Miles' Power

David3

Miles' Power

Post by David3 »

I really wish they'd make up their mind on what they want Miles' power to be. Everytime they bring up his power, it has hanged. Here are all the different versions.

He could communicate with a dead person with the presence of abody or ashes, but neededa vacuum cleaner (lady's grandson).

He could only communicate if the physical body was present (man's son).

He could read minds even if they are alive (Michael).

He could only hear their last thoughts, and only if a body was present (Naomi, Naomi's test, soldiers in 54, Nikki and Paulo, Danielle).

He could only hear their last thoughts, with a body or ashes (Jacob).

Which is it?

Claude
Site Admin

Re: Miles' Power

Post by Claude »

I'd say they are fairly consistent. I would group them as follows...

This was the first example of his power, and I think they changed what they wanted it to be:
He could communicate with a dead person with the presence of abody or ashes, but needed a vacuum cleaner (lady's grandson).

These are all the same to me. He can hear their last thoughts IF a body or remains is present:
He could only communicate if the physical body was present (man's son). ****
He could only hear their last thoughts, and only if a body was present (Naomi, Naomi's test, soldiers in 54, Nikki and Paulo, Danielle).
He could only hear their last thoughts, with a body or ashes (Jacob).

This one makes no sense. I'm pretending it never happend:
He could read minds even if they are alive (Michael).

*** I think even if the man's son's body was present, Miles would only be able to hear his last thoughts. He would probably not have been able to tell the father what the wanted to know.

whir

Post by whir »

I used to think that maybe he needed that vacuum cleaner device to generate a magnetic field to facilitate his powers. He wouldn't need one on the Island because of it's inherent magnetic properties. However, when we see him as a child he doesn't seem to need any sort of device. Oh well...

David3

Post by David3 »

I guess what bugged me is that he told the man that he could not communicate with his son because there was no body, only ashes. Now he is able to use ashes.

userpjx

Post by userpjx »

To be fair, the man's son's ashes were scattered in the wind. They weren't all in one place like Jacob's were.

I'd be willing to say that since the beginning of season 5 they've been consistent enough.

David3

Post by David3 »

I can buy that.

Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

I'm assuming that MIles didn't read MIchael's mind, but just used intuition.

Perry

Post by Perry »

Justin wrote:I'm assuming that MIles didn't read MIchael's mind, but just used intuition.
I thought this was clear too.
userpjx wrote:To be fair, the man's son's ashes were scattered in the wind. They weren't all in one place like Jacob's were.
Scattered eh? Ilana picked up maybe 5% of Jacob from that pit, and that's being generous. As well as this, there would've been a lot of wood or whatever else was in there before Jacob was kicked in.

Perhaps an easy answer is that the more of the remains that Miles has with him, the more information he can find out.

Perry

Post by Perry »

Another thing to do with Miles: I thought they were going to say that Miles always knew Sayid wasn't dead after the spring dumping because they had the camera hold on his face as he looked over Sayid's body. Guess it was probably the editing that conflicted with the writing because later on we hear Miles say that he was dead.

CorpsesAndChaos

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

its all of the above.
its magic. its fake. its a comic book/graphic novel made for TV.
i dont think the world of LOST is being constructed with as much detail and Rules as we think. its open to fluidity and flux to get their so-so story told.

side note: its funny how people are saying theres too much "magic" around the show now but we could run down numerous "magical" / "non-scientific" (whatever the hell that means) events or actions in the show from the very opening scene.

whir

Post by whir »

Thank you for setting us straight, C&C. I forgot it was okay to try and process the show. Although you are probably more right than some people will admit. I will be disappointed if the answer to everything is 'Jacob did it'.

Perry

Post by Perry »

I thought I've told you guys to just ignore Chaos' comments. lol. He's like the evil side of the scale, needing to oppose everyone else. The AntiLLDer.

Return to “6x07: Dr. Linus”