Assorted Thoughts

Vince

Assorted Thoughts

Post by Vince »

Terry O'Quinn might have to get another Emmy. This character and performance are developing fascinatingly. He has the ability to come off as knowledgable, humble, forthright, genuine, vulnerable, compassionate, and consummate. He's really starting to seduce me!! In the same episode he shows weakness in the form of frustration at being interrupted by Sawyer and brutality in hitting Claire in front of his new followers (of course, who wouldn't want to hit Claire?). I still think he's going to be a "bad" guy, though, based on the writer(s)/director's portrayal of the latter instances.

I hate that they're steering Sawyer back to Kate. REALLY, LOST? I liked this episode until the last act when the loss of Charlotte turned into Sawyer's chance meeting of Kate. What should have happened is that, as he dejectedly left Charlotte's apartment he meets Juliet, they hit it off, and she offers to go dutch on some coffee. Instead we got Kate...running...wow. I mean, 'boo.' Then, in the main timeline, because of a dress Kate wore ages ago, he's ready to escape The Island drama with Freckles and, apparently, no one else. REALLY?!

I hope they're simply suspending redemption for dramatic effect. I feel pretty confident that the characters' choices in the main timeline mirror (yes, mirror) their fates in the flash-sideways. Anyone on Team Smokey will meet an unhappy fate - Sayid loses Nadia, Sawyer doesn't resolve his feelings about The Real Sawyer, Kate keeps running (barf). Those on Team Jacob will work out - Jack ends the Shephard-father curse, Locke (though dead, technically in the spirit of Jacob and The Island) comes to terms with his disability and gets Helen, Hurley's the luckiest man alive. I don't think the sides have been set in stone. There will changes. Once we know for certain how things end for a character in one existence we'll know which way they're gonna go in the other.

So, how does Smokey plan to get that plane to take off? And, if Widmore isn't on Team Smokey does that mean he's on Team Jacob? Could he just be Team Widmore? Also, my new crazy theory: Adam and Eve are...(wait for it)...Zach & Emma! Discuss :)
Last edited by Vince on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRadioTower

Re: Assorted Thoughts

Post by TheRadioTower »

I didn't get an indication that they're trying to get Sawyer & Kate back together. I don't think Sawyer meant that he wants to escape just with Kate, he wants everyone to leave since he promised jin earlier in the episode. If Kate & Sawyer were to get back together the show would have moved their relationship forward a lot more in this episode since neither Kate nor Sawyer are presumably getting another episode focused on them. I think all the characters in the sideways reality are going to start converging towards the same place pretty soon, I predict they will all come together at Locke's wedding where something significant would happen.

By the way, Charlotte looked absolutely stunning in the flashsideways.

David3

Post by David3 »

I'll give 'Recon' a B-. I agree that Terry O'Quinn is doing an excellent job this season.

Perry

Post by Perry »

TheRadioTower wrote:I didn't get an indication that they're trying to get Sawyer & Kate back together.
Me either. Think they couldn't do it anyway after Juliet. (ie. the writers couldn't. That could be taken awkwardly)

Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

Assorted thought: I got home at 9:20 last night and don't have a DVR or any other such fancy techno-logy. I loosely paid attention to the final 40 minutes and was 100x more confused than usual. I'll have to check it out online this weekend.

David3

Post by David3 »

I'm not sure how I ever survived without a DVR.

420brownie

Post by 420brownie »

David3 wrote:I'm not sure how I ever survived without a DVR.
Same here, but even DVR has let me down- season 5 premiere, I'm lookin' at you!

Probably my least favorite episode of the season. I liked Sawyer's and Miles' alt-time lives as cops, didn't see that coming. I even liked Charlotte's role, hot, hot, hot. Damn, Charlotte, who knew? By the way, totally think she was looking for something about the real Sawyer- she seemed to be looking through Sawyer's stuff with a purpose.

The on-island bits were pretty bland though. Got a couple of confirmations on things we either knew or thought we knew.

I thought Sawyer's and Widmore's little chat was interesting. Don't trust Widmore to this day, but I really am on board with him being on Jacob's side. No idea what is behind the locked door. Liked the portable sonic boom fence. That's handy. Kinda reminds me of something you'd see in one of those airline "store" magazines..."now available in a convenenient portable model- take it anywhere you go!"

Oh, and what is up with Widmore's crew? What did he hire, the geek squad?? Those dudes looked like they came straight from a Best Buy employee lounge. Too funny.

David3

Post by David3 »

420brownie wrote:Oh, and what is up with Widmore's crew? What did he hire, the geek squad?? Those dudes looked like they came straight from a Best Buy employee lounge. Too funny.
I thought the same thing. You go from a guy like Keamy, to these guys?

CorpsesAndChaos

Post by CorpsesAndChaos »

the whole idea of "EXTRA-DIMENSIONAL Balance/KARMA" is pretty lame. its just an absolutely ridiculous idea. i dont care about anthropomorphic idea of redemption or 'balance'. "oh, cosmic archetype Sayid is inherently a killer in each timeline. Tabloids make up star charts to see where serial killers come from too." even the nature/nurture duality theyre playing is archaic and cornball. but its TV. ('THEYRE GENIUSES!!')

that aside, i thought this episode was one of the better of the season. some people wanted more "mythology" (which really doesnt even matter to the general scope of the show since they can bypass so much of it), but because it had generally transparent dialog, a mysterious tone, some decent spy fun going on and wasnt corny i was sold. as long as it pushes urgency towards a climax, its good. anything else is tired.

Return to “6x08: Recon”