General reactions

TheRadioTower

General reactions

Post by TheRadioTower »

What were your general reactions on the episode? For me this was an average episode. No way near as good as the premiere. The LA x reality was surprisingly engaging. The stuff at the temple felt a bit forced. I'm excited to see the new and improved badass Claire

David3

Re: General reactions

Post by David3 »

B-/C+ range

Off Island - I was just left wondering what the point of it all was. It's sort of mirroring season 1 on island, but I want more of a story. I want to know that this is going somewhere and isn't just a series of alternate stories with cameos from dead and island people.

On Island - Now Sayid is going to turn dark? Now? How does he get any darker? It looks like Claire did die and experienced a similar ressurection to Sayid. Does that give us more info as to who Christian is with? This also gives more information for what happened to the French team. Is there any saving Claire or Sayid?

userpjx

Post by userpjx »

I thought most of the flash-sideways stuff was kinda not very interesting. Seeing Ethan was definitely the highlight. I hope that all of this actually pays off somehow.

I actually enjoyed the on island stuff. Josh Holloway and Micheal Giacchino really owned this episode, however I also enjoyed the Jack stuff in the temple. Seeing Claire as well as Aldo again was a treat.

The episode was kind of odd in the sense that it was a Kate episode technically but it got kind of hijacked for Sawyer and Claire. Odd.

Claude
Site Admin

Post by Claude »

Yeah this ep wasn't a bang like the premier, but that's understandable. The off island stuff was so much more "normal" than it seemed from the premier. I have to watch the ep again but I'd say 3.5/5 stars.

Userpjx, I don't think Sawyer and Claire hijacked Kate's episode. It's just that this ep was about how Kate relates to Claire and Sawyer: the reason she came back to the island, and the reason she "took"
Aaron.

I'm serious, Josh Holloway needs an Emmy. He's always been great. But man has he kicked it up to 11.

TheRadioTower

Post by TheRadioTower »

Claude wrote:
I'm serious, Josh Holloway needs an Emmy. He's always been great. But man has he kicked it up to 11.
Unforutnately, Josh Holloway might be one of those actors who is discounted from awards due to his good looks. It's easy to dismiss a good looking actor/actress and not take them seriously. Same thing happened with Tricia Helfer in BSG who never got the credit she deserved primarily due to the fact that people discounted her performances due her being hot.

userpjx

Post by userpjx »

Claude wrote: Userpjx, I don't think Sawyer and Claire hijacked Kate's episode. It's just that this ep was about how Kate relates to Claire and Sawyer: the reason she came back to the island, and the reason she "took" Aaron.
I just feel we got a lot more development to Sawyer's character than Kate's. It is kind of understandable at this point though, he just has more interesting stuff going on right now. I guess she does try to 'pick' Sawyer in this episode and he shuts her down. There is that.
Yeah, that scene where he throws the ring into the water is pretty killer. Hat's off to him.

CorpsesAndChaos

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

i hated most of it on the first watch.
it went from really quality writing in the premiere to just corny Nintendo / single issue Comic Book objectives for typical TV. the dialog in the beginning to establish motives was so corny. Aldo was just way over the top Dr. Jock-o-Rama. his only quality line was "where's the bitch" when referring to Kate.

after a second watch it was a little more tolerable to retroactively focus on things.
what is Dogen's whistle/vial thing on his neck? he clutches it as if it has some significance. who knows for now.

hopefully a majority of the season isnt like this one until their grand finale.

also, a lot of the philosophy of this show is just straight up corny.

David3

Post by David3 »

I read before the season started that this episode would be by far the worst of the season. Next weeks is supposed to be one of the best.

Jen

Post by Jen »

It's nice to see that the forum continues to be active even when I'm in grad school

Return to “6x03: What Kate Does”