlled drug and would be kept in the safe, and also all his repeats for it would be kept at the pharmacy unlike other drugs where you take your repeats with you. Also for repeats for this medication you need to get an Authority number from the government if you want to get repeats on it, or can get it without the number if you get it without repeats. You would think Jack would know this.
However all this is based on the Australian system so I can't say that it would be the same in the US, but I imagine it would be with this sort of drug.
Who knows since in America everyone seems to have a gun.

Return to “About Lost”