Jack's alcoholism

Silentbob

Jack's alcoholism

Post by Silentbob »

i am re-watching old episodes (season 1). in your podcast, i think claude mentioned that they didn't touch on jacks alcohol "withdrawals" at all in season 1. i just finished the pilot, and in addition to the exchange with cindy, he also, in the scene where kate is stitching him up, gives her an airplane bottle to disinfect, but tells her to save some for him. so, they did, at one point mention it. i'll report back if there is any other reference to it.

alcohol withdrawals, mostly consisting of shaking, irritability, anxiety, depression, etc. are much more minor than those of heroin, at least, as i have found in my experiences as an irish-american, and having watched that scene in trainspotting, and the part where charlie has withdrawals on lost.

ALSO: in the pilot, jack tells kate that he went to pilot school for a while, but it wasn't for him. will this play a role in the flash-sideways?

Vince

Re: Jack's alcoholism

Post by Vince »

I don't think the Jack/Margo interaction was sposeta tell us Jack is/was an alcoholic. It would take a particularly evil or insanely insensitive mother to offer a drink to her alcoholic child. I think Margo's perspective was that she would understand if Jack needed a drink to ease his pain over Christian's death (as she does) but is proud of him for being stronger than that. The exchange functions nicely as an illustration of Jack avoiding/overcoming the "Christian curse." This is echoed when Jack heals his relationship with his son, which Christian who was unable to do with Jack. Jack is freed from the bonds of the past.

David3

Re: Jack's alcoholism

Post by David3 »

Silentbob wrote:in the scene where kate is stitching him up, gives her an airplane bottle to disinfect, but tells her to save some for him. so, they did, at one point mention it.
I think he meant save some for his wound. He was having her wash her hands with it and asked her to save some for the wound, not to drink.

Return to “6x05: Lighthouse”